Hornby Select contoller

AlabB

Hi

I want to use my Select controller with my Marklin K-track which I also use for 2-rail operation.

When I connect the Select I get the OL error code although there is nothing on the track! Have checked and there is no shorts anywhere. Also I get an error code of E5. What does this mean?

Alan

OL is Over Load and the system has shut down to protect itself from excessive current draw or a short circuit.

ES is Emergency Stop 

Both abbreviations are explained in the Select manual...Page 31   If you don't have a manual its downloadable from the Hornby web site here.. Link to Hornby Select manual download

I have to admit I have no working knowledge of Marklin K track, but isn't it two rail anyway?  Are the Marklin points live frog or Insulated frog?  

Remove all wires from the Select's rear terminals, then power up.  Does it start up correctly? If so, the problem is within the layout wiring or a short on the rails somewhere - Unnoticed metal tool laying across rails or a reverse loop of track has been connected. Or a cross connection somewhere in the rails wiring?

With all wires removed and the O/L still appears then the Select is defective and should be returned to Hornby for repair and possible upgrading if its at a lower version than V1.6  The software version is shown by the first of the three lots of digits that appear on powering up e.g. 13 or 16 etc.  V 1.6 is the latest and offers much more scope and is well worth getting the Select updated to even if its at V 1.5.  Hornby have been charging £15 for this including return UK postage, but you must get  a returns number first from Hornby.

Edited by Brian
Comment re Marklin added

I've looked up K track, and eventually found comments by users that it's supposed to let you run 2 rail locos. The Marklin website seems remarksbly reticent on te subject, though perhaps I haven't looked hard enough. But there are comments that there can be problems if you have points. However, if it's been working for you on 2 rail DC, then I'd expect it to work with 2 rail DCC. Nevertheless, I would be suspicious that there is a short somewhere, but you say that you can't find any.

What made you choose K track anyway? Marklin wouldn't be my first choice because of it's long stsnding use of 3 rail  and of AC.