WH Smiths Merry Hill (West Mids) to close.

F-UnitMad

41 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Have you been to the one at the buffers at Euston? I’ve bought Hornby Magazine from there in the past, and away from London I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen the ‘big four’ (Hornby, BRM, Model Rail and Railway Modeller) on sale at the one in Birmingham New Street. 

I'm sure the 'big four' will be found in the smaller branches of Smiffs & other places. It's all the other, more interesting mags I'm worried about missing when this larger branch closes.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SVRlad said:

Jessops, too - these days all smartphones are fitted with cameras and not many people, other than those who do photography professionally or have a firm interest in it, buy and use cameras, and especially my generation these days don’t tend to bother with printed photos when they can put their photos on Instagram/Snapchat/Twitter etc. 

I think this obsession with cameras on smartphones is driving the price beyond all reasonable levels.

Look at the iPhone 11Pro (£1500), which still wouldn't better a half reasonable & cheaper digital camera.

If you are that interested in photo quality why would you want to use a phone?

BTW

I have a Motorola phone with a 16Mbit camera and a £250 Canon compact with 20mbits but the compact has a far superior lens and options and still fits in a pocket.

I don't make prints, just digital copies.

Edited by melmerby

• 2 months later...
On 28/02/2020 at 17:23, F-UnitMad said:

Rather bad news for some of us in the West Midlands; our Browsing Library - a.k.a. "Smiffs" on RMweb, located at the Merry Hill* shopping centre, is to close at the end of March.

Whilst other branches are at Stourbridge & Halesowen, the Merry Hill store was a big one, and has all the railway mags & 'bookazines', including - importantly for my interests - Model Railroader, Trains, and Classic Trains from the USA.

Worryingly, the smaller branches might not get those titles in as a matter of course. They'll probably still have the UK 'big four'.

Browsing may be frowned on by some, who might advocate subscriptions, but I for one always like to see what's in an issue first, before deciding to buy or not, and I find that no magazine - UK or US - always has content of interest to me in every single issue, & a sub from the USA is also rather expensive.

'Smiffs' was my retreat when I had to go to the Merry Hill with SWMBO. With the closures of ModelZone & Maplins a while ago, this closure will mean I have no reason to go to there at all, now, but also nowhere to retreat to!!!  :help:

*a.k.a. locally as the "Merry Hell" shopping centre.... :rolleyes: :mosking:

Visited the former Ian Allen shop in Cardiff with my then new other half. She had never set foot in such an establishment before. She memorably paraphrased 2001: A Space Odyssey: "My God, it's full of nerds!" Actually, she wasn't wrong! We are still together! ;)

• Funny 1