• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

That's a bummer. I assumed at with 2000 available there'd be one for everyone.

That said though, I didn't take any chances this time. Pre logged into Paypal, shut all other browser windows and running programmes, moved laptop as close as I could to the wireless router, hit refresh on the sale page continuously once there were 2 minutes to go...

It let me get all the way through to the end before coming up with "inventory error". Was only on the off chance anyway. It's a fast moving field at the moment so will see what Anycubic have to offer in a couple of months time. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

It should also be remembered these Saturns are, I think, pre normal production? So, if there are any minor improvements that can be done then when they become normally available the regular production ones might be better, even if only slightly.

6 hours ago, TomE said:

It let me get all the way through to the end before coming up with "inventory error". Was only on the off chance anyway. It's a fast moving field at the moment so will see what Anycubic have to offer in a couple of months time. 

Tom. 

Tom

I'm sure there will be many more oppertunities to come. Its good for us the consumer and the company that the demand is high.

Mark 

• Agree 1

On 13/06/2020 at 15:03, monkeysarefun said:

Yay!

now I'm off to bed!

monkeysarefun

Will you be the first on the forum to fill the extra large bed completely and post your triumphs......no pressure lmao.

Mark

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Ark Royal said:

monkeysarefun

Will you be the first on the forum to fill the extra large bed completely and post your triumphs......no pressure lmao.

Mark

I've got to make some space in the shed first - I have trouble finding a spot to put the lid of the Mars down on at the moment!

It was a double win compared to last weekend, I got another email from Monocure saying that their "Tuff" resin is back in limited stocks for testing so I grabbed a half litre, pity the price is twice what it was last week (guess why it hasn't sold out yet..) but I do want to give it a go since the one complaint I do have with standard printing resin is its brittleness.  I really do like their Flexible stuff  (it really IS flexible!) so it'll be interesting to see how "tuff" this is..

Even at the new price its still a lot cheaper than Shapeways!

https://monocure3d.com.au/product-category/rapid-tuff-resin/

40 minutes ago, Ark Royal said:

Triple Winner ?

May be another shed 

Mark

But along with  my other  smaller shed that houses the garden stuff that would make three, and given that my surname actually IS Jackson,  spoil the joke!

si

Hmmm

The review sings the praises of the Saturn and its hard to see why it wouldn't for a machine in this price range and specifications

I feel my resistance fading to the Saturn fading somewhat and the wallet creeking open....

From a company point of view , no pun intended, this will be the launching platform to the development of the next generation (maybe Neptune) and the sucess of that development will depend on the Saturn and its preformance. It could make or break the reputation and market.

From a personal point of view, given the relatively limited experience in the 3D printing field, all of which has been documented here , i have always been very impressed with the Mars and what it is capable of delivering, i've had very few bad experiences and have found the machine easy to use and continue to be amazed at the quality of prints that have been produced.

To that point, here is the 2nd print of the Diagram 1386 20T Mineral Wagon, with update CAD file for strapping definition and coach bolt representation. Its not perfect but i very much doubt the real wagons were. Photo taken at 3.8x magnification on a standard smart phone, coach bolt heads (0.30mm dia, 0.30mm projection)

622329909_Diagram138620TMineralWagon-Bolts.jpg.edf57d27eb479f5c1847473f8660c714.jpg

If the Mars is capable of this, it begs the question what the Saturn could produce.

Diagram 1386 20T Mineral Wagon - New Definition.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The Saturns 4K screen has very very  slightly larger pixel size  than the Mars  (0.05mm compared to 0.047mm)  though it shouldn't be noticeable in the final print , its big advantage is its print bed size and the mono LCD which gives much greater LCD life and much  faster layer times at 1 to 2 secs per layer compared to 8 or more secs for the Mars, Photon etc -  resin dependant) . 

Its the larger print size that sold it to me - being able to print reasonable sized wall sections, even complete small to medium sized 00 scale  buildings compared to having to split them into smaller sections like I do now on my Photon/Mars. 

And the price was pretty mental, the nearest equivalent printer I've found - it has the same build size -  is this, but it has a 2K screenand  the price without shipping is half as much again  what I paid for the Saturn with shipping included. Also,  you've got to assemble a lot of it yourself!

https://www.banggood.com/Kelant-Upgraded-S400SS400-LCD-SLA-UV-Resin-3D-Printer-192120200mm-Large-Build-VolumeDual-rail-Z-axis3_5i-p-1449432.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1

My Elegoo Mars Pro has arrived just waiting for some resin and IPA .......

Whilst waiting I joined the Elegoo Facebook group to get my free FEP sheets and came across the Elegoo Mercury.
It is a curing device for resin prints, consisting of a UV chamber with turntable and timer. Costs about £50 on Amazon, 

of course they didn’t have any, and the Pro is already out of stock again !

Kevin

Edited by Kevinti28

50 minutes ago, Kevinti28 said:

My Elegoo Mars Pro has arrived just waiting for some resin and IPA ..

May I ask where you got yours from? I have one on preorder from 3djake, so if yours came from there perhaps mine will shortly be arriving? Wasnt expecting it til the 26th, but it seems they do turn up early on occasions.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Kevinti28 said:

My Elegoo Mars Pro has arrived just waiting for some resin and IPA .......

Whilst waiting I joined the Elegoo Facebook group to get my free FEP sheets and came across the Elegoo Mercury.
It is a curing device for resin prints, consisting of a UV chamber with turntable and timer. Costs about £50 on Amazon, 

of course they didn’t have any, and the Pro is already out of stock again !

Kevin

I also snagged a pro this week on Amazon, but I also bought one of these to go with it..  

https://www.anycubic.com/products/anycubic-washing-curing-machine

Both have now arrived,  also just waiting for the resin now :)    Hopefully next week, I will get round to installing everything and having a play.

Graham

16 hours ago, Kevinti28 said:

I spotted them on Amazon UK at the weekend and managed to snag one there.

Thanks, I got an email about 3 hours after posting saying mine was now on it's way. Presumably all the european batch came in the same container!

May I ask a question about 3D printing of 4mm scale road vehicles.

Could one of these Elgoo printers produce a 3D clear acrylic body shell (or sides of an 1930s bulbous streamline psv coach to be joined together) economically that one could then paint - leaving the clear acrylic as double curvature windows?

i have looked at posts about 3D printing that say how difficult it proves to be to glaze a cured resin form..

I envisage this to be dropped over an inner 3D chassis and sets?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Could one of these Elgoo printers produce a 3D clear acrylic body shell (or sides of an 1930s bulbous streamline psv coach to be joined together) economically that one could then paint - leaving the clear acrylic as double curvature windows?

i have looked at posts about 3D printing that say how difficult it proves to be to glaze a cured resin form..

I have only just got my elegoo, however, during my research whilst waiting for it I found this video as I was looking at something similar...

Perhaps this may help?

its resin that cures at 405 (although the vid says 402) which is the same wavelength as elegoo resin, so don't know but it was interesting to watch :)  however it was designed for an sla printer and the elegoo is a dlp.

However, one of the models printed in the review is the elegoo mars castle, and he states right up front he used an ember printer which is also a dlp printer  soooooo   :)

G

Edited by Moria15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, runs as required said:

I’ve not had much luck with clear resin. I’ve only used the anycubic stuff and it is really sensitive to print settings and temperature to the point that I gave up with it as it wouldn’t print reliably

also when printed the plastic had more of a frosted look rather than crystal clear (I believe that there are ways around this) And had a slightly brown/murky tint in some lights.

Ive added a picture of my best test print to give you an idea of what I managed

image.jpg.db5116df03ef062509da7e1da879ffd4.jpg

basically the printer can do it but the resin may be challenging to work with

• Thanks 1

Ive also used clear, and while it comes off the printer looking nice and see-through, post processing seems to change it to either browny-clear or greeny clear depending on how long it sit in the sun, whether I washed  it in water  to get off the IPA, and other variables. No doubt it can be done properly to retain it clarity - the facebook threads for the various printers and groups show examples of clear post-processed items, just need the right technique.

In the case of 4mm model autos, the slightly off-colour look mightn't be an issue given that when you look at an actual car from any reasonable distance the windows are notable for their 'shininess' or reflectivity rather than being able to see through them.

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Premium

On 13/06/2020 at 16:30, Kevinti28 said:

I have ordered one, but couldn’t get any of the water washable Elegoo resin. The standard resin is almost £40 a bottle, can anyone recommend a slightly cheaper alternative, to try out my new printer?

I had wanted the water washable as the alcohol is also quite expensive at the moment.

Kevin

I wouldn’t use Water washable resin. The amount of IPA you use is tiny compared to the amount of resin. There are lots of problems with prints cracking with water washable. You use can use acetone or meths if IPA is hard to find. Seems to me that IPA is available again, at roughly double the pre-COVID price. 

Elegoo resin came back  into stock on amazon yesterday, seemed only to be a few colours, at £31 a litre. I usually buy Anycubic resin from AliExpress, it hovers around £29-£32 a litre, and usually arrives (from Spain) within a week. 

On 14/06/2020 at 09:47, TomE said:

Tom. 

Yes they’ve already teased their new offering. I suspect they’ll pull the Photon Mono and instead come up with a new Saturn beater, or rival at least. It’s a great time to be a consumer!

Interesting thread, I have had Elegoo Mars since November 2018, was one of the first ones to get one, mainly for feedback and some development notes and to be fair it hasn't missed a beat, over 2,000 prints and not 1 failure.
Have a couple of others including a development Saturn, which looks to be good printer 3 times the size, Z axis a little disappointing and thought the z rails could be improved as it's not as robust as another printer I own. Hopefully improved the Z calibration also.
Saturn maybe 4k but actually is slightly lower resolution than the Mars but it's only small.

But looks promising I expect mono lcds are the next generation Anycubic announced one a week later about the same size.. details a bit limited at present.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

On 19/06/2020 at 04:38, Adam FW said:

I’ve not had much luck with clear resin. I’ve only used the anycubic stuff and it is really sensitive to print settings and temperature to the point that I gave up with it as it wouldn’t print reliably

also when printed the plastic had more of a frosted look rather than crystal clear (I believe that there are ways around this) And had a slightly brown/murky tint in some lights.

Wonder if automotive clear coat would help, as per refurbishing headlight covers.

I've been using a Mars for the past couple of weeks, with the idea of producing many of the models I sell on Shapeways at a lower cost .

I've standardised on using the Elegoo gray ABS like resin - It's much less brittle than the normal resin, though with a slightly matt finish. It's not particularly cheap - €25 for 500ml - but it gives me the results I want and that's in my opinion is worth paying for. Hopefully the 1 liter bottles at €37 will come back into stock soon at Amazon FR.

It's enabled me to produce some of the  some of the Stuff that has never sold at Shapeways because of it's prices there - £60 for this Freelance but GWR styled bogie railcar  for instance 

mz40A2B.jpg

oC1hhtl.jpg

or this colonial style bogie car 

qnTPaIZ.jpg

It's also enabled me to new things  that were just too expensive to ever make before, like this 009 steeplecab loco blown up to 1:35 scale

UHirr1r.jpg

and an open tram trailer for it to pull

Eb6s1Ht.jpg

LV7PaLb.jpg

If you're wondering why my succulents appear in the background of some of these, it's because I'm UV hardening them in sunlight outside, on the shelves where I propagate the succulents. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, tebee said:

I've been using a Mars for the past couple of weeks, with the idea of producing many of the models I sell on Shapeways at a lower cost .

I've standardised on using the Elegoo gray ABS like resin - It's much less brittle than the normal resin, though with a slightly matt finish. It's not particularly cheap - €25 for 500ml - but it gives me the results I want and that's in my opinion is worth paying for. Hopefully the 1 liter bottles at €37 will come back into stock soon at Amazon FR.

It's enabled me to produce some of the  some of the Stuff that has never sold at Shapeways because of it's prices there - £60 for this Freelance but GWR styled bogie railcar  for instance 

mz40A2B.jpg

oC1hhtl.jpg

or this colonial style bogie car 

qnTPaIZ.jpg

It's also enabled me to new things  that were just too expensive to ever make before, like this 009 steeplecab loco blown up to 1:35 scale

UHirr1r.jpg

and an open tram trailer for it to pull

Eb6s1Ht.jpg

LV7PaLb.jpg

If you're wondering why my succulents appear in the background of some of these, it's because I'm UV hardening them in sunlight outside, on the shelves where I propagate the succulents. 

They all look very good, I've been using the same Elegoo grey having run out of my anycubic translucent yellow and given up on the clear. The grey seems very forgiving on the print settings, I've reduced the exposure time by 30% compared to my original guesstimate settings and the prints still work reliably and I could probably reduce it further. 

The only issue I'm having is that compared to the translucent resins the grey has more clearly defined print lines, especially on flat surfaces which I'm still trying to overcome as I can't stand filling and sanding. I'm not sure if this is a by product of my settings or that the clear resins allowed UV light to cure outside each sliced layer and thus smoothing it