Highland T Gauge Micro

Well I deliberately went to Model Rail Scotland without a shopping list, because I have everything I need to finish my current main layout and two smaller projects. But I could not resist this little T Gauge BR Class 67 EWS Starter Train Set. I have included a photo of the display model from T Gauge stand. Ideally I would like to create a Highland themed micro with one of the stations between Perth and Inverness. Not planning to buy any extra track so it will be a case of creating some interesting scenery. 

B67E86B7-3A96-43D0-B6F9-FA7FA4B9B956.jpeg.cd0d26cc742491ef1127c7159f850b2e.jpeg

NB This is the TGauge.com display model at their Model Rail Scotland 2020 stand.
Check www.tgauge.com for their full T Gauge range.

184C611E-1751-4136-87D9-73384056382A.jpeg.6e56db216eca45f684c291f19ff27d2a.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 19

Carrbridge Station was a favourite starting point for some of my cycling forays in younger fitter days! I like the architecture, but it may be a challenge to reproduce in such a small scale. Scalescenes have produced a simple paper download kit of terraced houses, which I will try out. Then I might try to create my own printable kit of the station building. A good excuse for a day trip to Carrbridge for some reference photos! I may use some artistic licence and introduce a ‘closer’ Cairngorm backdrop, behind the characteristic silver birch woodland.

Carrbridge_railway_station_-_geograph.or

Photo courtesy geograph.co.uk project.

So far, on my very brief internet search, I have not found any photographs of a BR Class 67 EWS, taken on the stretch of line between Perth and Inverness. Found this BBC piece about EWS 66043 derailed at Carrbridge in January 2010.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8446583.stm

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Great to see what everyone has been up to recently. I have been so bogged down with domestic chores, during this crisis, that my model making has taken a back seat. As I am no longer able to go down to Carrbridge for reference photos, I will make a start using whatever I can find online. Must see if one of the railway societies has a drawing of the station building plans and elevations?

Marlyn

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Marlyn

This looks good if you can get any of these or possibly 3D print them then the following trains could be seen with a class 67 on Highland mainline

TTA fuel tanks for Larig

Safeway Containers possibly standard containers and wagons the modern megafret twin type 

VGA vans 

PCA cement tanks 

Any engineering wagons but they have to be the airbraked wagons as 67s are AB only 

MK 1 or 2 Coaches for a railtour

Also if it helps i am sure i seen 158s on the Forth Bridge T gauge layout which would be suitable too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/04/2020 at 18:09, scottishlocos said:

Marlyn

This looks good if you can get any of these or possibly 3D print them then the following trains could be seen with a class 67 on Highland mainline

TTA fuel tanks for Larig

Safeway Containers possibly standard containers and wagons the modern megafret twin type 

VGA vans 

PCA cement tanks 

Any engineering wagons but they have to be the airbraked wagons as 67s are AB only 

MK 1 or 2 Coaches for a railtour

Also if it helps i am sure i seen 158s on the Forth Bridge T gauge layout which would be suitable too

Thanks ‘ScottishLocos’ - I have been working hard in the garden this last while, so modelling has come to a bit of a standstill. Will definitely purchase some T scale rolling stock and attempt to customise. I don’t have a 3D printer, but there are a few modellers up my way, who might be able to help.

Marlyn

• 2 months later...

Hi Marilyn,

I must have forgotten about your thread there (I'd already liked it) I found myself browsing the T Gauge website today and saw the 67 and had just the same thought that you've outlined of it being ideal for a Highland Main Line layout! Have you worked on your project anymore?

I'm thinking quite seriously about buying some of their track, bare loco chassis, spare bogies, and spare wheels - and experimenting with what I can produce with my Photon 3D printer. I'm imagining it wouldn't be too difficult to do things like a cl.158 DMU, Mk.2 coaches, etc. using translucent 'black' resin and laser printed decals.

Justin

• 3 months later...
On 10/07/2020 at 21:10, justin1985 said:

Hi Marilyn,

I must have forgotten about your thread there (I'd already liked it) I found myself browsing the T Gauge website today and saw the 67 and had just the same thought that you've outlined of it being ideal for a Highland Main Line layout! Have you worked on your project anymore?

I'm thinking quite seriously about buying some of their track, bare loco chassis, spare bogies, and spare wheels - and experimenting with what I can produce with my Photon 3D printer. I'm imagining it wouldn't be too difficult to do things like a cl.158 DMU, Mk.2 coaches, etc. using translucent 'black' resin and laser printed decals.

Justin

Hi Justin, Apologies for not having been on the Forum for months. Too many domestic projects have taken me away from modelling this summer. We have only been out if the village twice since February, so no trip to Carrbridge yet for my reference photos. I hope to do a mock up shortly and pull together what information I have gathered so far. I was very impressed with the model on the trade stand at Model Rail Scotland. I do like to base my models on actual locations and will have a go at drawing up the station building in Illustrator, for starters. I am still catching up with topics on the Forum - have you made a start on your project yet?

Marlyn