TCS UWT-100 Universal WiFi Throttle.

From American forum discussions, it appears that awareness of anything DCC that's not Digitrax, NCE, MRC or even Easy-DCC,  is very limited or non-existent.

So the revelation that you can now have the miracle of WiFi connected DCC throttles, appears to be news to people unaware that a few such devices have been around for a number of years.

However, on a more positive and welcoming note, at least TCS have tried to move DCC forward in the US marketplace.

As well as working with other DCC systems, this new throttle will soon be accompanied by their own Command Station, both of which are designed to work with LCC and JMRI.

The throttle itself is rather pricey, but if the Command station is offered at a lower cost, the combined system may possibly be quite competitive with wireless versions of the Digitrax and NCE alternatives.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Premium

Would I be correct in thinking that this throttle is just an alternative to using a tablet/phone or Multimaus Wi-fi handset and by adding a command station will in effect produce an alternative to a Z21/Digikeijs 5000 + whatever setup. Useful for anyone wanting a normal handset perhaps.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Would I be correct in thinking that this throttle is just an alternative to using a tablet/phone or Multimaus Wi-fi handset and by adding a command station will in effect produce an alternative to a Z21/Digikeijs 5000 + whatever setup. Useful for anyone wanting a normal handset perhaps.

Izzy

From reading the blurb - it can be connected to any system that can work with JMRI WiThrottle protocol.

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

From reading the blurb - it can be connected to any system that can work with JMRI WiThrottle protocol.

Indeed and for those systems that have WiFi adapters that allow them to be run directly from the WiThrottle app (e.g. Prodigy WiFi adapter, Digitrax LNWI etc, etc,) , no computer running  JMRI is required.

Another way to look at it, is that it's like a WLAN MultiMaus or ESU MC2 that can be used with any DCC system.

Plus it's already set up to work with LCC.

• RMweb Premium

Does look as though there might be a smaller/cheaper one later, the 50 or something. But that might not provide the alternative handling experience the 100 appears to. No easy/cheap answers really. 

I am also trying to work out if there are any easy access function keys, for sound etc. 

Izzy

Edited by Izzy

19 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The throttle itself is rather pricey, but if the Command station is offered at a lower cost, the combined system may possibly be quite competitive with wireless versions of the Digitrax and NCE alternatives.

So far we only have the makers US list price.  $299.   Compare with Radio throttle maker list prices:  Digitrax DT500D $254,   NCE ProCab with Radio installed $279.95.     Its a "little more", but not out of line with its primary competitors.    How much retailer discount happens is unknown. 

Compared to a smart phone made in their millions, any low-volume DCC device will look expensive. 

- Nigel

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Compared to a smart phone made in their millions, any low-volume DCC device will look expensive. 

But I cannot be the only older (ok, so old!) person, and hands don't get steadier with age, who is diffident at the thought of touch-screen control, with the scope for unintended touches having catastrophic effects. I use iPhone and iPad regularly - and know how often I get an unexpected result! A proper throttle suits me. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I also do like a dedicated wi-fi handset and pleased I got the Prodigy wi-fi upgrade for my Gaugemaster/MRC system expensive though it was. The release of this TCS handset is interesting because while it might just be coincidence, while it seems supplies of the Prodigy system are now arriving again after the recent takeover of MRC the wi-fi options apart from the wi-fi adapter block aren't, and I just wonder if MRC might go down the same route of a handset to use with it as an alternative to phones/tablets. No doubt we will see. It's all a moving feast isn't it.

Izzy

TCS has several videos on YouTube about the UWT 100 throttle.  Just search TCS DCC on YouTube.  I have been waiting for something like this.  I will probably purchase one soon.  Right now my dt400r is in to digitrax for repair.  Its not the first time I have had to use their repair service.  I have used my smart phone but its too easy to accidentally touch the wrong spot on it. 

DT500D throttles are $199.95 at Micro-Mark here in the US.

Edited by Kevin M
  • Like 1

On 28/02/2020 at 13:20, Ron Ron Ron said:

From American forum discussions, it appears that awareness of anything DCC that's not Digitrax, NCE, MRC or even Easy-DCC,  is very limited or non-existent.

So the revelation that you can now have the miracle of WiFi connected DCC throttles, appears to be news to people unaware that a few such devices have been around for a number of years.

The USA seems, generally, to be getting less and less interested in what goes on outside its borders and much more inward looking over the last 5 - 10 years. Our hobby and DCC is no exception. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of DCC users in the USA think that the NMRA invented DCC and don't know of the key role that Herr Lenz played in its development.

1 hour ago, GoingUnderground said:

The USA seems, generally, to be getting less and less interested in what goes on outside its borders and much more inward looking over the last 5 - 10 years. .......

It's not in the last 5-10 years at all Keith.

In fact you could argue the reverse, that as a whole, there is more interest and awareness of the outside world, than at any time over the last couple of hundred years.

• Agree 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 21:01, Ron Ron Ron said:

It's not in the last 5-10 years at all Keith.

In fact you could argue the reverse, that as a whole, there is more interest and awareness of the outside world, than at any time over the last couple of hundred years.

Ron, they don't know about WiFi controllers from European makers but do have greater awareness of things outside the USA? Bit of a contradiction.

5 minutes ago, GoingUnderground said:

Ron, they don't know about WiFi controllers from European makers but do have greater awareness of things outside the USA? Bit of a contradiction.

Not all Americans by any imagination, but there’s more awareness of the world at large than there used to be amongst many sections of society, particularly the young.

Blame more travel, the internet, social media and other influences.

Model railways is another matter, but then again look how insular and unaware of new techniques, modern developments and materials many sections of the British model railway community are.

1 hour ago, DaveArkley said:

Looks like JMRI not required to work with a DR5000.

Cheers

Dave

As the video says, no computer/JMRI needed if you buy a Digitrax LNWI.  Unfortunately, the LNWI isn't legally approved for use in the UK.

So, in reality you need JMRI.   JMRI can be cheap and simple - a Raspberry PI can run a pre-made image with JMRI on it, so negligible to zero setup.  Cost around £50 for PI, case, power supply, etc..

- Nigel

I received my UWT-100 today.  It took me longer to get my computer started than it did to get started using the throttle.  I'm using it with Digitrax DSC50, Locobuffer-USB and JMRI.  So far I am impressed.  It feels nice in hand and I don't have to worry about accidentally touching the screen (smart phone).  I agree that it is a bit expensive but I think it is well worth the price.  It has a very intuitive interface.  I never looked at the manual.  Of course I had already watched the videos.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 10 months later...

Just found a mini review of the UWT-100 in the May 2020 edition of Hornby Magazine. 

The review states that 'Consisting (double heading) and CV programming are also both possible with the UWT-100 and we found the consisting process one of the simplest to use both in setup, operation and clearing double-headed formations.'

However i can find nothing in the menus that suggest CV programming is possible. 

If anyone knows different I be glad to know how this is achieved.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tender said:

Just found a mini review of the UWT-100 in the May 2020 edition of Hornby Magazine. 

The review states that 'Consisting (double heading) and CV programming are also both possible with the UWT-100 and we found the consisting process one of the simplest to use both in setup, operation and clearing double-headed formations.'

However i can find nothing in the menus that suggest CV programming is possible. 

If anyone knows different I be glad to know how this is achieved.

Ray.

I Googled TCS UWT-100 CV Programming, and found a TCS webpage that was extremely thin on detail. It says that CV Programming is only available in LCC mode and more details will be provided. Since the page is dated last March this is not promising. I suggest contacting  John Russell, who still posts here as BromsMods, because I think he is now the UK conduit for all things TCS.

It is inconceivable to me that a new DCC throttle would not enable easy Ops Mode programming via wifi or radio. Sound locos thrive on such, since you can instantly hear the difference while the loco is running. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:
2 hours ago, tender said:

I Googled TCS UWT-100 CV Programming, and found a TCS webpage that was extremely thin on detail. It says that CV Programming is only available in LCC mode and more details will be provided. Since the page is dated last March this is not promising. I suggest contacting  John Russell, who still posts here as BromsMods, because I think he is now the UK conduit for all things TCS.

It is inconceivable to me that a new DCC throttle would not enable easy Ops Mode programming via wifi or radio. Sound locos thrive on such, since you can instantly hear the difference while the loco is running. 

LCC requires matching LCC compatible hardware, notably a server and command station.   I don't think anyone has released a commercial LCC command station yet.  So that mode of operation is somewhere between "bleeding edge DIY" and "theoretical".

The other mode of control in the TCS throttle is via a WiThrottle server.  Which can be through JMRI on a computer,

or one of the WiFi server hardware units that makers such as Digitrax and MRC(Gaugemaster) sell.  The server can then connect a phone or tablet app, or a hardware WiFi throttle such as the TCS unit.   
But, as far as I'm aware (reading the JMRI technical docs) the WiThrottle protocols don't include any programming commands.   So, programming via a WiThrottle connection isn't possible.  

I'd suggest that Hornby Magazine repeated the contents of a TCS press release when it came to the comment on programming capabilities. 

- Nigel

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...