Reverse movements

chesterfield

How far were backing movements with partially fitted trains allowed? this would be on say  branch line or dock complex and not within a yard.

I am thinking a (regular) movement where there was no runaround  at the terminus and trains are backed from the last runaround- distance 500 yards -a mile.

I assume it would need to have a brake van leading the backup movement.

Probably depends on which era you are thinking about. In the late 1980's I worked on the branch line to the ICI plant in Dumfries, which was served by a freight that reversed from the station. This was led by a brake van along the main line and then down the stump of the old 'Port Road', usually with a class 26 and a few wagons.

John

This is going back a ways, but the Harrow to Stanmore Village branch in its last few years had Freight trains propelled along the Branch to Stanmore. Once the run round loop at the former passenger station had been taken out of use there was nowhere to carry out a run round move. The restriction was that the train was limited to 13 wagons with a Brake Van leading.

8 hours ago, chesterfield said:

How far were backing movements with partially fitted trains allowed? this would be on say  branch line or dock complex and not within a yard.

I am thinking a (regular) movement where there was no runaround  at the terminus and trains are backed from the last runaround- distance 500 yards -a mile.

I assume it would need to have a brake van leading the backup movement.

If partially fitted and with the loco at the back there would have to be a brake van leading anyway, in case the unfitted wagons broke away.  

If you can access old sectional appendices, these will tell you locations, distances, number and placement of brake vans etc.

Some propelling moves were permitted on passenger lines, but more common on goods branches.

Rye Harbour branch in Sussex is one that I’ve looked into in depth, And the 1935 sectional appendix has chapter and verse. That line crossed a highway on the level, but propelling was still the norm!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just reading through this, i was thinking Sectional Appendix but Nearholmer beat me to it.

I have a 1969 BR Scottish Region one and the relevant sections are "Table F - Propelling Trains or Vehicles" (inc. brake vans and ballast trains) and "Table G - Working in Wrong Direction" (setting back or hauling) - presumably the same sections in all BR appendices.

Each consist of general instructions, referencing the Rule Book as necessary, followed by pages listing the locations/lines authorised and any special conditions.

20200227_175716.jpg.f7a3fa1cb3f63ef5e671e6b668bd72dc.jpg

20200227_180101.jpg.5e62a892e94f574436640e04034e596a.jpg

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

If you a researching a real location then as has been said a Sectional Appendix will give the answer. If however you are modelling freelance, or what might have been, then you have a choice on how to operate.

For example on the LSWR/SR Exmouth Branch there were freight only branches to Topsham Quay, and Exmouth Docks. Neither had a run-round at the quay/dock so all moves on both branches were propelled down, and both crossed roads on the way. Because Topsham was downhill a special brake van was provided to lead all movements down, (after a runaway into the Exe), but the Exmouth line was level, so no brake van was required.

cheers