Mystery CCT identification please...

I came across a post on this forum re the below CCT and wondered if anyone could tell me who the manufacturer was?  I bought a box of old tinplate toys and this Wagon was wrapped in newspaper (dated 1971) at the bottom. I’ve looked online, and I can find six wheelers by Darstaed, but nothing apart from photos on this forum. Thank you!

7E5C9EDF-17B6-43D1-9780-8A0691847FB2.jpeg

62538052-B251-4D6A-8665-AD4250C7477B.jpeg

6324894D-5A6B-4924-AA45-FAEB4D8C5D41.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I expect @Nearholmer can tell us. I'm sure I've seen one of these discussed before - early tinplate, quite possibly truly pre-grouping modelling in that it may be contemporary with the prototype. It looks to me a bit too bashed about to be a modern copy - I'm not sure the retro tinplate revival had got going in 1971. 

Livery wise, it's a very good representation of a LNWR D446 motor car truck but shortened to fit a standard tinplate underframe.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

I thought at first it was paper overlay on a Hornby coach, but now I’m not so sure.

Is it genuinely tin-printed, or is it ‘wallpapered’?

If it’s tin-printed, I think it might be a Bing copy of Carette, but Mark Carne will know for sure, being the primary expert on Bing for the British market.

For reference, here is a genuine Carette one.

E4FC56C7-674C-49AB-BF28-4DE5A30B48C2.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

One other possibility just struck me ....... a chap (from Yorkshire?) whose name has gone right out of my head, who hand-painted things in the style of Carette, I think during the 1970s and 1980s. Again Mark is the expert.

That end lettering certainly looks hand-painted.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

50 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

That end lettering certainly looks hand-painted.

It very much does, but pre-PC so was the lettering for paper litho overlays, and quite a bit of the artwork that became tin-printing litho, so it can be very difficult to tell what a thing is without having it in your hands. Ace were tin-printing coaches from hand-drawn artwork as recently as the 1990s.

At the moment I'm leaning in the direction that this is an overlay job -  look along the bottom of the sides, above the solebar - doesn't that look like paper ruched by a not-sharp-enough knife?; what I think might be cutouts to get over the lamp-irons on the ends; and, look at the lower part of the ends above the buffers - but without it in my hands .......

Bruce Palmer lists in his 'catalogue' an overlay in this livery to fit a Hornby No.1 coach, and IIRC that is an old hand-drawn one.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1