Apocrypha, USA

SonOfMike

More progress: a few grass tufts added (still bushes and weeds etc. to add), crossbucks (cocktail sticks and card) installed, some rudimentary trees planted and a couple of utility poles knocked together out of bits of sprue.

Here is a pretty much overall snap of the layout as it is currently (can’t wait until I can sort that crinkled backscene now, it’s getting on my nerves).

WIN_20200427_15_17_32_Pro.jpg

Edited by SonOfMike
Added construction details
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Progress on the layout has paused for a day or two; partly because I fancied a change and partly because I have some small details to paint before I add them and I have run out of thinners and therefore can’t clean my brushes if I paint anything. I don’t want to spend a fortune on a new bottle of Humbrol enamel thinners, ‘cause times is ‘ard at the moment, but I am having difficulty finding any shops locally that have any white spirit in stock. I have a couple more to try that I can pop into when I am doing grocery shopping and therefore not making any unnecessary journeys. If they are also out of stock I may just have to fork out online for something.

Anyway, in the meantime I have nearly finished cobbling together this little Frankenstein’s creation of a monstrosity (although I actually think it’s rather cute) whilst not spending any money on it. It’s put together from an assortment of bits I had lying around plus some household items. It consists of:

Loco:

Boiler, cab, cylinders, wheels, coupling rods and chassis from an MDC roundhouse “Old Time Consolidation” kit. Motor, pickups, connecting rods and crossheads from an old Bowser or Mantua loco – the crossheads were too wide to fit between the slide bars and had to be filed considerably (and carefully).

Smokestack made from the tube that protects a paint brush when it’s new plus some tape for the rim, pop valves and whistle from bits of sprue, generator from a cable tidy and sprue, cab roof hatch and smokebox number plate from scraps of plasticard, headlamp from the tender of the Bowser / Mantua wotsit, air tanks from old 13 amp fuses and tape.

Handrails and handrail knobs were also salvaged from the Bowser / Mantua / whatever it was.

Tender:

Floor and wheels from the Bowser / Mantua thingumajig (as the power is picked up by one side of the loco and returned via the tender) and the body from an old Bachmann tender. The tender has been crudely modified with offcuts of plasticard and odds and ends from the spares box to represent an oil tender (if you squint and don’t happen to know an oil tender from your elbow that is).

I’m hoping she will look OK once painted and weathered… I just need something to clean my brushes with… D’oh!

WIN_20200429_14_01_10_Pro.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I intend to try and take some photos of the layout outside, with stock on it tomorrow. In the meantime here are a few very quick snaps, taken on my phone, of a few details added today. I'm still doing everything on a shoestring and everything has been put together from odds and sods and found materials.  I still have plenty more to do. I really need some figures but I'm not sure I can justify the expense just yet.

Anyway, in no particular order:  a saw horse and planks being sawed, plus sawdust (inspired by @MAP66 's wonderful Tyteford Halte), a scrap pile, some discarded wooden pallets and some trash cans...

20200506_141200.jpg

20200506_141224.jpg

20200506_141208.jpg

20200506_180006.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

We're in luck - a local freight, hauled by a large consolidation comes through Apocrypha and then past the Anneka buildings where it will drop off a couple of empty cars for the mill. I had to climb up on top of one of the mill buildings to get the first shot ;)

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 5

I can feel the heat & humidity from here!! Well done for waiting around so long to catch the action for us :good: time for another cold beer..!! :drinks:

PS, has anyone seen my banjo lying around? Could've sworn I left it at the bar last night. :scratchhead:

Anyway, I did hear that the Shay crew were muttering about needing some kindling this morning as the fire had gone low overnight. I do hope they found some. :dontknow:

• Funny 3

What a beautiful and atmospheric little layout, definitely one of the best Inglenooks I've ever seen, I could imagine myself walking round it and being eyed suspiciously as a stranger by the locals :)

Well done indeed.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1