Zimo MX600 - advice assigning functions for lighting as lights don't work as anticipated

MikeJT

I'm in the process of converting one of the original twin flywheel Bachmann Class 46's to dc. This is the version that doesn't have a dcc socket.

I've fitted a Zimo MX600 and the loco runs beautifully.

My next task was fitting lights - for this I'm using the "Express Models" DCC Head/Tail light pack.

The instructions state the following:

This unit is supplied with five input leads. These are :-

Blue - positive common

White - negative head lights (forward direction)

Green - negative tail lights (forward direction)

Yellow - negative head lights (reverse direction)

Violet - negative tail lights (reverse direction)

I've connected everything up from their lighting pcb "like for like" as instructed - the only exception being there isn't a violet wire on the mx600 but a brown wire instead. I've connected this brown wire to the violet wire on the lighting pcb.

Now to my problem - the lights don't work as expected...

What I'm getting is as follows:

With my NCE Power cab set to FORWARD:

F0 - marker lights on @ front (relative to direction of travel)

F1 - marker lights on @ rear (relative to direction of travel)

F2 - tail lights on @ front (relative to direction of travel)

unable to get tail lights @ rear to work.

With my NCE Power cab set to REVERSE:

F0 - tail lights on @ front (relative to direction of travel)

F1 - marker lights on @ front (relative to direction of travel)

F2 - tail lights on @ rear (relative to direction of travel)

unable to get marker lights @ rear to work.

This has me with my limited knowledge of such things completely stumped!

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get the lights working as they should?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Always a little uncertainty possible when descriptions refer to 'forward' or 'reverse' as these are relative terms. Easier to avoid confusion if you refer to No1 End and No2 End. (On a Class 46, the roof fan is at the No1 end).

So I've made assumptions based on your descriptions.........

To get independent control of marker and tail lights, but retaining direction dependency with the wiring connected as you detailed above, change the following CVs.

This will put the correct lights on at No1 end with F key 0 (depending on direction of travel and at No2 end with F key 1, also depending upon direction.

This will enable you to run 'light engine' (markers and tails illuminated at the correct ends by engaging both F keys 0 and 1) or haul a train with correct lamps illuminated only at the 'free end' of the loco by engaging only the F key relevant to that 'end'. (tail lamps should not be displayed when vehicles are being drawn, but should be if propelling).

(It's simpler to operate than it sounds, but gives the correct lighting combinations whilst retaining direction dependency)

CV33 = 0

CV34 = 0

CV35 = 0

CV36 = 0

CV430 = 29

CV432 = 14

CV434 = 2

CV436 = 1

CV438 = 1

CV440 = 15

Caveat. If I made the wrong call with the above, make CV434 = 1 and CV438 = 2 instead

Best regards,

Paul

PS, there are other solutions, depending upon what you wish to achieve and how many F keys you want to use for lighting control.

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Firstly thank you so much for taking time to provide such a comprehensive reply.

Modifying the cv's as you advise produces some interesting results. Whether this means there are crossed wires on the Express Models pcb I'm not sure (and can't see unfortunately).

Anyway, I've listed below what happens.

Option 1. ( cv434=2,  cv438=1)

F0 - marker lights @ No.2 end on.

F1 - marker lights @ No.1 end on.

This is with No. 2 and leading.

F0 - tail lights @ No.2 end on.

F1 - tail lights @ No.1 end on.

This is with No.1 end leading.

Option 2. (cv434=1, cv438=2)

F0 - marker lights @ No.2 end on.

F1 - tail lights @ No.2 end on.

This is with No.2 end leading.

Corresponding lights change to No.1 end with change of direction.

Is there any way to correct this?

It occurs to me I could simply switch the tail light wires over where they connect to the Express Models pcb if not.

Warm regards,

Mike

Mike,

As long as you have the two pairs of marker lamps and two pair of tail lamps separately powered we can map the F keys to give any desired effect. We've got that as each pair is separately controllable, albeit incorrectly at the moment. No need to rewire.

The first issue is to establish which Function Output is connected to which pair.

Rather than me guessing, can you tell me which colour wire operates which colour LEDs at which end of the loco, please? I'll then be able to give the correct CVs.

Best regards,

Paul

2 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Mike,

As long as you have the two pairs of marker lamps and two pair of tail lamps separately powered we can map the F keys to give any desired effect. We've got that as each pair is separately controllable, albeit incorrectly at the moment. No need to rewire.

The first issue is to establish which Function Output is connected to which pair.

Rather than me guessing, can you tell me which colour wire operates which colour LEDs at which end of the loco, please? I'll then be able to give the correct CVs.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Details as follows:

Green - marker lights No.1 end

White - marker lights No.2 end

Yellow - tail lights No.1 end

Brown - tail lights No.2 end

Cheers,

Mike

HI Mike,

That's great.

Here are the CVs to operate in the way I described yesterday. If you prefer a different arrangement, let me know and I'll give revised CVs.

CV430 = 29
CV432 = 1

CV434 = 15

CV436 = 1
CV438 = 2

CV440 = 14

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

HI Mike,

That's great.

Here are the CVs to operate in the way I described yesterday. If you prefer a different arrangement, let me know and I'll give revised CVs.

CV430 = 29
CV432 = 1

CV434 = 15

CV436 = 1
CV438 = 2

CV440 = 14

Best regards,

Paul

Worked a treat!

Thank you so much for your help.

The support you give to so many of us on the RMweb is simply amazing.

Thanks also for the link to your post about the Zimo Swiss Mapping - I found it very interesting and it's certainly something I'll be having a "play" with in future!

Warm regards,

Mike