So getting the house ready for an additional family member, i lack the space to continue with my bigger exhibition planned layout. So I’ve chosen to start something a little bit smaller that I can take to exhibitions. 

Using scale model scenery’s modular base board BB017 which fits into a Christmas tree box. The plan is a fictional siding off the western mainline in east Brislington of Bristol. East Brislington is also served with a main line station that has 3 platforms. Two of which serve the up and down lines and also a third that serves as a terminus for a branch line down to join the former Bristol & North Somerset railway which linked the city to the towns of Somerset coalfields. 

The station section will be featured on 2 other boards in the future, but for now it will focus on the sidings. 

0CF39C4E-9350-4331-A3AF-6C9D8947C649.jpeg

N gauge micro layout idea 2 plus fiddle yard mk2.jpg

Edited by Elliot Friend
  • Like 8

47 minutes ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Looks great, what sections are you using fiddle yard area?

The main board is made up with the left end of the BB017 whilst the right end is the extension BB021. The fiddle yard is the other end of the BB017 but turned around if that makes sense. 

24 minutes ago, Jerry1975 said:

Baseboard looks great,  looking forward to seeing more. 

Jerry. 

Hi Jerry, thanks I will try and keep updates as regular as I can!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Bristol structures were mainly of stone not brick.

Gordon A

Thanks for your input. This will be a fictional layout. I’ve found several brick bridges in the area. As for the retaining walls, I prefer the look of the brick ones over the stone ones supplied by metcalfe. This is my imagination of what this siding would of looked like. It’s also based in the late 50’s. 

cheers! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought (may be to late ) 

Looking at the track plan and I presume a sector plate in the fiddle yard.

You could have a hidden kickback siding under the terrace houses on the scenic board.

Very much like the plan and will watching its progress.

Terry 

28 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Just a thought (may be to late ) 

Looking at the track plan and I presume a sector plate in the fiddle yard.

You could have a hidden kickback siding under the terrace houses on the scenic board.

Very much like the plan and will watching its progress.

Terry 

Haven’t even bought the track yet so that’s a good thought! The raised infrastructure has supports going through it so may be difficult plus when I extend it I won’t be able to access the kickback. The fiddle yard is also undecided on track plan. I wanted a transversing fiddle yard but due to the thin material used for the baseboards, the idea was put to rest. Thanks for the idea tho appreciate it! 

43 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

I like the look of your structural building work. This is looking great.

Thanks! 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Elliot Friend said:

Haven’t even bought the track yet so that’s a good thought! The raised infrastructure has supports going through it so may be difficult plus when I extend it I won’t be able to access the kickback. The fiddle yard is also undecided on track plan. I wanted a transversing fiddle yard but due to the thin material used for the baseboards, the idea was put to rest. Thanks for the idea tho appreciate it! 

Thanks! 

Alternative to the traverser may be.....

1. Cassette storage system.

2. Straight single piece of PECO track and use PECO Loco lifts ( Join two or three together to extend the length )

Terry 

1 hour ago, ELTEL said:

Alternative to the traverser may be.....

1. Cassette storage system.

2. Straight single piece of PECO track and use PECO Loco lifts ( Join two or three together to extend the length )

Terry 

Just planning out a cassette storage system which i could make at work. Each board will have two tracks and be able to locate on either track coming from the layout using dowels for alignment. i wont start it until the track has been laid.

cheers for the suggestions. 

With all the houses in place I think it will look fine - to me it nicely sets the scene as midsummer, which you could emphasize that with dry brown grass, plants in flower, windows open etc. And I look forward to seeing what you can get up to with that track plan.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Small update: whilst I wait for a backscene to turn up, cracking on with some of the buildings. The corner pub has been slightly modified to have a larger courtyard which will have a few beer barrels and tables in. Still need to make a wall around it. 

0ACC7F5E-2197-41C7-BA77-6FA2E6C55F62.jpeg

2F2A8B92-5F99-4C20-8575-96FC7DE23C63.jpeg

• Like 6

Guest Jack Benson

That is neat.

The SMS baseboard modules are a really good idea, how many packs did you buy to create the layout?

cheers

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Elliot Friend said:

Roughly positioning the townscene back scene to see how it will look. 

E904CA57-BDBC-44E4-88E3-4E44FA0B80E3.jpeg

2C8BC94C-E752-48E8-8ECF-D92E76E3ECDD.jpeg

Looks fantastic, excellent work and back scene blends in nicely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

That is neat.

The SMS baseboard modules are a really good idea, how many packs did you buy to create the layout?

cheers

Look at the first post ?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

That is neat.

cheers

Cheers, one BB017 & one BB021 extension. 

2 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Looks fantastic, excellent work and back scene blends in nicely.

Thanks!