Yellow Panels on Brake Vans

Caledonian

What I hope will be a quick and dirty one...

When were the yellow panels first painted on through-piped BR brake vans. Would they have been seen on steam-hauled trains or are they a diesel thing?

5 minutes ago, keefer said:

Into the '80/90s they were used on air-braked trains that required propelling en route as they had a brake valve, under control of the guard/shunter

Surely all piped brake vans, whether vacuum, air or both, had brake valves so that the guard could apply the through brake, what they didn't have were brakes operated by that through pipe - the theory being that the guard could always apply the handbrake if the brake power of the van was required.

Agree with Keefer and Mark S. If you go on LNER Grain Wagon thread in preservation you will see details including piping and under frame of one of the narrow footsteps vehicles. 

It was in use at a power station, used for early passenger rides at Lincolnshire Wolds Railway but wet powdered coal and time hasn’t done much for the frame. 

Currently in siding outside as very “sick”  needing extra TLC to the top and yours truly is out of action with a fracture ankle. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

41 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Surely all piped brake vans, whether vacuum, air or both, had brake valves so that the guard could apply the through brake, what they didn't have were brakes operated by that through pipe - the theory being that the guard could always apply the handbrake if the brake power of the van was required.

Yes all piped BVs had a brake valve but a van that was vacuum piped only could not apply the train brakes on a Air braked train, it needed an air pipe for that.

15 hours ago, Caledonian said:

What I hope will be a quick and dirty one...

When were the yellow panels first painted on through-piped BR brake vans. Would they have been seen on steam-hauled trains or are they a diesel thing?

Dave Larkin has yellow panels being applied to brake vans modified with air pipes in 1968 to cater for the introduction of air braked stock.

I remember painting these yellow panels on my Triang-Hornby BR brake van circa 1971 and adding "TO WORK WITH AIR-BRAKED TRAINS ONLY" (much like the Bachmann model currently available from Kernow) using a sharpened matchstick. These days I'd struggle to see the matchstick :blink: !!

The yellow was Humbrol no 8, sadly missed as nothing available these days has that kind of density.......

• Like 1

The yellow panels to identify (air) piped vans referred to in the OP were on the sides of the vans, around but not including the lookout ducket, as well as a central panel on the end.

Yellow end panels, or by that time more likely wasp stripes, on vans adapted for propelling movements were a different matter and came much later.