Dapol working signal switching

An early criticism I read concerning the switching of these signals was that the signal changes with each momentary contact of the switch, meaning that the switch itself did not indicate whether the signal was "on" or "off." Reports of the new signals indicate that a latching SPDT switch might be used. Does this mean that the switch returns to a centre off position? And would switching to one side or the other determine the signal position? It would be nice if a passing contact lever switch could be used to operate these signals, but I am not sure if this is possible.

• RMweb Gold

The video review in the online Feb 2020 BRM shows a junction signal being tested.

It would appear that the switches are simply on/off.

Put into a control panel it would physically indicate up/danger, or down/clear.

Edited by Happy Hippo

I have six of the original Dapol working signals. I use DCC Concepts levers to work them as these have passing contact connections (as well as permanent connections for other applications). This means that the position of the lever normally shows the position of the signal. I say 'normally' because if you accidentally knock the lever it can operate the signal without the lever moving to the opposite position. The way round this is to try to avoid it happening, but if it does, then just touch it again to return the signal to its proper position.

Robert

One further point which I forgot in my earlier post. It is a good idea to get a variable voltage supply for these signals and run them on the lowest voltage that will make them work. I have read that they last much longer that way. I have obtained such plug-in power supplies for  about £6.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again. I now have two single signals and a junction. The single arm signals are supplied without a switch and a passing contact switch is specified, which of course means that the switch cannot reliably indicate the arm position. The junction signal, on the other hand, comes with SPDT switches where one position is Danger and the other is Clear. Perfect! I also note that these switches are permanently on in either position; whereas alternative switching can or should be passing contact.

I have just made one of the older releases of signal work by a reed switch (so passing contact) in the track so it is purely controlled by the trains as I wanted it to return to danger automatically. Yes it is not prototypical but I didn't want to have to switch it by DCC or push button every time a train went past.

Just thought I would comment on my effort.

Connor