Mk1 coach bsk luggage cage

• RMweb Gold

So you might have seen in another thread that I am following others examples and refurbishing and detailing some triang mk 1 coaches.

On the work bench are two BSKs.

These had a secure luggage area that was fenced off by means of a wire cage. The triang coaches represent this by a solid moulding with wiring scribes on it. See picture.

20200224_194821.jpg.4f640e73edee59ac881917073b7f7cae.jpg

To me this is a problem as it means you can't see through the luggage van windows to the other side. I have found some plastic mesh that you can see in the picture that is a fairly good match compared to the triang moulding. 

Question is, how best to replace it. I could try cutting out the moulded mesh and refitting the new. But trying to cut and file accurately to all tgge varous moulded uprights sounds very laborious. I could just rip it all out and try and build a new framework, but what from....

It is complicated by the fact that the wire cage should go right round the end where triang have a plain moulding.

Currently I am thinking to cut out the straight piece completely between the guards compartment and the end curves, leaving the end curves in place. Then cutting and fixing a new piece of plasticard for the top of the frame. I think this is easier than trying to cut to the moulding. Then I can fix the netting to the new rail and the floor.

It might be possible to replicate the door uprights from microstrip glued to the netting, not sure yet if I'll do that.

I think that will give the effect I want of being able to see through the security cage.

Any advice, anyone done this before?

A project I've had (for ages) using some mesh sold here in Italy to keep mosquitoes at bay. It's a bit heavy but should be OK through the windows. Most of my Mk Is are Kitmaster and have the Peco card interiors. My one attempt so far, cutting out the cardboard, was a failure as it was insufficiently  robust. I think I'll have to make a new frame from brass strip. Luckily it won't be very visible. IIRC (it was a long time ago) the frame and netting was always dark red like the Peco kit.