Mallaig and the Road To The Isles

mallaig1983

On 11/11/2021 at 09:00, clachnaharry said:

I think the Fort William one came from Marylebone about 20 years ago. I think there was an intention at the time to also put one in at Mallaig, but that fell by the wayside.

I am not sure if the Fort William one has ever been used., but if so, it would remove the requirement to run tender first across Rannoch Moor at the start of the season.

Indeed it did.  It was removed from Marylebone with the aid of a large road crane, positioned very carefully over the bridge piers of the Rossmore Road bridge.

There were plans for one at Mallaig, with one (ironically ex-SVR, not needed by them after installation of the original Fort William turntable) purchased and in storage for several years in a council depot in Fort William awaiting refurbishment.  Unfortunately funding was not available without a firm commitment for its use....

I have recently come across in a box in the loft, some of the original documentation and plans for the installation. It was proposed to install the Mallaig turntable either on the site of the storage sidings to the south of the station or on the site of the cattle dock/oil storage tanks.

The one installed at Fort William, whilst not used regularly, has been used on occasion for turning steam engines, and also (or so I've been told) for turning 156 vehicles and even 66s.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2021 at 16:17, mallaig1983 said:

You’ll have to report back here and let us know how it sounds. Once you’ve had a few hours playing/testing of course.

Right, the sound chip is now fitted. I’m pleased with the sound project but disappointed with the speakers and the lack of clear instructions on fitting. It’s more difficult in O gauge with the loco circuit board being replaced with the chip and the instructions provided by legomanbiffo are minimal. I still can’t get the fan to work so that will be yet another phone call!

He also supplied a fairly ordinary speaker (equivalent to Youchoos YLR 603010) which for the money, I thought was disappointing. I have added a second Rail exclusive dumbo speaker under the fan. Here is a short video of a test run on the embryonic club layout (less cold than my garden railway!).

I’d be interested in comments on the sound.

The loco will be painted blue as 37051 (my favourite) in due course. I intend to fit a pair of Youchoos YLR453520 speakers in the fuel tanks to see if that improves the bass. I’ll report back on that. 

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

I’m currently only running 3 sound fitted locos, two of which were bought new with factory fitted sound around ten years ago and desperately in need of a reblow and better speakers. The 3rd is my current favourite loco and has a Legoman Biffo WD sound file and a roads and rails double IPhone speaker which was purchased from Biff at the same time as the chip on his recommendation. I have no confidence in soldering with the fidelity needed to fit this speaker and with wounded confidence after I discovered the alternative meaning of ‘frying chips’ I dispatched the loco, speaker and chip to Richard Croft at Roads and Rails for him to fit for me. I have no problem paying th small charge for this as I’d rather not fry more chips. He has a wealth of knowledge and supplies a variety of speakers and is very helpful.

I think your 37 sounds very nice but I’m listening through my own ears and don’t know the exact sound you’d like to hear. Also what is available for an O gauge loco I don’t really know. Richard would be my choice for some advice.

Andy 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your comments Andy. I rather enjoy fitting the sound myself…provided the instructions are OK! This was my first attempt at an o gauge diesel - the next will be easier and I’ll go back to Youchoos as their customer service is fantastic and I prefer Zimo chips. I only swapped because I wanted to try the Legomanbiffo WD sound project. Also, I’m too mean to pay someone else to do it! 

I’d seen something similar to your speaker test from Road and Rails and that’s where I bought my large bass speakers from. They arrived today so will hopefully be fitted tomorrow.

There’s no doubt in my mind that sound dramatically increases the ‘play value’ . I’m sure you’ll be fitting more locos before long.

Andy

On 24/10/2021 at 08:03, young37215 said:

Like the video, setting up your own Youtube channel is very easy.

Sound is very much a personal choice. For speakers my current preference is the Zimo double dumbo sold by Youchoose which aside from the much more expensive earth mover, has the best base sound to suit a class 37. It is an easy fit requiring just 2 solder joints, others must think the same because it is currently out of stock at Youchoose!   

Andy

It’s also worth baring in mind Rob’s views. You can hear some of the sounds of his 37s on his YouTube videos. Obviously he’s modelling 4mm as well and I’m a bit ignorant as to what you can fit into an O gauge loco but a bit of food for thought.

Looks like our messages crossed at the same time. You’ve actually gone with what Rob has suggested anyway. His locos do sound very nice. 

I too will be taking his advice and seeing what my next loco sounds like compared to 37112. I did have a second sound chip but I fried it but it is my intention to fit all my locos with sound as and when. I’m really looking forward to hearing what the Accurascale ones sound like when they arrive.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Andy

It’s also worth baring in mind Rob’s views. You can hear some of the sounds of his 37s on his YouTube videos. Obviously he’s modelling 4mm as well and I’m a bit ignorant as to what you can fit into an O gauge loco but a bit of food for thought.

Yes, I did listen to Rob’s videos which is what started me thinking about the logomanbiffo project. 

One problem is that I’m listening to all these videos on my iPad which doesn’t really do them justice. The large speakers I can fit in o gauge are definitely better than anything which can be reproduced by an iPad. Short of linking my PC and hifi I don’t know what the solution to that is.

Andy

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Looks like our messages crossed at the same time. You’ve actually gone with what Rob has suggested anyway. His locos do sound very nice. 

I too will be taking his advice and seeing what my next loco sounds like compared to 37112. I did have a second sound chip but I fried it but it is my intention to fit all my locos with sound as and when. I’m really looking forward to hearing what the Accurascale ones sound like when they arrive.

We crossed again!

The Accurascale one will be interesting. I might be tempted to replace my 00 Bachmann version as I’ve never been happy with the sound project on that. I have one of their 00 Deltics on order. If only they’d do some 0 gauge locos!

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Santa came to visit last week. I’d bought a couple of TTA wagons as I hadn’t got any in grey with red solebar and they arrived on Thursday so it was a nice surprise to find the  parcel on the doorstep when I got home from work. A couple of model railway magazines were also found on the other side of the letterbox so Thursday was a good day. 

Ive not done a huge amount on the layout recently bar a bit of a continuation of the greenery. The glaring omission of buildings persuaded me that I really do need to get on with some scratch building. The Wills sheets for the boat yard workshop roof have now arrived and are being fitted but a curiosity about modelling with the wills coarse stone sheets grew legs. I had planned to model the loco shed in half relief and after construction of the first wall was completed this was still very definitely the plan. I’d used 8 of the sheets glued back to back and drilled and cut the window openings. I found this very hard work and it took a good few sessions to complete. I thought I’m glad that other buildings only need to be single skinned. I then realised that I could have made the engine shed wall in an easier way. So I decided to put that theory to the test and measured and cut the first opening. I then cut a sheet in half, offered it up back to back and drew through the opening onto the half sheet. Once that one was cut out I used plastic weld to hold the two pieces together and used a file to ensue that the holes1379818B-AFCE-4327-8496-B8A82774A91D.jpeg.1fbe1c3eade84517668a183436299a89.jpeg cut separately matched up. I continued this method overlapping the two sheets by 50% and cut a sheet, offered it up, drew the other side, cut that out, glued the pieces back to back and on to the next. Very much easier and therefore quicker. I’ve almost finished the derelict shed but have just ordered slate sheets to complete. Here are a couple of pics to prove I’ve not been

35CFAA94-B515-4F1C-9384-D832F538D1EF.jpeg

F90B94A2-CEDC-4292-ABFA-4E72D5629187.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Santa came to visit last week. I’d bought a couple of TTA wagons as I hadn’t got any in grey with red solebar and they arrived on Thursday so it was a nice surprise to find the  parcel on the doorstep when I got home from work. A couple of model railway magazines were also found on the other side of the letterbox so Thursday was a good day. 

Ive not done a huge amount on the layout recently bar a bit of a continuation of the greenery. The glaring omission of buildings persuaded me that I really do need to get on with some scratch building. The Wills sheets for the boat yard workshop roof have now arrived and are being fitted but a curiosity about modelling with the wills coarse stone sheets grew legs. I had planned to model the loco shed in half relief and after construction of the first wall was completed this was still very definitely the plan. I’d used 8 of the sheets glued back to back and drilled and cut the window openings. I found this very hard work and it took a good few sessions to complete. I thought I’m glad that other buildings only need to be single skinned. I then realised that I could have made the engine shed wall in an easier way. So I decided to put that theory to the test and measured and cut the first opening. I then cut a sheet in half, offered it up back to back and drew through the opening onto the half sheet. Once that one was cut out I used plastic weld to hold the two pieces together and used a file to ensue that the holes1379818B-AFCE-4327-8496-B8A82774A91D.jpeg.1fbe1c3eade84517668a183436299a89.jpeg cut separately matched up. I continued this method overlapping the two sheets by 50% and cut a sheet, offered it up, drew the other side, cut that out, glued the pieces back to back and on to the next. Very much easier and therefore quicker. I’ve almost finished the derelict shed but have just ordered slate sheets to complete. Here are a couple of pics to prove I’ve not been

35CFAA94-B515-4F1C-9384-D832F538D1EF.jpeg

F90B94A2-CEDC-4292-ABFA-4E72D5629187.jpeg

Nice work Andy. The shed is instantly recognisable as Mallaig.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not really sure what the correct title for this piece of architecture is called. I’ve always referred to it simply as ‘The Wall’. The paint had dried and this morning I have offered the wall back into position. There should be a small block at the end of it next to the ground frame which has been painted to match and I’m hopeful that it will turn up again somewhere. If not I’ll make another. No biggy really. 

84B67698-70B3-4984-BE02-635293022EA9.jpeg

1E931FF4-0CFE-4B42-A956-338B1DCAA4B2.jpeg

8DB01F29-23CA-496C-8997-E3E68F3D5E97.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Work on the layout over the past few weeks has mainly be concentrated on workbench based projects. This has for the most part been the work on the former locomotive shed as described in my recent post. The incomplete roof is now complete (?) and the building has been placed on the layout. As mentioned previously I originally only intended to model this in half relief but I’m glad I got carried away with it as I’m really happy with it. I think now that my Christmas modelling will be to continue this area and get the point rodding in to the ground frame, patch reballasting, laying the gravel for the yard, security fencing etc. Unless of coarse I get sidetracked and do more work on the boat repair yard area. Perhaps I’ll find time for both but unlike last year we’re not on lockdown and there are other demands on my time.

The rocky shoreline has had tallus added which makes quite a difference to it. I did find that this took quite some glueing down. I had to give it four good soakings off the usual 50/50 mix but perseverance has paid off. It is laid thicker than ballast though so perhaps I should have expected this. Anyway I’m happy enough with the results to post update piccies.

I hope all of you and your families are staying safe as these challenging times continue. I’ve certainly found my modelling and you all in the RMweb community to be a blessing and I’d like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Andy

5F96471D-DBF3-4376-B927-F88313EC8A88.jpeg

EB25191B-C1ED-46FB-8B8B-FA1BB8046BB1.jpeg

A17FDF92-9E2D-46C3-A061-7B6957C0D8E6.jpeg

2E961F5A-42DE-44D0-8D74-4299032A9BDE.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 12/10/2021 at 11:00, BoD said:

I’m guessing that you will have already seen this photo.

37114 at Mallaig

I have been trying to identify the origins of this grounded van body for some time and latterly the container too. I’m approaching the point where these will be incorporated on the model. I think I’m going to have to go with something more generic but similar looking. If anyone following had any knowledge or thoughts on either of the bodies I’d really appreciate a pointer.

Thanks.

9B3E0BF5-485D-4CEA-BC6E-C66BC1847EAD.jpeg

Edited by mallaig1983
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Work on the layout over the past few weeks has mainly be concentrated on workbench based projects. This has for the most part been the work on the former locomotive shed as described in my recent post. The incomplete roof is now complete (?) and the building has been placed on the layout. As mentioned previously I originally only intended to model this in half relief but I’m glad I got carried away with it as I’m really happy with it. I think now that my Christmas modelling will be to continue this area and get the point rodding in to the ground frame, patch reballasting, laying the gravel for the yard, security fencing etc. Unless of coarse I get sidetracked and do more work on the boat repair yard area. Perhaps I’ll find time for both but unlike last year we’re not on lockdown and there are other demands on my time.

The rocky shoreline has had tallus added which makes quite a difference to it. I did find that this took quite some glueing down. I had to give it four good soakings off the usual 50/50 mix but perseverance has paid off. It is laid thicker than ballast though so perhaps I should have expected this. Anyway I’m happy enough with the results to post update piccies.

I hope all of you and your families are staying safe as these challenging times continue. I’ve certainly found my modelling and you all in the RMweb community to be a blessing and I’d like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Andy

5F96471D-DBF3-4376-B927-F88313EC8A88.jpeg

EB25191B-C1ED-46FB-8B8B-FA1BB8046BB1.jpeg

A17FDF92-9E2D-46C3-A061-7B6957C0D8E6.jpeg

2E961F5A-42DE-44D0-8D74-4299032A9BDE.jpeg

First class Andy

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the grounded body an LNER 10t banana van?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail?id=1018

The model doesn't have the roof ridgesas in the photograph  but if you scroll down to the prototype picture it looks as though it might.  Can't quite make it out.

Other ex GER vans seem to have that style of door too.

If not exactly that one, do you think it’s similar enough to be better than something generic?

Edited by BoD

BoD many thanks, I was unaware of this forthcoming model and I’m very grateful for the heads up. It certainly does look very similar and could very well be an exact match but even if not it’s certainly good enough for use as a grounded body. 

Im awarding you the prestigious honour of “Contributer of the most useful post to the Mallaig thread December 2021’ for that. 

Well chuffed, Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Festive Salutations to everyone. I do enjoy a few days off work and some modelling on the layout. As stated in a previous post I’d intended to crack on with the area between the engine shed and the station but the wind changed direction and I did indeed end up concentrating on the boatyard. 
Today armed with a couple of not particularly helpful photos I scratch built the boat cradle for McLennan’s slipway. It’s now nice and rusty and in position but the camera cruelly highlights a few areas requiring touching up. 
After a long hard day at the workbench I had to run some trains and I filmed a couple of services on my phone which whrbert has put on to YouTube if anyone fancies a look. A keen eye will probably notice the part built Heather Ann on the slip for repairs is due to probably being holed by the Peco track rubber. 
Anyway here is the YouTube link 

And here are today’s build pics.

I hope you are all enjoying the festivities and keeping safe and well.

6B45C4D4-1293-4129-8429-41CD45E05A80.jpeg

44887A91-BB8A-47C6-93F2-B04081B8C9B1.jpeg

CFFE11AF-FB37-4A5A-AD65-C0A2E43455F7.jpeg

• Like 11