class37418stag

11 minutes ago, class37418stag said:

Hello please excuse my English thank you 

baled scrap been carry on by 1980 to 1994

Railfreight OCA and OAA and OBA wagon

tiger POA wagon

POA scrap wagon 

thank you 

There was a flow of baled scrap from the rolling mill at Shotton, firstly to Ravenscraig, then to Port Talbot, using SPAs and OCAs.

Hi there:-

I think this is your question?

Has anyone pictures of wagons used to carry baled scrap between 1980 and 1994 such as OCAs, OAAs, OBAs and later Tiger POA wagons and POA scrap wagons?

So, if it is, I will look through my books and see what I can find?

Regards

Paul

some notes on POA  scrap wagons

TRL 5170 - TRL 5181  worked from BSC Shotton to BSC Ravenscraig / BSC Port Talbot with baled scrap

TRL 5181 was in yellow livery and i think TRL 5175 was in light blue and originally fitted with some sort of roof / tarpaulin The other batch was TRL 5254 - TRL 5266 again working out of Shotton,

Leicester to ASW Cardiff with frag scrap noted were TRL 5143,82,84,90. TRL 5345,51,79,89. TRL 5406,12,13,48,50,55,63,70,73,79,82,84

I dont think that OAA or OBA carried baled scrap but you never know

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, class37418stag said:

Hello 

have you seen photo of Tiger POA ?

Thank you 

MEA coal sector has carry scrap?

37905 Acton Grange 140790

I have not seen me a carrying scrap but you never know click on pic for the link 

Edited by bazjones1711

• 5 months later...

Hello 

in 1980 between 1993

baled scrap to BSC shotton?

any cheap bit of scrap metals to anywhere by BSC in Wales or Scotland or England ?

scrap ferrous to BSC ?

i has brought

baled scrap carry OCA wagon

and 

scrap ferrous metal carry HSA or SSA wagon

will buy MEA wagon use baled or ferrous or bit rusty metal 

thank you

There were 8 bogie PXA bolsters built in 1974 for Sheerness Steel for carrying steel rod. 4 were rebuilt as boxes in 1981 for carrying scrap and the other 4 were rebuilt in 1985. 40 more scrap boxes were built new in 1982 to a slightly modified design. Most of the photos online I could find were at Sheerness with only a handful elsewhere - a few examples I could find were Washwood Heath, Whitemoor, Swansea, Willesden and Action.

Cheers
David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1

At Hereford in the late 1980's we had a turn down to Llanwern and Cardiff Tidal with a train from Trafford Park which carried baled scrap as part of its load, among other things. I took a few photos of the train and some of its wagons whilst working the train one week in November 1988. Below are photos of SPA's carrying scrap that often appeared in the train consist, which are awaiting uploading onto my Flickr site.

Loaded with bailed scrap, SPA 460516 sits on the service line in Llanwern Steelworks. 2nd November 1988.

HBR11-011.jpg.75e031407737bab54668f88bff92de04.jpg

Loaded with bailed scrap, SHA 461038 sits on the service line in Llanwern Steelworks. 2nd November 1988.

HBR11-012.jpg.8e78a36b2c56df187365080fab972444.jpg

Recently repainted and carrying a load of bailed scrap metal, SPA 460770, is part of my train consist stood on the Up Service Road, in Llanwern Steelworks. 3rd November 1988.

HBR11-020.jpg.127c84e76df940440df85e5867007176.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, class37418stag said:

Hello 

in 1980 between 1993

baled scrap to BSC shotton?

any cheap bit of scrap metals to anywhere by BSC in Wales or Scotland or England ?

scrap ferrous to BSC ?

i has brought

baled scrap carry OCA wagon

and 

scrap ferrous metal carry HSA or SSA wagon

will buy MEA wagon use baled or ferrous or bit rusty metal 

thank you

MEA ran from Corby to Aldwarke with scrap , these were the EWS ones , only seen one picture of this train 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, class37418stag said:

Scrap ferrous metal for melting at steelworkers?

I would assume so , probably off cuts of tube made at Corby , there was a flow of scrap from BSC Ravenscraig to Aldwarke when Ravenscraig closed that  used HSA ( ex HEA ) , SJA and SPA wagons to carry slag  , note the SPA with what looks like lumps of slag from the slag ladles that has not been broken up , if you search Flickr for ' Ravenscraig scrap ' you will find more pics of this train

bwa350

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

I would assume so , probably off cuts of tube made at Corby , there was a flow of scrap from BSC Ravenscraig to Aldwarke when Ravenscraig closed that  used HSA ( ex HEA ) , SJA and SPA wagons to carry slag  , note the SPA with what looks like lumps of slag from the slag ladles that has not been broken up , if you search Flickr for ' Ravenscraig scrap ' you will find more pics of this train

bwa350

Might those actually be the slag ladles? I can't thing why they'd transport lumps of slag several hundred miles like that. I remember train-loads of scrap from Consett, and later, Ravenscraig, when we lived in the North-East; it was a melancholy sight to see recognisable bits of steel-works loaded into open wagons, but at least they ended up in UK furnaces.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...