Steel track/rail

Do any of the current manufacturers produce steel-railed track? I'm in need of 700mm of flatbottom rail, of anything up to code 100, but all I can find is nickel silver. It has to be steel as it is to go on top of a gantry crane and magnets are to be used to keep the travelling part of the crane in place.

Most of my Hornby system 6 track is steel. Take a magnet to your local model shop, they may well have some S/H steel track. If they don't do Second hand they aren't much of a model shop.  My local model shop does, Cheltenham Model Centre on of the big mail order suppliers.

3 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Most of my Hornby system 6 track is steel. Take a magnet to your local model shop, they may well have some S/H steel track.

Indeed, if you can get hold of an old system 6 long straight it will give you two pieces of 670mm rail (I'm assuming the 700mm requirement is a total that you'll be cutting down into 2 or more rails).

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, sharris said:

Indeed, if you can get hold of an old system 6 long straight it will give you two pieces of 670mm rail (I'm assuming the 700mm requirement is a total that you'll be cutting down into 2 or more rails).

Tri-ang used to do flexible track in System 6. Probably a 3ft length. Quite likely hard to find.

Peco streamline used to be available in steel. I bought a load of it for next to nothing. My intention was to replace the rail with nickel silver. Then I found out the price!

Toy fairs are a likely source of old track. Some is likely to be steel. Use the magnet trick or Just look for the rust!

Old Tri-ang track is steel, but well above code 100 (154 IIRC).