Eco Friendly Entry-Level Micro Paul A. Lunn

Dzine

Hi Folks,  Thought you might like to have a look at some of the images that we didn't have space for in Model Rail.  I've also added details of an opportunity to buy the layout with all proceeds going to the Derwent Valley Light Railway. 

If you're interested in purchasing the completed layout, (please note this does not include rolling
stock, road vehicles, controller and Peco Loco Lift) you can do so by making a sealed bid offer, with
Model Layout clearly marked on the envelope to; Jonathan Stockwell, Archivist, Derwent Valley Light
Railway, C/O Yorkshire Museum of Farming, Murton Park, Murton Lane, Murton, York, YO19 3UF
who will accept the highest offer by Thursday 30th April. All proceeds will go to the railway. Please
note layout will need collecting from an address in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. 

More pictures to follow.   Thanks for looking,  Kind regards Paul 

20200126_121716.jpg

20200121_120806.jpg

Edited by Dzine
tried to edit odd line spacing but without any luck
  • Like 6

Last photo for now....

It's worth saying at this point that nearly all structures are Hornby, all hedgerows, grass, weeds and undergrowth made from two shades of gardeners twine, some fencing from matchsticks and cotton and the yard platform you see here from from Hornby's elevated wall system, old sleepers and wet and dry paper for the tarmac.

Oh, and by the way it's 2'-6" x 1'-10"

Will post some detail photo's soon.  Regards Paul

BS_34.jpg

Edited by Dzine
added baseboard size
  • Like 6

Hi Luke, Many thanks for your kind comment.   The baseboard and backscene storage (not uploaded photo yet) is made entirely of recycled supermarket cardboard costing only the glue that holds it together, buildings are largely upgraded second hand, there are no electrical switches only live nails in a chocolate block and a live crocodile clip to attach to the relevant nail (one nail for each track section).  There's much more this is just a sample.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing more photographs, Paul! I am an advocate of using recycled materials, whenever possible, and enjoyed reading the article in Model Rail - it is a very clever design. Hope you receive some good offers?

Marlyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi Paul. 

I have started a layout based on your article which I really enjoyed reading,  mine is slightly different being on a 4ft x 1ft baseboard. 

I was at a loss not knowing what to build and after many false starts this somehow got me going. 

Thank you for the inspiration,  I will start a thread a bit later. 

I hope you get really good offers,  it's a great little layout. 

Jerry. 

• Like 2

Hi Marly51,  Many thanks for your comments, good to hear you're into recycling too.  If you've got any examples or are about to build something please add a photo on here, we need to start making a difference.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Hi Paul. 

I have started a layout based on your article which I really enjoyed reading,  mine is slightly different being on a 4ft x 1ft baseboard. 

I was at a loss not knowing what to build and after many false starts this somehow got me going. 

Thank you for the inspiration,  I will start a thread a bit later. 

I hope you get really good offers,  it's a great little layout. 

Jerry. 

Hi Jerry,  Many thanks for all you have said  I'm so pleased to have been able to inspire you.   I look forward to seeing your thread, if you need any advice please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards Paul 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

I read about this in the latest issue of Model Rail, what a great layout and I have been using recycled materials for ages on my layout, dried tea bag contents for soil, old baseboards for the fiddle yard.

Hi, I'm really pleased you liked the layout, I think there's more people been recycling than we're really aware of and it's great that you've been doing it for ages.  As railway modellers I think we slipped behind in being aware of the many issues and there's never been a more important time for each of us to do our bit.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 1

Hi noctilux2,  I'm attaching an aerial photo of one of the mock up stages which includes not only the track plan but also  position of the main structures.  Little changed between this stage and the end result except there are now two non-scenic fiddle yard tracks (partially covered on the final model) top right.  Just in case you didn't see earlier, the baseboard is 2'-6" x 1'-10".  Hope this helps, Kind regards Paul

BS_13.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Folks,  I promised to put on some of the simple makeovers for the layout, so here we go;

Starting with the old Hornby buffer stop, it's got a big lump of plastic where the buffer beam should be, the modified version has an extra diagonal brace at the rear and Costa coffee stirrer beam at the front.  Kind regards Paul

BS_32.jpg

BS_33.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just picked up a copy of Model  Rail this morning and really enjoyed reading the article about the build of the recycling layout. So much so I want to build one myself. Recently I purchased the £25 Hornby loco from Asda that arrived in a cardboard box that I will use to make the baseboard.

One thing the article didn't show was where to put the electrical feeds and the length of the head shunt and sidings. So Paul if you're reading this maybe you could let me know please.

Thanks

Johna

High Johna.  Many thanks for your kind comments.  The answers to your questions are as follows;

Electrical feeds are at the outer ends of the following; scenic headshunt, non-scenic track that goes under the Hornby bridge, Peco Loco Lift and one for each of the non-scenic storage sidings

Track lengths are as follows, though remember you'll need a little clearance at each point;  scenic headshunt 10.5",  goods platform siding 9",  siding adjacent to goods platform siding 10",  station platform track ( from point to buffer stop 11.5" and non-scenic sidings 1'-00" each.   Capacity wise all tracks have a minimum of two wagons and an 0-6-0 tank engine or a single Class 121 DMU or similar.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how you get on,  if you need any advice please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Jinty50

Thank you for your kind comments.  The most noticeable eco bit is the baseboard and backscene storage, constructed entirely from recycled supermarket boxes.  Nearly all the structures and accessories were damaged second-hand items repaired and upgraded.  Hills were made from waste expanded polystyrene packaging covered with newspaper, fence posts from used matchsticks, and there's an uncoupling/point operating tool made from a empty biro barrel.  Hope this gives a flavour though there's much more.   All the makeovers, plus much more, will be detailed in my next bookazine for Model Rail, out towards the back end of this year.  Kind regards Paul

BS_39.jpg

BS_4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Tim,  You're absolutely right and, whilst some card is of a poor quality, the big trays I used from Sainsbury's were fab and even better when strengthened on the underside.  I'm looking forward to the next two possible projects; one smaller one bigger and I'm already pulling in suitable materials, particularly damaged and used structures.  Kind regards Paul

BS_11.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Dzine said:

High Johna.  Many thanks for your kind comments.  The answers to your questions are as follows;

Electrical feeds are at the outer ends of the following; scenic headshunt, non-scenic track that goes under the Hornby bridge, Peco Loco Lift and one for each of the non-scenic storage sidings

Track lengths are as follows, though remember you'll need a little clearance at each point;  scenic headshunt 10.5",  goods platform siding 9",  siding adjacent to goods platform siding 10",  station platform track ( from point to buffer stop 11.5" and non-scenic sidings 1'-00" each.   Capacity wise all tracks have a minimum of two wagons and an 0-6-0 tank engine or a single Class 121 DMU or similar.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how you get on,  if you need any advice please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards Paul

Many thanks Paul for the measurements. Will upload a Photo of my cardboard baseboard whenever I get it built.

I've always liked this plan, from seeing it in the micro layouts book to it being adapted and built. I know it's a bit hypothetical but I've always wondered how to operate it. If there was a prototype like it how would it work? I guess passenger trains would be an auto coach or DMU, would freight be propelled in brake van first to enable the loco to be on the right end to shunt the sidings?Maybe if it was built as a light railway and the company were a bit flushed for cash they could have a Ruston diesel waiting for the freight to appear and the train run in loco first. 

Just a few thoughts.

• Like 1