How do I get inside Bachmann mk1 corridor coaches?

bubbles2

I can’t believe this hasn’t  been asked before but if it has I’m unable to find it, how do I get inside Bachmann mk1 corridor coaches? As I have some that require the glazing refitting also need to give them a more lived in look, painted interior, people, blinds, open windows etc etc.

• RMweb Gold

If I remember correctly from when I opened mine some time ago, there are 3 screws in the underframe two of which can only be accessed by removing the bogies. Take care that the spring for the bogies doesn't ping into oblivion though ... 

You also have to disengage the toilet filler pipes. 

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1

Construction varies. The earlier releases with the mountainous roof ridges, the roof can be unclipped, after any of the pipe representations which run onto the roof have been unclipped from  the coach end. However it is easier to understand this if you first follow what is described above, and then completely separate sides from roof

Later releases with smooth roofs, the body shell, sides roof and ends is all one piece.

I find it helpful to mark up underframe, seating/interior and body inside out of sight at disassembly so they are all correctly reassembled. Nothing like having the seating and/or partitions, and the window and door layout, and the footboards all matching up...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

........ I find it helpful to mark up underframe, seating/interior and body inside out of sight at disassembly so they are all correctly reassembled. Nothing like having the seating and/or partitions, and the window and door layout, and the footboards all matching up...

indeed  -  but I think Bachmann have cottoned on to that : I wanted to reverse the chassis on my Birdcage Brake Compo ( so the three-point support matched the other two coaches ) and on these vehicles, at least, the body clips are positioned asymmetrically so you can't get it wrong.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just looking at this thread since this is exactly what I'm trying to do....I have one of the newer MK1 CK coaches with smooth roof and it seems that just the roof unclips (there is only a single screw in the chassis, none underneath the bogies, pretty sure the chassis and sides are a single piece).  So on the face of it this should be easy but the only thing preventing the roof coming off completely is the pipes on the coach ends which are fixed incredibly firmly at top and bottom.  Has anyone any tips for removing these without breaking something?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Solo said:

Just looking at this thread since this is exactly what I'm trying to do....I have one of the newer MK1 CK coaches with smooth roof and it seems that just the roof unclips (there is only a single screw in the chassis, none underneath the bogies, pretty sure the chassis and sides are a single piece).  So on the face of it this should be easy but the only thing preventing the roof coming off completely is the pipes on the coach ends which are fixed incredibly firmly at top and bottom.  Has anyone any tips for removing these without breaking something?

I slide a scalpel blade [*] under the wire and then gently twist/lever it to try and break the glue joint.

The key is to apply the pressure upwards and away from where the wire is fixed to the roof/body.

Possibly not the best thing to use, but it is fairly thin, so it slides in.

• RMweb Premium

Wow, super-quick reply, thanks for that.  Just tried something similar to the above but with a small flat-bladed screwdriver, eventually the pipe levered out but what was interesting was how deeply into the carriage end it was inserted.  Put a tiny piece of blu-tac between pipe and body to try to protect the paintwork (still managed to scratch it.....) and when the pipe was levered out sufficiently used some small pliers to finish the job and disengage from the socket.  Will have to cross the bridge of how to re-shape the somewhat warped pipe when I come to it....

Sometimes wonder why manufacturers produce such beautiful coaches then expect us to want them to run around empty!

Having said that, the MK2 carriages are far easier to work with.

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2020 at 21:34, bubbles2 said:

I can’t believe this hasn’t  been asked before but if it has I’m unable to find it, how do I get inside Bachmann mk1 corridor coaches?

You'd have to be very small! :unsure:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, PMP99 said:

You'd have to be very small! :unsure:

Also I think you'd find the seats even harder than on an IET.....would be kinda fun though.

• RMweb Premium

Actually I've just discovered that rather than having to take the whole roof off if you disconnect one end and then prop open the roof with a cocktail stick then ample space is provided to both insert passengers and do a bit of internal decor.....

IMG_1173.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3