TCS Opens a UK office.

Interesting that they choose to set up in the UK now.

I have one problem with their blurb about the UWT-100. They claim it is compatible with most DCC systems. From what I understand they are compatible with most US DCC systems, but not European ones. This may change now they have a presence in Europe.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by DaveArkley
Aplogies Ron, I've seen your similar post on other thread

4 hours ago, DaveArkley said:

I have one problem with their blurb about the UWT-100. They claim it is compatible with most DCC systems. From what I understand they are compatible with most US DCC systems, but not European ones.

Any decent European system will have support in JMRI, hence (albeit with a PC or Raspberry Pi) can support the UWT-100 via the WiThrottle server. It says as much in their blurb.

1 hour ago, Crosland said:

Any decent European system will have support in JMRI, hence (albeit with a PC or Raspberry Pi) can support the UWT-100 via the WiThrottle server. It says as much in their blurb.

Yes, I'm getting quite good at reading now.

It says that is compatible with most DCC systems, not 'it's compatible with most DCC systems if you have a computer and have installed JMRI'. I saw the small print, my point is it is not compatible with the WiFi in a Digikeijs DR5000 or Roco Z21 or the plethora of other wireless enabled European systems. I was trying to be positive and point out that they might add such support now they have a presence in  the European market.

Cheers

Dave

1 hour ago, DaveArkley said:

....It says that is compatible with most DCC systems, not 'it's compatible with most DCC systems if you have a computer and have installed JMRI'. .....

I agree it's poor wording on their part, but I guess the statement is intended to be a cover all, as with some DCC systems ( i.e. those that have WiFi adapters that allow the WiThrottle app to talk directly to the DCC system), there is absolutely no need to have a computer running  JMRI attached.

A good point about European systems though.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry if anyone has been trying to access the TCS website during the last couple of days but the problems with accessibility have now been fixed.

Can I suggest that those of you in the UK wishing to purchase products from the TCS online shop  either Register or Log In before you start to purchase? That way it will ensure that products are shown with the correct price in £ rather than $.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone ordered anything from TCS in the past few weeks?

I ordered a decoder on the 20th and the order has sat pending ever since and I don't see any notices saying anything about them being closed due to the lockdown or anything.

I also couldn't help notice that even though I made an account, logged in and the prices were showing in £ the Paypal payment still appeared to be going through as $ (not that the payment has actually changed from pending/pre-authorised).

• 3 months later...
On 28/02/2020 at 22:08, DaveArkley said:

Yes, I'm getting quite good at reading now.

It says that is compatible with most DCC systems, not 'it's compatible with most DCC systems if you have a computer and have installed JMRI'. I saw the small print, my point is it is not compatible with the WiFi in a Digikeijs DR5000 or Roco Z21 or the plethora of other wireless enabled European systems. I was trying to be positive and point out that they might add such support now they have a presence in  the European market.

Cheers

Dave

Using a Digitrax LNWI Loconet Interface will enable the throttle to be used with both Digikeijs and Roco systems. See below

UWT-100 throttles are now available by phone with free shipping within the UK.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 03/08/2020 at 20:48, BromsMods said:

Using a Digitrax LNWI Loconet Interface will enable the throttle to be used with both Digikeijs and Roco systems. 

UWT-100 throttles are now available by phone with free shipping within the UK.

That's more like it, thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Dave

Just to clarify, and to quote from another forum "The UWT-100 supports open standards (WiThrottle and LCC). The Z21 uses a closed proprietary Wi-Fi protocol. It is not fair to blame TCS for a choice that Roco has made to keep their Wi-Fi ecosystem closed."

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dave said:

Hi,

Does anyone know for certain whether it works with a Lenz 100 system?

I think yes, but only if you have a computer connected to the Lenz system, running JMRI, to provide the WiThrottle server.    That computer could be a cheap Raspberry PI.  But you still need the (expensive) Lenz computer interface box.  

17 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

I think yes, but only if you have a computer connected to the Lenz system, running JMRI, to provide the WiThrottle server.    That computer could be a cheap Raspberry PI.  But you still need the (expensive) Lenz computer interface box.  

Hi

I already have the Lenz computer interface as I'm running RR & Co, all I need is to know if the UWT-100 works with the Lenz interface. I know the Lenz interface works if you hook up a router directly to the Lenz and I have used the Touch cab app but I'm not too happy with controlling a £2000 loco with an iPhone as it gets a bit hectic at times as you need to look at the iphone screen.

Maybe I should phone Bromsgrove?

Regards

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Hi

I already have the Lenz computer interface as I'm running RR & Co, all I need is to know if the UWT-100 works with the Lenz interface. I know the Lenz interface works if you hook up a router directly to the Lenz and I have used the Touch cab app but I'm not too happy with controlling a £2000 loco with an iPhone as it gets a bit hectic at times as you need to look at the iphone screen.

Maybe I should phone Bromsgrove?

Regards

Dave

The spec for the UWT-100 throttle is it needs either a WiThrottle server, or via LCC server.   

Your list of kit has has neither in the bits you list - Lenz don't make a WiThrottle server device, the protocol used by TouchCab is different.  LCC is in its infancy, and is primarily something from US companies. 

By running JMRI on a computer connected to the Lenz computer interface you get a WiThrottle server, and then it should all work.   

- Nigel

2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

The spec for the UWT-100 throttle is it needs either a WiThrottle server, or via LCC server.   

Your list of kit has has neither in the bits you list - Lenz don't make a WiThrottle server device, the protocol used by TouchCab is different.  LCC is in its infancy, and is primarily something from US companies. 

By running JMRI on a computer connected to the Lenz computer interface you get a WiThrottle server, and then it should all work.   

- Nigel

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I'll look at the JMRI and see if it'll work alongside RR & Co.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who has missed it there is now a major upgrade freely available for the UWT-100 throttle which, amongst a number of other things, allows users to control two locos simultaneously from the same throttle.

This means you can see exactly what is happening with both locos at the same time on the handheld throttle.

For full details and download/installation instructions see https://tcsdcc.com/UWT-100_R2_0

Edited by BromsMods
Clarification

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone in Europe, or more specifically the UK, wanting to order TCS products it is probably quicker to order direct by phone using the UK number provided on the TCS website rather than ordering via the TCS online store.  This will also overcome the difficulty some UK customers have had with reconciling currency conversions as phone orders will be processed and charged in £.

A very useful review! Yes, it might seem expensive to start with but remember that the cost covers not only development costs but downloadable lifetime updates - see the post 3 above this one (Oct 9th) which gives info about a major upgrade recently released which, amongst other things, allows you to run two locos simultaneously from the same handset with the screen showing details of settings for both locos.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, alangdance said:

Is there any news on the Mini-throttle  and costing.

Alan

Not yet, nor the new command station or WOWSound UK Steam Loco decoder.  Covid and the furloughing of staff seems to have put paid to any previously announced release dates.

16 hours ago, BromsMods said:

A very useful review! Yes, it might seem expensive to start with but remember that the cost covers not only development costs but downloadable lifetime updates - see the post 3 above this one (Oct 9th) which gives info about a major upgrade recently released which, amongst other things, allows you to run two locos simultaneously from the same handset with the screen showing details of settings for both locos.

Thanks mate.

yes at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.  This is without a doubt the best hand throttle on the market IMO.

the new update sounds great. I must do it to my handset!!

• 1 month later...

Can I apologise most sincerely to customers who have been trying to contact me or who have placed orders which have not yet been fulfilled?

I was admitted to hospital 10 days ago with a serious condition. I am not sure how much longer I will remain here but rest assured you will be my top priority when I manage to escape!

• Friendly/supportive 11