Brand New Loksound v5 Suddenly unresponsive and buzz sound

TheEastSuffolkman

Hello All,

I wonder if someone can help me.

I recently brought a Loksound V5 with Bif 37/0WD Sounds on it for my Bachmann 37/0, this being the latest model with sound pre fitted. I removed the original Loksound Select and Speaker and replaced them with the V5 and a Rail Exclusive Boom Box Speaker. After fitting, i tested the fitting with the body off to make sure all was good before battening down the hatches on the model to enjoy. All started off well with horns playing, RETB transmissions and the like. Then i though i'd test out the Wheelslip feature. All started off well but then the decoder suddenly became unresponsive to the controller and was emitting a loud, high pitched buzz from the speaker, that i feel can only be best described as sounding like an AWS Horn. In shock, i immediately took the loco off the track to clear the fault and tried putting it back on. Once back on, all seemed to be reset and tried again, after about a minute, just after starting to test the drive sounds again, same fault. I tried this several more times to check if it was a recurring issue and it seems to be, although direction of travel seems to be no particular factor and the fault would occur at random times (i.e. not after the same amound of usage each time, sometimes more, sometimes less.)

After no avail on the actual layout, i have brought it onto my Lokprogrammer and have been running it for about 20mins with no issue as i type, trying various speeds, directions and other sound functions trying to recreate the fault to no avail.

The controller that i use on my layout is the Lenz Set 101

Am i the only one whose experienced this on a V5, am i missing something stupidly obvious or is this a known issue?

Attached is a video link that i have uploaded to YT that actually shows the fault in progress: 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

• Friendly/supportive 1

I did try a double iphone from yourself in this and had the same fault. Emailed Charlie earlier and he said to try CV8 to 8 so going to try that first and see what happens. Just been testing it again on the rolling road and got it to do it for the first time but it happened when i went to speed step 15 on the programmer, put drive hold on and then wack the throttle up to simulate constant wheel slip. Still not sure what would cause it though??

• 2 months later...

Had a Loksound V5 stop working earlier this week. Installed the set up with the supplied speaker. Uploaded a sound project via Lok Programmer.

Loco moved about 20 cm, all sound stopped, lights went out and the loco appeared dead.

Removed the chip and put it in the decoder tester and Lok Programmer couldn’t read it. Tried to reset it, but couldn’t write CV.

Put a different chip back in the loco (Mehano Belgian Railways class 51) and everything was fine.

Returned the chip as assumed faulty.

After the above, I returned my chip to Charlie at DC Kits, and have since been speaking with him and Ian (Biffo) about the problem as I seemed to be one of very, very few that had this exact issue.

I had an update from Ian about a month ago saying that he had found a way around the problem, which (unfortunately for him) meant re-writing the whole sound file from scratch until ESU had found a resolve to the problem.

Seemed to be something between the new software and hardware of the V5's.

I am just awaiting a replacement chip to be returned and then I can hopefully get my 37 sounding sweet again!

On 25/02/2020 at 17:49, TheEastSuffolkman said:

Hello All,

I recently brought a Loksound V5 with Bif 37/0WD Sounds on it for my Bachmann 37/0, this being the latest model with sound pre fitted. I removed the original Loksound Select and Speaker and replaced them with the V5 and a Rail Exclusive Boom Box Speaker. After fitting, i tested the fitting with the body off to make sure all was good before battening down the hatches on the model to enjoy. All started off well with horns playing, RETB transmissions and the like. Then i though i'd test out the Wheelslip feature. All started off well but then the decoder suddenly became unresponsive to the controller and was emitting a loud, high pitched buzz from the speaker, that i feel can only be best described as sounding like an AWS Horn. In shock, i immediately took the loco off the track to clear the fault and tried putting it back on. Once back on, all seemed to be reset and tried again, after about a minute, just after starting to test the drive sounds again, same fault. I tried this several more times to check if it was a recurring issue and it seems to be, although direction of travel seems to be no particular factor and the fault would occur at random times (i.e. not after the same amound of usage each time, sometimes more, sometimes less.)

After no avail on the actual layout, i have brought it onto my Lokprogrammer and have been running it for about 20mins with no issue as i type, trying various speeds, directions and other sound functions trying to recreate the fault to no avail.

Am i the only one whose experienced this on a V5, am i missing something stupidly obvious or is this a known issue?

Attached is a video link that i have uploaded to YT that actually shows the fault in progress: 

Thanks

Jack

I have a class 14 that makes the same sound occasionally. 

Doesn't happen often but when it does , its usually after I shut the throttle down to zero after applying full power for a few seconds .

As already stated , it doesn't happen often and as it's hard wired into the loco , removing it is more trouble than it's worth 

1 hour ago, Albie the plumber said:

I have a class 14 that makes the same sound occasionally. 

Doesn't happen often but when it does , its usually after I shut the throttle down to zero after applying full power for a few seconds .

As already stated , it doesn't happen often and as it's hard wired into the loco , removing it is more trouble than it's worth 

OK, it may just be a coincidence but it seams to do it just as it hits that isolating gap on the points.

Had a similar thing today, never happened before and it did it 4 times but always in the same place which pointed me to the track.

Looking at the video is the back axle on the leading bogie on the track or just off it?

Dose it do it in the same place?

Just an observation.

Wiggy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/05/2020 at 23:35, Neils WRX said:

Had a Loksound V5 stop working earlier this week. Installed the set up with the supplied speaker. Uploaded a sound project via Lok Programmer.

Loco moved about 20 cm, all sound stopped, lights went out and the loco appeared dead.

Removed the chip and put it in the decoder tester and Lok Programmer couldn’t read it. Tried to reset it, but couldn’t write CV.

Put a different chip back in the loco (Mehano Belgian Railways class 51) and everything was fine.

Returned the chip as assumed faulty.

Replacement chip installed all fine, guess I just had a duff one.

Staysafe everyone.

Neil

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/05/2020 at 18:32, wiggy1 said:

OK, it may just be a coincidence but it seams to do it just as it hits that isolating gap on the points.

Had a similar thing today, never happened before and it did it 4 times but always in the same place which pointed me to the track.

Looking at the video is the back axle on the leading bogie on the track or just off it?

Dose it do it in the same place?

Just an observation.

Wiggy.

I must admit, i thought the exact same at first but i managed to get the same fault when using the loco on a rolling road.

On 22/05/2020 at 16:36, TheEastSuffolkman said:

I had an update from Ian about a month ago saying that he had found a way around the problem, which (unfortunately for him) meant re-writing the whole sound file from scratch until ESU had found a resolve to the problem.

Seemed to be something between the new software and hardware of the V5's.

I am just awaiting a replacement chip to be returned and then I can hopefully get my 37 sounding sweet again!

As above, I spoke to Ian and he said he had managed to re-write the file, which seemed to sort the problem. 

He said that he had spoke to Charlie at DC Kits to get a replacement sent out, but that was over a month **BUT** with the current situation that a lot of us find ourselves in, I appreciate that things aren't running as normal at the moment, although have emailed Charlie and Ian to get the latest and try try and not 'loose it in the melee' so to speak.

As I say, I can't speak highly enough of the Legomanbiffo sound files and the service I've had from DC Kits so just hoping get this sorted soon so I can finally enjoy a 'Proper' Class 37 sound!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheEastSuffolkman said:

I must admit, i thought the exact same at first but i managed to get the same fault when using the loco on a rolling road.

As above, I spoke to Ian and he said he had managed to re-write the file, which seemed to sort the problem. 

He said that he had spoke to Charlie at DC Kits to get a replacement sent out, but that was over a month **BUT** with the current situation that a lot of us find ourselves in, I appreciate that things aren't running as normal at the moment, although have emailed Charlie and Ian to get the latest and try try and not 'loose it in the melee' so to speak.

As I say, I can't speak highly enough of the Legomanbiffo sound files and the service I've had from DC Kits so just hoping get this sorted soon so I can finally enjoy a 'Proper' Class 37 sound!

The replacement was sent over a week ago.    Charlie

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/02/2020 at 17:49, TheEastSuffolkman said:

Hello All,

Thanks

Jack

Hi Jack

Lenz Set 101 ? Although it has many good new features, I find it awkward to access max SS for the "wheel slip" feature, due to having to turn the speed dial round and round "numerous" times to finally get up to SS128, far easier using the the large SS buttons on an earlier Lenz 100, or even easier using a Roco Multimaus.

Do you find this an issue ? or have I perhaps missed something with the new 101 throttle ? 

Your 37 sounds good with that Boom box speaker, 

TIA

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2020 at 10:49, tractor_37260 said:

Hi Jack

Lenz Set 101 ? Although it has many good new features, I find it awkward to access max SS for the "wheel slip" feature, due to having to turn the speed dial round and round "numerous" times to finally get up to SS128, far easier using the the large SS buttons on an earlier Lenz 100, or even easier using a Roco Multimaus.

Do you find this an issue ? or have I perhaps missed something with the new 101 throttle ? 

Your 37 sounds good with that Boom box speaker, 

TIA

Ken

Sometimes, you are right that you have to turn the dial quickly for the wheel slip but I find there is a 'sweet' speed of turning the dial to achieve the wheel slip to decent effect.