Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

Thanks David’s. I’m chuffed that I seem to be getting it right direction. I have learned that it pays to do research and research is fun. For anyone about to embark on similar here’s what I did. The hills are formed by shaped insulation foam which was then covered in plaster bandage which in turn was covered in Sculptamould and painted brown. I built up the greenery in layers. I used a Heath green scatter which I dusted with ‘soil’ scatter and a brown to break up the colour and add some tones. Hedge clumps we’re dotted around and also placed together, both light and dark green. Static grass is WWS ‘patchy’ , rambling weeds are teased polyfibre covered in various scatters. Some areas have ‘heather’ scatter and the gorse bushes are Jarvis lichen. These bushes are awaiting their yellow flowers. I explained how I’d made and coloured the rocks further up stream in this  thread. If this information is useful for anyone nervous about starting out then great. Build it up bit by bit, don’t try and do it all at once. 
I really must thank ‘Mouldy Raspberry, The Scrapline and Everard Junction YouTube channels, amongst many others for showing us newbies their techniques.

Right, with renewed confidence I shall plough on.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou for that, my current thinking is that the left hand side of my project will have a Mallaig throat feel to it so have been watching "your" rocks with a certain amount of (self) interest above and beyond the mandatory West Highland requirements.:D

• Funny 1

It is great when you do something new and it works! Last week I used static grass for the first time on my diorama of Embo and it worked a treat.

As you say onwards and upwards.

Cheers

David

PS I am colour blind too, it does not seem to hamper me much 

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, David Bell said:

It is great when you do something new and it works! Last week I used static grass for the first time on my diorama of Embo and it worked a treat.

As you say onwards and upwards.

Cheers

David

PS I am colour blind too, it does not seem to hamper me much 

I was worried that someone would comment that I had all the right colours but in all the wrong places lol. Obviously the scatters and flocks etc state what they are on the packets so at least I knew what it was supposed to be. Mother nature does a fantastic job and to be able to replicate it her work using man made materials was a concern. To me what I’d done looked good but I had no idea if it was perhaps to garish or even to bland. Full on confidence now so thanks for the input.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Wow, that is seriously good.  Not  just in the creation of a life-like scene, but the reproduction of the scene of "Coull's Castle". Extremely well observed.

Is that what that area is known as David?

Thanks for the kind words.

Hi

Great work....Looking amazing......

Just a quick point......

You say the bushes are awaiting their yellow flowers.....

If that's the gorse bushes they flower late winter/early spring  & I had assumed your scene was set later in the year....

Keep up the excellent work....

I've been following at a distance for a while & have been enjoying your great progress....

Cheers Bill

14 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Great work....Looking amazing......

Just a quick point......

If that's the gorse bushes they flower late winter/early spring  & I had assumed your scene was set later in the year....

Keep up the excellent work....

I've been following at a distance for a while & have been enjoying your great progress....

Cheers Bill

Thanks Bill. Yes the yellow flowers are/were intended for the gorse. Now I know that all gorses are not born equal but here in North Wales they flower from January to June. Perhaps their Scottish cousins are a bit earlier. My layout is based on June. This is basically because there was a class 20 hauled service to Mallaig on the 3rd and I’ve always been fascinated by this working. I know class 20s did operate to Mallaig on other occasions but I believe this was the only time in 83. However I have no idea what locos were on the other services that day and if I did then I’d probably drive myself mad trying to find out what coaches were in what set, on what service and in what order hehe. In all seriousness the layout is set late spring / early summer but that’s just a basis really. I have an earlier style 37 and a couple of 27s for operating in 1980. I also like the idea of operating early summer 1984 with the first large logo 37264 making an appearance to revoke the excitement I felt when I saw a photo of it on Rannoch viaduct in one of Dads magazines. I’ll probably also operate it as a winter service at times. Hopefully one day someone will develop scenery that you plant, it grows, flowers and dies back all while changing colour lol. I some how can’t see it. So I’m basing the layout build as June 83 but I will work with the usual model railway compromises that we all face.

Thanks for popping by and for your kind words, encouragement and advice. I hope this thread will continue to keep you entertained.

Andy

• Like 2

On 27/08/2021 at 23:42, DavidBird said:

Wow, that is seriously good.  Not  just in the creation of a life-like scene, but the reproduction of the scene of "Coull's Castle". Extremely well observed.

On 28/08/2021 at 11:31, mallaig1983 said:

Is that what that area is known as David?

Thanks for the kind words.

There are 6 flats in that block, 2 on each floor.  At one time every one of them was occupied by a branch of the Coull family, my late father-in-law was one of them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, DavidBird said:

There are 6 flats in that block, 2 on each floor.  At one time every one of them was occupied by a branch of the Coull family, my late father-in-law was one of them.

Hence the name. Great story. I do enjoy these little snippets of information. I’ve become fascinated with the history of Mallaig and always enjoy information like this.

Thanks 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, treggyman said:

Just a quick point......

Hi,

there's a saying about gorse flowers: "When gorse is not in bloom kissing is out of fashion!"  If you look carefully at gorse, especially the larger clumps, you can usually find a few flowers at any time of year.  When I lived in Oban a few flowers could be found even in the depth of winter.  And, as far as I know, kissing is never out of fashion!

Roja

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think that all of the yellow flowering shrubs in the West Highlands are solely Gorse as I think Broom is also quite prevelant, similar size to gorse but without the spines and flowers Apr, May and June time, a member of the pea family, I've just learnt.

On a slightly different but similar tangent I made a rare drive (for me) up through the central Highlands (A9) the other year and was amazed at how many wild Lupins there were around in that area, very colourful.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thanks Bill. Yes the yellow flowers are/were intended for the gorse. Now I know that all gorses are not born equal but here in North Wales they flower from January to June. Perhaps their Scottish cousins are a bit earlier. My layout is based on June. This is basically because there was a class 20 hauled service to Mallaig on the 3rd and I’ve always been fascinated by this working. I know class 20s did operate to Mallaig on other occasions but I believe this was the only time in 83. However I have no idea what locos were on the other services that day and if I did then I’d probably drive myself mad trying to find out what coaches were in what set, on what service and in what order hehe. In all seriousness the layout is set late spring / early summer but that’s just a basis really. I have an earlier style 37 and a couple of 27s for operating in 1980. I also like the idea of operating early summer 1984 with the first large logo 37264 making an appearance to revoke the excitement I felt when I saw a photo of it on Rannoch viaduct in one of Dads magazines. I’ll probably also operate it as a winter service at times. Hopefully one day someone will develop scenery that you plant, it grows, flowers and dies back all while changing colour lol. I some how can’t see it. So I’m basing the layout build as June 83 but I will work with the usual model railway compromises that we all face.

Thanks for popping by and for your kind words, encouragement and advice. I hope this thread will continue to keep you entertained.

Andy

Hi Andy

It's probably the location then as here in deepest Cornwall plants tend to flower earlier than in some other parts of the country & it can flower from November on but is normally virtually over by April........

As regards the saying regarding kissing Wickepedia says (so it must be true ) that there is always a gorse of some description flowering..... though not necessarily the bush gorse as I would call it.....

I shall certainly continue to enjoy your excellent modelling by following your excellent layout thread....

Keep up the good work

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Bit more scenic effort this past couple of afternoons. I’ve moved down to the area around the oil terminal where a base layer has gone down plus a gravelled area behind the shops for the electric board and post office vehicles to park. I’ve also seen a photo of the obligatory boat here too so that will have to be included. I have finished ‘concreting’ the oil dock platform and the rock faces now have some rambling shrubbery growing on them. Lots of glue is drying now and more products are on order. I’m pretty chuffed with progress so far so here are a couple of update photos.

E5A1F1F3-7100-4CFF-B146-CB09E515A830.jpeg

7D04179D-CD83-494E-8E78-D0B5876EFDEF.jpeg

C79B8988-A86D-4908-AA59-DA7D64279FAD.jpeg

• Like 5

I really should now crack on and finish Coull’s Castle and the boat repair workshop building. And sort out a proper layout lighting arrangement. 
photos taken with an iPhone.

73D3D6EF-D214-413E-A452-CB1968120534.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Has this site got a bit of a glitch this weekend? I’m struggling with it on my phone. I can’t access my notifications. When I click on them they are hidden on the next screen by an advert and when I X out of the advert there is just a blank box there still covering my notifications. I just wondered if I was struggling alone?

Andy

Hi All,

Has this site got a bit of a glitch this weekend? I’m struggling with it on my phone. I can’t access my notifications. When I click on them they are hidden on the next screen by an advert and when I X out of the advert there is just a blank box there still covering my notifications. I just wondered if I was struggling alone?

Andy

E404B8D5-82B3-43E8-BF42-425B4F15657D.png

E3FFDCC0-97CA-4A0D-8A8A-4E4950310E9F.png

Thanks for your response. 
I can still navigate around the site but I have to do it bathe hard way and check the threads I’m following via the search feature. The notifications feature is great but obviously only if we can use it. I can’t get access to my DMs either. I’m guessing/hoping that Andy and friends will remedy this and we can all go back to the user friendly version. I’m sure we’re not the only ones.

Thanks again 

Being discussed here- not a 'glitch' unfortunately....

I've found on my phone (Android & Chrome) that clicking the 3 dots, top right corner, then selecting Desktop View from the menu that comes up, gets rid of the blank box that covers the top bar of the Forum otherwise.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

Can’t see my notifications on either the mobile site or desktop version today. Both being viewed on my iPhone. Hopefully this will get sorted soon as it’s spoiling the enjoyment of this site. Yes I get the site has to be funded but surely not to the detriment of actually being able to use it? 

• Agree 1