Realtime Trains - Locomotive/Unit Allocations to freight & passenger services.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed it is. Definitely a nice to have to see what is allocated for haulage that day. I would be interested to know if the image of the train does actually reflect which way round the loco is...is 'Eddystone' tender-first towards Swanage?

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Indeed it is. Definitely a nice to have to see what is allocated for haulage that day. I would be interested to know if the diagram of the train does actually reflect which way round the loco is...is 'Eddystone' tender-first towards Swanage?

Yes, hopefully the illustration on the website of the locomotive leading from Swanage to Norden, like this;

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-pt:845/2021-05-24/detailed

and with tender leading from Norden to Swanage, like this;

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-pt:850/2021-05-24/detailed

do actually reflect the diagram being worked.

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 4630 said:

hopefully the illustration on the website <snip> does actually reflect the diagram being worked.

It certainly does for other operators.  This has become a very useful tool on SWR when customers ask where the first class, easy-access or bike carriages are on the train.  Not only do staff no longer have to guess whether it will be a 158 or 159, 444 or 450 but the actual formation and the orientation of each unit is shown.  As is the correct livery.  

Whilst in theory all 444s should have first class at the country end they do get turned (usually via the Fareham - Eastleigh - Southampton triangle) and that affects whether easy-access is on coach 2 or coach 4.  Bikes are always in coach 3.  With the other types the situation is similar.  In a delay-minute attribution environment it can help to speed boarding at intermediate stations if one knows in advance where the relevant vehicles are on the train and direct customers to wait in the appropriate areas.  

• 4630 changed the title to Realtime Trains - Avanti West Coast, GBRf, Scotrail, Caledonian Sleeper, LNER, Locomotive Services Limited, Northern Trains, CrossCountry, South Western Railway, Swanage Railway and TransPennine Express
  • RMweb Gold

It looks as though TransPennine Express has now been added to the list of train operators on Real Time Trains quoting unit number details.

Just a note of caution from my quick review, class 185 and class 802 unit numbers are being correctly shown.  The class 68 locomotive number is also shown however the Nova 3 set number isnt (yet?) quoted for when that stock is working services, although a suitably accurate graphic of the working is shown on the appropriate RTT service page.

Edited by 4630
29/5 to add TransPennine Express
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4630 changed the title to Realtime Trains - Avanti West Coast, GBRf, Scotrail, Caledonian Sleeper, LNER, Locomotive Services Limited, Northern Trains, CrossCountry, South Western Railway, Swanage Railway, TransPennine Express and Transport for Wales
  • 3 months later...
  • 4630 changed the title to Realtime Trains - GWR, Avanti West Coast, GBRf, Scotrail, Caledonian Sleeper, LNER, Locomotive Services Limited, Northern Trains, CrossCountry, South Western Railway, Swanage Railway, TransPennine Express and Transport for Wales
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Is that a regular service, or a one-off?

It's a regular weekday timetabled service - 1D79, 18.50 London Paddington - Didcot Parkway - and appears to be diagrammed for three class 387 EMUs.

The working on 24th however may well be the first time that it's run with three exGatEx 387/2s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4630 changed the title to Realtime Trains - East Midlands Railway, GWR, Avanti West Coast, GBRf, Scotrail, Caledonian Sleeper, LNER, Locomotive Services Limited, Northern Trains, CrossCountry, South Western Railway, Swanage Railway, TransPennine Express and Transport for Wales
  • RMweb Gold

East Midlands Railway (EMR) has today been added to the list of train operating companies that provide unit details to be shown on Realtime Trains.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This is from Open Train Times:

“ We've stopped hiding non-passenger operators data on our site, so
everything's going out in the clear - maps and timetables.  You can expect
other sites to follow suit too.”

DRS are now showing headcodes on RTT.

Hopefully, DB and DCR train description codes will start to appear in the next couple of days on RTT

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

This is from Open Train Times:

“ We've stopped hiding non-passenger operators data on our site, so
everything's going out in the clear - maps and timetables.  You can expect
other sites to follow suit too.”

DRS are now showing headcodes on RTT.

Hopefully, DB and DCR train description codes will start to appear in the next couple of days on RTT

Yes, I’ve read elsewhere that, once a freight service has been activated on the railways system, irrespective of the freight operator (DRS, DBC, FL, Colas, etc) the full reporting code should now be shown. 

Apparently these are now showing on Real Time Trains and should show up with other providers in due course. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Wish they could get GTR on there, well just Southern would suit me as I have nothing to do with what us Coastway guys call the other railway (i.e. that Thameslink bunch!) as our own app (Tornado) is apparently being binned and at the moment it is the only way I can find out the units working on our bit.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another 3 TOCs for Know your train,

Chiltern - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G58643/2022-10-03/detailed#allox_id=0

Grand Central - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C43373/2022-10-03/detailed#allox_id=0

Hull Trains - https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C32887/2022-10-03/detailed#allox_id=0

Almost easier to list the ones that aren't participating now!

Dale

• Informative/Useful 3

• 4630 changed the title to Realtime Trains - Locomotive/Unit Allocations to freight & passenger services.
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, dale159 said:

Almost easier to list the ones that aren't participating now!

Dale

Indeed, but I imagine efforts are probably going on behind the scenes to encourage the remainder to participate too.

I've amended the thread title to remove the now lengthy list of companies.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know that Realtime Trains takes its live data feeds from the various railway systems and is therefore always open to the occasional instance of spurious reporting that is outside of its control, but I did chuckle at this one that I noticed on Saturday morning.

RTT1U4715072023-RMweb.jpg.8ac3f711d70a1bcbe6ce8defbb109a04.jpg

I know TransPennine Express have their difficulties so anything is possible, but that's probably not a working that's likely to operate as either a class 3 or class 5 ECS move, certainly not with the class 185 leading as suggested, let alone in passenger service!

I believe that 185148 was a late substitute to the diagram following the non-availability of the class 68 and Mk5 set.  

Edited by 4630
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• 4 weeks later...