Kielder "Green Dragon" Project

MattDitch

Several years ago there were plans to build an Eco friendly narrow gauge railway near Kielder in Northumbria. Sadly those plans never really came to fruition. I've complied what information I could find along with a walk of the proposed route over on my blog. Please click here to read my findings.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2020 at 14:55, MattDitch said:

Several years ago there were plans to build an Eco friendly narrow gauge railway near Kielder in Northumbria. Sadly those plans never really came to fruition. I've complied what information I could find along with a walk of the proposed route over on my blog. Please click here to read my findings.

This looks very interesting, and there’s enough detail to build a reasonable ‘might have been’ model. I’d need to check but I think ‘Saccharine’ the Fowler also ran at Alford Valley, I think that was before Kielder though. Interesting to see that the coach was actually built (were more planned but not constructed?) and that it appears to have its own stove with chimney.

Also interesting that this article seems to confirm that the coach was built before they had committed to the project: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/you-invited-meet-kielders-green-4544438

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

This looks very interesting, and there’s enough detail to build a reasonable ‘might have been’ model. I’d need to check but I think ‘Saccharine’ the Fowler also ran at Alford Valley, I think that was before Kielder though. Interesting to see that the coach was actually built (were more planned but not constructed?) and that it appears to have its own stove with chimney.

Also interesting that this article seems to confirm that the coach was built before they had committed to the project: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/you-invited-meet-kielders-green-4544438

I have thought about making a model inspired by this from time to time. Yes you are right it was based at the Alford valley before the project was started. I'm assuming they planned to build more, but when the project fell through those plans would have been scraped. 

• Like 2