Hornby Rocket out of box failure

AchimK

Hello RM community, first post, very excited!

My extraordinary wife managed to get me the limited Hornby Rocket for my birthday. It's a phantastic model. Absolutely terrific.

It arrived Monday in spiffing packaging but sadly two out of box faults:

1. Loose power wire between loco and tender.

2. Missing front axle housing screw.

Did anyone else have any problems or is this a bad luck one off?

Hornby are very good about repairing it by the way. Free of charge return and so on.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I’ll settle just to get mine at all..

Third time Hattons seems to have “been a little slow” with processing an order..(1st was the Dapol 29, second the Heljan 27) ... its not so easy to just cancel and move this one to someone else... 

i’m starting to have doubts about reliability of my preorders in Liverpool.

excuses politely come as do various slipping dates, but I would much prefer the model to arrive instead.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It does seem that the big boys got there allocations a little later than anyone else . I know Rails said they expected theirs on Monday and true enough I had my order processed on Tuesday and its now winging its way to me . I'm out at moment but hopefully It will either be delivered tomorrow or if they'd try to deliver today I can pick it up from sorting office tomorrow.  I daresay Hattons will be much the same.

10 hours ago, phil gollin said:

If a rocket fails to work you should wait at least 15 minutes, put on heavy duty gloves and dump it in a bucket of water.

Or have I misunderstood ?

:angel:

So not to chuck it into the bonfire while nobody's looking then.... 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

If your Rocket is damaged and a replacement isnt an option, why not consider buying an R3810.. swapping the loco... its the same loco its the box thats different ?

Not ideal, but its means to an end.

Edited by adb968008

On 26/02/2020 at 22:55, phil gollin said:

If a rocket fails to work you should wait at least 15 minutes, put on heavy duty gloves and dump it in a bucket of water.

Or have I misunderstood ?

:angel:

No, that's exactly what I did before I sent if for repairs to Margate!

On 28/02/2020 at 14:28, adb968008 said:

If your Rocket is damaged and a replacement isnt an option, why not consider buying an R3810.. swapping the loco... its the same loco its the box thats different ?

Not ideal, but its means to an end.

Yes that's a possibility but as Robin Brasher pointed out, the coaches have different names and the packaging is different too (if one likes that sort of thing).

Thanks for all replies.

On 28/02/2020 at 14:44, Robin Brasher said:

The coaches for R3810 have different names to those in R3809.

...but not the loco so this may be a solution for the OP.

I think the 'missing' screws are omitted on all the models and don't affect operation - referred to earlier in the thread. Wire should be repairable and as others have said Hornby should be willing to do this FOC via their service centre. Hope this helps. 

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

...but not the loco so this may be a solution for the OP.

I think the 'missing' screws are omitted on all the models and don't affect operation - referred to earlier in the thread. Wire should be repairable and as others have said Hornby should be willing to do this FOC via their service centre. Hope this helps. 

Indeed, R3810 is the fallback option if all else fails. Hornby have been good about the service return so far. Will update once I know more. Thx.