Realtime Trains - Locomotive/Unit Allocations to freight & passenger services.

• RMweb Gold

For those who make use of the Realtime Trains (RTT) website, there's been a recent enhancement affecting GBRf freight workings that may add further benefit to some.

Most users of RTT will be aware the majority of freight reporting codes are scrambled, the exception being those operated by GBRf where the 'proper' code is shown.

In addition to the full reporting code for GBRf, once the working has been fully set up on the railway systems (TOPS) prior to departure, the GBRf locomotive allocated to the working is also now included in the detailed RTT response.   As shown on the attached link in the second white box on the left;

GBRf 66776 operated this service

I'm viewing RTT on my laptop so the mobile version may display the information differently.

I know there are occasional instances where what's on TOPS disagrees with real life, but in my view this is a useful addition. 

Update - mobile version of RTT

=========================

The locomotive number is shown, but you have to select the 'Show train information' link shown above the timing detail for the individual working concerned.

Edited by 4630
Edit 03/10/2022 to amend thread title
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

Thanks for the heads up, that's a really useful feature.

I've been trying to catch blue liveried GBRf 60026 working the Port of Tyne - Lynemouth biomass, so now I can look out for this loco. Realtime trains currently shows 60076 which is the usual loco on these workings.

RTT was useful a couple of weeks ago when the Flying Razor Blades was moved to Alton. Someone on local radio hear dabout it passing through Farnham, so a quick look on RTT and a phone call to BBC local radio showed the other caller had about 10 minutes to get to Farnham to see it.

It took an odd route, not via the main line from Woking as expected, but Guildford, across the branch to Aldershot, then Alton with a long-ish break at Farnham for some reason. I think it went via Clapham Junction, East Putney and the District to Wimbledon for good measure, or maybe via Staines and Weybridge.

Edited by roythebus

10 hours ago, roythebus said:

RTT was useful a couple of weeks ago when the Flying Razor Blades was moved to Alton. Someone on local radio hear dabout it passing through Farnham, so a quick look on RTT and a phone call to BBC local radio showed the other caller had about 10 minutes to get to Farnham to see it.

It took an odd route, not via the main line from Woking as expected, but Guildford, across the branch to Aldershot, then Alton with a long-ish break at Farnham for some reason. I think it went via Clapham Junction, East Putney and the District to Wimbledon for good measure, or maybe via Staines and Weybridge.

If this was a private charter, there is no such thing as an 'odd route'. Those organising the tour would have requested a specific route to entice the track bashers in need of new, unusual track not normally available on standard 'service' trains.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, roythebus said:

It took an odd route, not via the main line from Woking as expected, but Guildford, across the branch to Aldershot, then Alton with a long-ish

break at Farnham for some reason.

All steam locos that visit the Mid Hants Railway arriving via network rail, go via Guildford in one direction to reverse as there is no turntable to turn the loco at the MHR. This is usually done on the inbound trip so that it can leave the MHR chimney first.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm struggling to get RTT to tell me the info I'm after - perhaps I am expecting too much?

I am trying to find out which CrossCountry trains through Newcastle (if any) are operated by HSTs, rather than the usual Voyagers. Is there a way of finding this out, or indeed, is there anywhere else which can give me accurate info in advance?

Many thanks in anticipation

Trevor

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

I'm struggling to get RTT to tell me the info I'm after - perhaps I am expecting too much?

I am trying to find out which CrossCountry trains through Newcastle (if any) are operated by HSTs, rather than the usual Voyagers. Is there a way of finding this out, or indeed, is there anywhere else which can give me accurate info in advance?

Trevor

Not from RTT but an alternative source and I can’t vouch for its accuracy, but posted in good faith;

Valid until Saturday 16th May 2020

============================

Monday

=======
1V44 0611 Leeds to Plymouth / 1S51 1225 Plymouth to Glasgow Central
1V50 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth / 1E63 1525 Plymouth to Leeds
1V54 0632 Dundee to Plymouth

Tuesday/Wednesday

=================

Thursday

=======
1C09 0622 Plymouth to Penzance / 1S49 0925 Penzance to Dundee
1S53 1325 Plymouth to Edinburgh

Friday

=====
1V50 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth/ 1E63 1525 Plymouth to Leeds
1V54 0632 Dundee to Plymouth / 1E73 1725 Plymouth to Leeds
1V64 1307 Edinburgh to Plymouth

Saturday

=======
1V54 0633 Dundee to Plymouth / 1E73 1727 Plymouth to Leeds

Sunday

======
1V48 0810 Leeds to Plymouth / 1S55 1425 Plymouth to Edinburgh
1V50 0900 Leeds to Plymouth / 1E63 1523 Plymouth to York
1V56 0908 Edinburgh to Plymouth
1S51 1225 Plymouth to Glasgow Central

Edited by 4630
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

Trevor

If you look at the individual train details under the ‘Pathed as’ heading it says either Class 220/221 DMU or High Speed Train

• RMweb Premium

RTT is a very useful tool both professionally and informally.  It is, however, as good as all other systems in terms of only offering the information input at source.  Loco numbers might be a nice-to-have add-on but nothing beats first-hand observation.

By way of illustration, and not from RTT, the various programs which drive staff and public information systems can give rise to odd and unexpected messages.  Case in point - "The next train is formed of 16 carriages; you must travel in the front 12 carriages for Victoria as this station has a short platform".  At some point four 4-car unit numbers were entered as the formation.  It arrived as the expected 8-car train.  

29 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Not from RTT but an alternative source and I can’t vouch for its accuracy, but posted in good faith;

Valid until Saturday 16th May 2020

============================

Monday

=======
1V54 0632 Dundee to Plymouth

Tuesday/Wednesday

=================

Thursday

=======
1C09 0622 Plymouth to Penzance / 1S49 0925 Penzance to Dundee
1S53 1325 Plymouth to Edinburgh

Friday

=====
1V50 0606 Edinburgh to Plymouth/ 1E63 1525 Plymouth to Leeds
1V54 0632 Dundee to Plymouth / 1E73 1725 Plymouth to Leeds
1V64 1307 Edinburgh to Plymouth

Saturday

=======
1V54 0633 Dundee to Plymouth / 1E73 1727 Plymouth to Leeds

Sunday

======
1V48 0810 Leeds to Plymouth / 1S55 1425 Plymouth to Edinburgh
1V50 0900 Leeds to Plymouth / 1E63 1523 Plymouth to York
1V56 0908 Edinburgh to Plymouth
1S51 1225 Plymouth to Glasgow Central

Many thanks for going to the trouble of forwarding that, 4630. 

I also have a copy and when I turned up at Newcastle a week or two back the FO 1V54 turned out to be a Voyager. I need to know the actual, not the proposed workings.

I think BoD might have the answer (in the post following yours).

Kind regards

Trevor

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

I need to know the actual, not the proposed workings.

Planned working can change at the last moment and even during a journey.  "Proposed" workings are what should happen.  They normally do but a train fault, a crew member unfamiliar with the stock, the need to run via a different route, the need to recover time after disruption and many other reasons may affect what is planned.  that may well be why a Voyager turned up when you were hoping for an HST.  Such things frustrate us all at times but are part of the normal operation of the railways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following on from my initial post recently that advised that the locomotive allocated by GBRf to each freight working was now being reported on Realtime Trains (RTT), I understand that there has been a further development to RTT, this time affecting Scotrail services.

RTT is now displaying the individual unit number, EMU or DMU, allocated for many (but not all yet, apparently) of Scotrail’s services.  

Edited by 4630
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/02/2020 at 14:03, Trev52A said:

Trevor

You can get it but only in real time by using this site -

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/

You need to select your station and then select which screen you want but it is running in real time so you don't get a whole day at once.  When you select your station you will get this screen -

729429530_Nclescreen.jpg.66679cf3d0d0b2bf06a414a19634f8c1.jpg

If you then select CIS Detailed Summary you should get this. And watch what information scrolls under each train title). But you do have to watch it for the whole day of course and you're still relying on Control putting in the correct information in the first place - 

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/rendercis.asp?file=3001A0.xml

The Reading one gives far more detailed information so you can even check if IETs are correctly formed/the right way round!

http://iris2.rail.co.uk/tiger/rendercis.asp?file=303320.xml

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 4630 changed the title to Realtime Trains - GBRf and Scotrail

@ MIke, The Stationmaster

That's great - many thanks!

I realise this is a bit OT on a GBRf and Scotrail thread (!) but I can see from that site which XC trains are composed of 7 coaches - that must mean HST, right?

OK, I'll check on Friday morning what 1V64 1308 Edinburgh-Plymouth is composed of on the Edinburgh page and check it out in the flesh at Newcastle (due 1442).

Kind regards 

Trevor

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 21:25, 4630 said:

Following on from my initial post recently that advised that the locomotive allocated by GBRf to each freight working was now being reported on Realtime Trains (RTT), I understand that there has been a further development to RTT, this time affecting Scotrail services.

RTT is now displaying the individual unit number, EMU or DMU, allocated for many (but not all yet, apparently) of Scotrail’s services.  

Now also showing a neat pictogram of the Scotrail formations as well. :dirol_mini:

(I like how the angled 380 gangways change to connect properly when in multiple...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Glorious NSE said:

Now also showing a neat pictogram of the Scotrail formations as well. :dirol_mini:

(I like how the angled 380 gangways change to connect properly when in multiple...)

Yes the developer of RTT has been adding more over the last day. I think class 334 has been the latest. 

Here’s hoping that the other TOCs see the benefit and follow suit. 

Still talking about RTT and freight trains (so hopefully folks won't say I'm O/T)

This came past my office window c.15:50 yesterday

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H04270/2020-03-10/detailed

I was first alerted that it was something unusual by the heavy rumbling. i.e. heavier than the usual passenger services. The loco had already passed by the time l looked out the window.

But RTT says "Train obfuscated" - bah!

Sadly I can't even remember what that type of wagons are called. They are a dark brown (rust?) colour, with a three-part curved roof (that looks like it slides back over itself). Any ideas?

• RMweb Premium

Heavy with a three-part curved roof sounds like loaded steel wagons with telescopic covers. Can't help with anything more precise though, sorry!