Western Tribute tour, 43 years ago today...

Cheers Phil - I was on the 'China Clay' with 1056 and 'Lament' with 1048 but couldn't afford the £10 ticket for the Tribute. Watched it depart Padd though, then followed behind it to Bristol on a HST, stayed there most of the day and saw it come through en route to Plymouth then we went back to London, to my Nan's in Hammersmith for tea. Grub consumed, we went back into Padd to see it arrive in the dark dank surroundings of platform 11. An unforgetable day. There's some 8mm cine footage taken as it ran into platform with several people running about, including me..!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 3

On 26/02/2020 at 22:29, Nearholmer said:

Ah, the 637 'final' Western tours!

(I may have overestimated by two or three)

I couldn't quite get my head round it all, especially after I saw people stroking locomotives.

Some good photos there.

I know a chap who was actually on 853 of them.... ;).

• Funny 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting these Nidge, sad day- only just caught up with RMWeb over the last few weeks, as fishing and related committee work has been all consuming - even in lockdown.

I saw the tour at Bristol Parkway, on the Padd-Swansea leg. Some grainy, hair-in-the-gate, soundless footage of it there emerged a few years ago, posted below. I'm one of teenagers in the shadows somewhere. What is striking though to me is how much the Parkway to Patchway line has changed, housing estates etc now almost completely obscure the grandstand view we had as kids of westerns and Hymeks sweeping around that curve with Maybachs on full bore. Despite the quality of the footage it is of excellent historical interest and for me personally a priceless memory.

neil 

• Like 5