Eco Friendly Entry-Level Micro Paul A. Lunn

Dzine

4 hours ago, sb67 said:

I've always liked this plan, from seeing it in the micro layouts book to it being adapted and built. I know it's a bit hypothetical but I've always wondered how to operate it. If there was a prototype like it how would it work? I guess passenger trains would be an auto coach or DMU, would freight be propelled in brake van first to enable the loco to be on the right end to shunt the sidings?Maybe if it was built as a light railway and the company were a bit flushed for cash they could have a Ruston diesel waiting for the freight to appear and the train run in loco first. 

Just a few thoughts.

On the Snape branch in Suffolk the goods trains were propelled and though more difficult to model there are places where gravity was used to run round passenger trains such as Wells next the Sea in Norfolk and Cowes.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sb67 said:

I've always liked this plan, from seeing it in the micro layouts book to it being adapted and built. I know it's a bit hypothetical but I've always wondered how to operate it. If there was a prototype like it how would it work? I guess passenger trains would be an auto coach or DMU, would freight be propelled in brake van first to enable the loco to be on the right end to shunt the sidings?Maybe if it was built as a light railway and the company were a bit flushed for cash they could have a Ruston diesel waiting for the freight to appear and the train run in loco first. 

Just a few thoughts.

Hi Steve,  I've always seen the design as truncated at two ends, station and scenic headshunt, and in 'real life' a run-round loop would have existed where the fiddle yard is, then going on to the rest of the rail network.  Thus a loco hauled coach would come in loco first, go off stage and come back at the right end for departure.  Kind regards Paul

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, johna said:

Paul, sorry another question. How did you manage to join up the two Hornby bridges please?

Hi Johna, I've got some photo's that tell the story, will upload them soon but think it will be Monday or Tuesday before I get time.  Hope that's OK, Kind regards Paul

• Thanks 1

On 08/03/2020 at 12:09, johna said:

Paul, sorry another question. How did you manage to join up the two Hornby bridges please?

Hi Johna, Here are couple of photo's to get you started.   Mock-up your layout, put the bridges in your chosen position, draw round them at the base in case you accidentally move them.  I used some scrap plastic and made a sort of boomerang shape.  Once glued into position and left to dry you're ready for the next step.  Make brick fillets for the gap on either side of the joint, I used Wills Stretcher Bond (nearest match to Hornby although the course lines don't match up perfectly) and glue in place.  I then packed the centre 'trough' with scrap card (second photo) and made a further card cover (not shown in either photo) to go over what would become the roadway.  For tarmac I used cheap fine grade wet and dry paper.  Hope all this helps.  Kind regards Paul.  PS Isn't it great that you can now get model railway baseboards at your local supermarket!

20191126_125623.jpg

20191127_122747.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Dzine said:

Hi Johna, Here are couple of photo's to get you started.   Mock-up your layout, put the bridges in your chosen position, draw round them at the base in case you accidentally move them.  I used some scrap plastic and made a sort of boomerang shape.  Once glued into position and left to dry you're ready for the next step.  Make brick fillets for the gap on either side of the joint, I used Wills Stretcher Bond (nearest match to Hornby although the course lines don't match up perfectly) and glue in place.  I then packed the centre 'trough' with scrap card (second photo) and made a further card cover (not shown in either photo) to go over what would become the roadway.  For tarmac I used cheap fine grade wet and dry paper.  Hope all this helps.  Kind regards Paul.  PS Isn't it great that you can now get model railway baseboards at your local supermarket!

20191126_125623.jpg

20191127_122747.jpg

Many thanks Paul for the photos. Hopefully I will start building the layout at the weekend. Will start a new thread for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johna said:

Many thanks Paul for the photos. Hopefully I will start building the layout at the weekend. Will start a new thread for it.

Hi Johna,  Looking forward to seeing your progress, if you need any help or advice please ask.  Kind regards Paul

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JohnR said:

Good to hear there will be a Bookazine with more on this layout in it - felt the article wasnt enough to cover this!

Hi JohnR,  You're absolutely right, it would have ended up being a series of articles over quite a period of time.  So for example material for the Hornby buffer stop makeover will include a blow-by-blow account and a selection of variations.  Converseley, I hope to be able to cover sprayed backscenes in more detail.  Of course, there'll be more on baseboards and the like and I hope by then to have tackled a smaller layout on the same eco friendly basis.  It's an exciting year, I'm looking forward to the challenges.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 2

Model Rail and buying "Ideas for Layouts" and simply put, Sir...Your work is not only inspirational to me, it blows me away!!!!!  You have so many Mini and Micro layouts which I love since my Best Half and I live in aa one bedroom apartment!!!!  Unlike most of the layouts that are published in American Magazines, You and Your MR colleagues haven't forgotten those of us who live in small Apartments.   Thank You  for that!!!  My favorite layouts that You have done are:: 1.)"The 6 by 4 Solution # 1, The figure of Eight: 2.) Derwent delight and 3.) Plans 1 + 2 of "At Water's Edge".  Each and every one of the afore mentioned plans meet my requirement of small space and very decent passenger as well as Freight Action.     I look forward to Your future layout designs.  BTW, Sir, I'm gathering material for "The 6 by 4 Solution #1".  I will be building it as Your overall design.  I'll keep You up to date as I go.    Thanks again, I remain......Yr Ob't Servant,  Larry

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

HI Larry, Wow what a lovely message and so great to hear from you.  My biggest hope in model railways is to influence other people and to help wherever I can, and I am pleased that you like my work.  Looking forward to seeing the 6'-00 x 4'-00 solution, if you need any advice, please ask.  Kind regards Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi 

17 hours ago, Larry Mager said:

Model Rail and buying "Ideas for Layouts" and simply put, Sir...Your work is not only inspirational to me, it blows me away!!!!!  You have so many Mini and Micro layouts which I love since my Best Half and I live in aa one bedroom apartment!!!!  Unlike most of the layouts that are published in American Magazines, You and Your MR colleagues haven't forgotten those of us who live in small Apartments.   Thank You  for that!!!  My favorite layouts that You have done are:: 1.)"The 6 by 4 Solution # 1, The figure of Eight: 2.) Derwent delight and 3.) Plans 1 + 2 of "At Water's Edge".  Each and every one of the afore mentioned plans meet my requirement of small space and very decent passenger as well as Freight Action.     I look forward to Your future layout designs.  BTW, Sir, I'm gathering material for "The 6 by 4 Solution #1".  I will be building it as Your overall design.  I'll keep You up to date as I go.    Thanks again, I remain......Yr Ob't Servant,  Larry

Hi Larry, I'm looking forward to seeing the 6 by 4 solution, will that be American or UK prototype? 

6 hours ago, Dzine said:

HI Larry, Wow what a lovely message and so great to hear from you.  My biggest hope in model railways is to influence other people and to help wherever I can, and I am pleased that you like my work.  Looking forward to seeing the 6'-00 x 4'-00 solution, if you need any advice, please ask.  Kind regards Paul

Paul, I'm sure you are achieving your hope, I always find your plans inspiring. 

• Like 1

Thank You Paul.  My Wife and BFF Jaqui and I are hoping to buy a house that was built in the 1840s and Jaqui has told me once I get the 6 X  4 built, after We get the house, that I find another of Your plans to join to the first layout and actually build up a goodly size layout.  If I need any advice, I shall certainly ask for it.  I thank You for that very kind offer, by the way.                                                                            Hi Steve,   I would prefer the UK prototype because the equipment is larger due to UK loading Gauge and even so, the Locomotives and Rolling Stock is shorter.    I just cannot see any American prototype  that would be feasible in HO/OO that would work well in 6' x4' as in my humble opinion, even the 4 axle  diesels would be too large for that particular layout and I have trouble seeing N scale.    Soooo UK prototype it is.  The UK also used smaller locomotives as well as smaller coaches.  One seldom sees Passenger Trains smaller than 5 pieces of Coaching stock in the U.S. where as the U.K. often has one small locomotive and one coach.  I hope this explains things better.    Feel free to write me.   May all Your days be sunshine and Roses.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,  You may remember this little layout appeared in a recent Model Rail article, Bargain Shunt and was then put up for sale with all proceeds going to the Derwent Valley Light Railway.  I've recently been speaking to Jonathan Stockwell at the Derwent Valley Light Railway and it looks like there have been no offers received as yet, although it is possible, that due to Covid, mail might have been picked up by another volunteer there.  As a result, I've decided to extend the last day of bidding (currently 30th April) for another couple of weeks to the 14th May.  In the meantime here's a few  photo's to remind everyone.  Kind regards Paul

20200127_101116.jpg

20200121_191802.jpg

• Like 2