Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

3 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Sorry to gatecrash your thread again, but I was wondering if someone is able to help me identify this 37 at Glasgow QS. This is one of my photos which I recently discovered. The loco appears to have a number 7 on the cabside. That may be a clue.

Class 37 at GQS.jpg

My thread has an open door Alcanman, especially if you’re going to post great photos.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/04/2021 at 06:21, young37215 said:

.....Although load 6 was typical, shorter trains were commonplace on the extension as you know and I think shorter trains would make quite a difference to what you can do.....

When I as based at Tom-na-Faire, the “typical max” at Mallaig was 5. We used to stable the Royal Scot (9 as best I remember) at Spean Bridge on a Tuesday night, fetch it into the Fort on Wednesday morning with a 37, and the steamy would take 5 to Mallaig, as that was the max that they could run round. 

As an aside, the oil at Mallaig was for Johnston Bros., the local Ship Chandlers (who also owned the only petrol station), a family business run by my Brother-in-Law’s family, now owned by Denholm, but still trading as Johnston Bros. 

They stopped getting oil by rail when B.R. put the transportation costs up by 60% in one hit in (I think) about 1992/3. A deliberate act, one might consider, to get rid of “unwanted” freight. 

Edited by Deltech
Spelling mistake.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

29 minutes ago, Deltech said:

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Very informative, and I enjoyed yer "warts and all” honestly by including yer mistakes. Well done. 

Thanks Deltech.

I’m glad you enjoyed my ramblings and yes I’ll always be honest about what’s gone wrong as well as right. I’m new to layout building and hopefully other newbies can learn from my mistakes and not replicate them. 

• Like 1

On 25/02/2020 at 09:19, 03060 said:

.....The driver of 37 191 looks as if it might be Callum MacRaild.....

I’m not convinced it’s Callum. I’m more inclined to think it’s Peter “Uncle Peter” Cameron (not my Uncle; just his Depot name).

Hopefully any other ex-Tom-na-Faire men can clarify?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Deltech said:

When I as based at Tom-na-Faire, the “typical max” at Mallaig was 5. We used to stable the Royal Scott (9 as best I remember) at Spean Bridge on a Tuesday night, fetch it into the Fort on Wednesday morning with a 37, and the steamy would take 5 to Mallaig, as that was the max that they could run round. 

As an aside, the oil at Mallaig was for Johnston Bros., the local Ship Chandlers (who also owned the only petrol station), a family business run by my Brother-in-Law’s family, now owned by Denholm, but still trading as Johnston Bros. 

They stopped getting oil by rail when B.R. put the transportation costs up by 60% in one hit in (I think) about 1992/3. A deliberate act, one might consider, to get rid of “unwanted” freight. 

I’m on the lookout for a suitable road tanker I can get some Johnson Bros transfers for. A few photos show it parked by the oil dock. Weren’t Johnson Bros something of the local mafia, fingers in several pies so to speak?

Thanks for the additional information but would you allow me to disagree on the max load? I have definitely seen many trains load six and the Jacobite runs load seven nowadays. I’m pretty sure that the loop hasn’t been extended between these two periods. Was this a max loading for the steam due to perceived limitations of the loco at the time? I’m pretty sure the 1984 steam specials were only load five. However I wasn’t there at the time so I’m only going on photographs and video footage.

cheers

Andy

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Deltech said:

I’m not convinced it’s Callum. I’m more inclined to think it’s Peter “Uncle Peter” Cameron (not my Uncle; just his Depot name).

Hopefully any other ex-Tom-na-Faire men can clarify?

Be great to get these characters scanned by Modeu or am I really going to extremes now? :mellow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mallaig1983 said:

I’m on the lookout for a suitable road tanker I can get some Johnson Bros transfers for. A few photos show it parked by the oil dock. Weren’t Johnson Bros something of the local mafia, fingers in several pies so to speak?

Thanks for the additional information but would you allow me to disagree on the max load? I have definitely seen many trains load six and the Jacobite runs load seven nowadays. I’m pretty sure that the loop hasn’t been extended between these two periods. Was this a max loading for the steam due to perceived limitations of the loco at the time? I’m pretty sure the 1984 steam specials were only load five. However I wasn’t there at the time so I’m only going on photographs and video footage.

cheers

Andy

They used to have old MOT-exempt Fodens that only ran between Station and pier, but now they have to do 2 x return trips to Inverness daily with an articulated tanker, to fill the tanks now situated on the pier (I think they still have a few old wrecks to fuel boats that can’t get close enough to the pier tanks). 

Mafia? Johnston Bros.? God no. There ARE a few “mafia-like” characters in Mallaig but not the Johnstons. They’re still running the ship chandlers, and petrol station, and have a big industrial building where they do net repairs. They also used to have a “Wrangler”(jeans) branded clothes shop, right next door to the chandlery, which the Wife of one of the Sons of the Brothers (my former Sister-in-Law) used to manage, but they closed that maybe 20 years ago now.

I wasn’t quoting any “official” maximum Train length; just what was “typical”, in response to another poster suggesting shorter Trains would look more realistic. 

I’ve been away from Tom-an-Faire since 1993, working for Central Trains, Valley Lines, Northern Spirit (subsequently Arriva Trains Northern), Great Western, Great Western Link, absorbed back into Great(er) Western, and now Heavy Haul, so I can’t comment on whether anything has been lengthened at Mallaig, but my family are still in Fort Bill so I’m up there regularly and aware that the Jacobite exceeds what I as accustomed to on the Royal Scot. 

I’m a diesel man so know hee-haw about steam, but do remember that we had a “Black 5” and a “K 2” when I worked there. 

Edited by Deltech
Corrected an omission.
  • Like 1

Mot exempt as late as that? Wow that’s really interesting. I was aware that the first lorries in Mallaig were not really roadworthy but there was no road that was really vehicle worthy beyond Davies Brae at the time. I believe that local kids playing on one at the pier one evening managed to put it in the drink. This information is from the book ‘A Mallaig Boyhood’

When I refer to the Mafia I don’t mean it literally as in gangsters. It’s a term we use locally to describe a family with a lot of business interests. From reading the history of Mallaig I’ve learned that Johnson Bros over the years have been involved in a few of the businesses in the village, particularly back in the day. 

Sounds like you’ve travelled well with your career. Sounds an interesting life. 

I went to Mallaig in 2011 to do some research and take photographs and I’ve been back every year since. We stayed at the old station Masters house in Morar for a week a couple of times before we started holidaying in the Outer Hebrides. However on our return we’d always overnight at The Western Isles B&B and enjoy a chat with Mrs Watt. My girlfriend still refers to the MV Western Isles as the Bruce boat. I also stayed at Mrs Duncan’s house one week in October a few years back. Two days of an absolute storm blowing when I arrived, I really thought the windows come in. Waking on the 3rd morning to sunshine and views to Rhum and Eigg really does put you in the right mood for the day. I’ve been to Mallaig once or twice every year but sadly like many I didn’t get to go last year. It’s firmly on the agenda for this summer though. 
Next time I’m there I’ll pop into the chandlers. I’ve been in a couple of times looking for a Mallaig branded cap I saw a fisherman wearing on a BBC Alba program. Perhaps you could hint they should stock them :-)

Andy

Edited by mallaig1983
Predictive text thinking it knows best.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Sounds like you’ve travelled well with your career. Sounds an interesting life. 

I’ve certainly enjoyed myself, made a lot of friends, driven a wide variety of Trains, and over a wide variety of routes. 

But I realised on my Daughter's 16th birthday that this was the 8th house she’d lived in, so decided enough was enough, and I’ve been with Heavy Haul 13 years now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

However on our return we’d always overnight at The Western Isles B&B and enjoy a chat with Mrs Watt. My girlfriend still refers to the MV Western Isles as the Bruce boat.

Bruce & Mrs Watt.....

Back in the 80s, a lot of Mallaig kids used to attend Lochaber High School in Fort William (before the NEW Mallaig High School was built), and lodge all week. The Watts’ older Daughter (Pamela) was in my year, and I really fancied her. Everybody did. She was absolutely film star/glamour model stunning. 

Wind on a few years and I married another Mallaig girl who hated her lol.

Anyway, I’m beginning to turn this into my very own “This is your life”......

Any updates (and photos/videos) of the layout?

No carry on, it’s really interesting...

ive got a 5 day weekend this weekend. Combination of the bank holiday and a couple of days on furlough so I’m hoping to get a bit more progress done. Got to sort out one of the warts first though as half of the layout doesn’t have current. It’s the section from the crossover to the north end buffer stop on the main, loop and siding. However platform 2 and the oil dock still has current which is bizzar as the feed comes off the same part of the bus. I’m a bit baffled but I’m guessing that this power must be coming through the points. So I need to get the electrician’s screwdriver out and have a little tinker. Always love being contorted underneath the layout trying to sort out things I can’t fathom. It’s a good excuse to tidy up the wiring so the bulls horns must be grabbed. I’ve been working on the wall and bridge by the crossover but I’m not quite ready to show and tell as it’s a work in progress. A few things are going on slowly in the background just nothing finished at the moment.

Fort William will be the next part of the scheme to be built. Since I decided to include it I can’t wait to build it, hopefully into something recognisable. 

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Fort William will be the next part of the scheme to be built. Since I decided to include it I can’t wait to build it, hopefully into something recognisable. 

I can't wait for you to build Fort William.  Another pic of 37264 at FW, I recently 'found'. The loco seem to turn up everywhere during the last week of August 1984.

37264 at Fort William , Aug '84.jpg

• Like 3

Another wonderful photograph. Seems that the loco followed you around that week. Lucky you. 
Im looking forward to building Fort William but at the moment it’s just a couple of lines of masking tape on the floor and will probably be the case for a few months. I’m probably going to use Markway points and C&L flexitrack. I can’t use the Peco bullhead here as the new station was built in the early 70s and used flat bottom rail. Originally I did plan on using Peco flat bottom rail but Mallaig and Glenfinnan will both be the bullhead type with the correct sleeper spacing and knowing how my head works it will end up annoying me that Fort William will look different. I’m not knocking the standard Peco offering, far from it and I’m not a track obsessive but seeing as I’ve started with the correctly spaced sleeper option I think I should continue. However this wil have a cost implication therefore delaying the project. I don’t really want to divert funds from what I’m doing and what needs doing at Mallaig. I need to pay down my Accurascale account, pay for an Ethel, get a static grass applicator, air brush, etc etc. I think I’ll be picking up and putting down Fort William in between the main focus of developing Mallaig.

It’ll happen though.

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

As I’m now working on the layouts scenery inevitably at some point I’ll be trying my hand at static grass. There are a few applicators on the market and I was just wondering if any followers of this thread had any recommendations? Basically what do you guys use and are you happy with the tool and the effects. Does your particular machine have limits? I don’t have big wide open fields to grass so I don’t need something that will do huge areas. I am doing research on the web and YouTube but I just wondered what my RMweb buddies were using.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I have one that is at the top end of the price range.  More importantly though, I did try a cheaper one first, one of the ones that  looks like a kitchen sieve but found I just couldn’t get it to work properly.  Perhaps others have had more success but I guess it’s a case of you get what you pay for.

Would that be the Green keeper one? I’m watching reviews on YouTube at the minute and Geek Gaming Scenics was very impressed with that one. Also other folks on the web have raved about it. That’s beyond my budget a bit. I have friends who have the cheaper ones and have been happy with them as a budget introduction to static grass but are looking to upgrade to the next level. I guess I’ve narrowed it down to something like the WWS/Peco vs the Noch. Certainly something in that sort of price range. I think the Noch is a bit more expensive than the WWS and many rave about it but I’ve also read that the WWS is both really good and also disappointing. 
I would certainly go for the Green Keeper if I wasn’t in the middle of a model railway expenses juggling act at the moment.

Just thought, someone might make the suggestion that I pool resources with my friends which would be the perfect thing to do if we wernt scattered across the country. I think it would probably be the most well traveled static grass applicator there was.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Would that be the Green keeper one?

Good grief, I wasn’t even aware of that one - and I thought the one I bought quite expensive.  It is one of the WWSones.  I made sure I bought the different grids for different length grasses. It does seem to make a difference. 

Ah that’s interesting as I’m looking at a WWS/Peco one. I’ve just put Exeter and Laira on YouTube and Tim is using a Peco branded one (made by WWS) so if he’s using one and you’re happy with yours I think that’s a decent enough endorsement. 
Thanks

By the way the Green Keeper one is really powerful and does a great job on longer grasses so probably a good choice for anyone modelling in O gauge. 

A bit of afternoon pottering on the layout today mainly progressing the small sea wall and bridge. These are now in position and painted but the stone wall needs its mortar wash and then weathering. The concrete section below has been painted and more rocks have been added to represent how the concrete and rocks were incorporated to make the base of the wall. Again weathering is required.

The platform lighting has been installed but requires wiring up. The lamp stations do seem to add a nice dimension to the platform.

The fault with the track power was resolved on Saturday so some operating has been done. 
Other bits and pieces are in the early stage including some work around the oil terminal which will be the next focus of attention. 
A couple of buildings have been started but without measurements it’s a case of build it, evaluate it and either scrap and start again or proceed. I’m using greyboard for the carcasses. Embossed plastikard is on order. I will need to get some foliage and scatter materials in soon. I have been like a rabbit in the headlights at times recently not really knowing what to do next and consequently not getting much done but this weekends progress has focused the mind a bit and I think I know where I’m going now. Much spare time has been spent watching Everard Junction and Exeter & Laira on YouTube so although a lack of work on the layout but much learning has been achieved. I have found that periods of being a bit stuck are generally followed by periods of activity so hopefully decent progress can now be made.

ABE679C0-5276-4853-8C90-FF2D17CB419F.jpeg

3DB25D17-BA5D-474E-AB6B-835820B1FAF0.jpeg

B8086041-4828-419F-9D65-599A3ABB20C0.jpeg

• Like 8