Precursor Tank

Guest Lyonesse

Guest Lyonesse

I have a scratchbuilt OO 4-4-2 Precursor tank that I am planning to upgrade and convert to P4.  The Premier Line is not my strong suit but I have the Edward Talbot book of LNWR locomotives, that OPC published some time back.  That has some photographs, a weight diagram, and a fairly good modeller's drawing.  Does anybody else know of other good sources of information.

Thanks

Guest Lyonesse
9 minutes ago, Brassey said:

The Talbot book is the best source of information. London Road Models do a 4mm Precursor Tank chassis.  Alan Gibson have some castings.

Thanks for that.  I think I just need to build new frames and running gear.  The existing fittings on what is actually a fairly plain engine, are quite good.  I would like to be able to run it past a good drawing though.

Why not try the LNWR Society for a drawing. A quick look on their website under the drawing services tab (link below) shows that the drawings below the link might be suitable.  

http://lnwrs.org.uk/ArchiveDrawings.pdf

DLOCO292 LNWR 6ft Four Wheels Coupled Side Tank Engine. Precursor Tank. 21/05/1906. Copy. G

DLOCO467 LNWR 6ft Four Wheels Coupled Side Tank Engine. Precursor Tank. End elevations and cross sections. 31/03/1906. Reduced copy. G

DLOCO579 6ft 3in 4-4-2T Precursor End elevations and sections Drg No C16225A G

DLOCO580 6ft 3in 4-4-2T Precursor Side & End elevations Detail of boiler F

DLOCO622 LNWR 6ft 0in Four Wheels Coupled Side Tank Engine 4-4-2T Precursor Tank Plan Side Elevations & Sections. Dwg No LOCO139 with missing section added 21/5/1906. G

David

www.lnwrs.org.uk

Guest Lyonesse
On 06/03/2020 at 11:52, LNWR lives on said:

Why not try the LNWR Society for a drawing....

Excellent, thanks.  I will do that.

I've already cut the new frames out but if I get more information and find they're too far out I suppose I can always do it again.  I should really post some pictures too.

An interesting model.

Looks like AG milled brass frames with a Portescap, Romford diving wheels but "odd" bogie and truck wheels (early cast mazak Jackson?). The body looks good although the roof vent/hatch looks strange.

London Road Models both sell an etched kit and also sell the chassis separately. Ref CHAS 5

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/locos-tenders-chassis/lnwr/

Also GEM kits sell an etched chassis, I understand these were unavailable for a while but available again

High quality products from this company and all the research and hard work already done.

Must admit looks a lovely model and with a Portescap used no expense spared

Many with unbuilt GEM kits I guess would love the 00 chassis and pay handsomely for it

Edited by hayfield