Standard 2 Tanks at 72A summer 1961

• RMweb Premium

By any chance does anyone know why 4 of these little beauties had about 3.5 months at Exmouth Junction in the summer if 61? Some ex staff from 72A on a Forum elsewhere  have denied ever seeing them! Iv'r checked on the BR dataset site but it may have been a paper transfer of course.

I'm sure I saw them whilst spotting as far as I can remember without digging out my books.

Thanks

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Yo Chris. Good to hear from you buddy. Wouldn't be surprised. If the 'staff' don't remember them, maybe they all went down that Cornwall place for a few months before going to another seaside at LLandudno?

Somewhere I've got a picture of one doing something somewhere down there but I CBA to search through all my ##### books.

P

I think you mean the four Standard 2  tanks, (the Standard 3 tanks were at 72A for some time).

Colin Maggs mentions them briefly in his book 'The Exeter and Exmouth Railway'.

I presume they were just extra locos for the summer period. Could they do anything that the 72A allocation of Ivatt tanks could not do?

cheers 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:82010_-_Exmouth_Junction_-_1962.jpg

Thought I had seen evidence of Class 3 - how about this one assuming caption is correct?

But OP has corrected now to ask for Class 2s

Edited by Phil Bullock
Factual content

• RMweb Gold

I thought that there were a number of these locos sent new to Exmouth Junction in 1954 and remained there for a number of years including 1961. See the allocation history here .

And here are some photos of the locos there and on the Exmouth branch.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p789585088/e716dbc6b

https://railphotoprints.uk/p789585088/ed5837ce2

https://railphotoprints.uk/p789585088/e46328fef

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

By any chance does anyone know why 4 of these little beauties had about 3.5 months at Exmouth Junction in the summer if 61? Some ex staff from 72A on a Forum elsewhere  have denied ever seeing them! Iv'r checked on the BR dataset site but it may have been a paper transfer of course.

I'm sure I saw them whilst spotting as far as I can remember without digging out my books.

Thanks

Theres a picture on Facebook showing 84022, and the caption claims it is at Exmouth Junction. According to the records, a set of 4 were at 72A for 4 weeks - I presume this is a rare picture of one of them. I think they may have been used on the Bude line, which might explain why none of the 72A staff can recall them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

They worked various services in North Cornwall during each summer 1960 - 1964 and almost certainly earlier, and notably the Bude branch. Don't forget that just about all the sheds in that area were subs of 72A.

17 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Wasn’t 84022 a Class 2 ? 

Yes it was.

I am guessing the thread title is wrong. The question must surely be about Standard 2 tanks.

Exmouth Junction 72A had a several Standard 3 tanks  allocated between at least 1957 and 1965, there are many photos of them on the Exmouth line, and elsewhere.

However in 1961 Standard 2 tanks 84020-23 spent a few months at 72A 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Rivercider said:

Yes it was.

I am guessing the thread title is wrong.

Exmouth Junction 72A had a several Standard 3 tanks r allocated between at least 1957 and 1965, there are many photos of them on the Exmouth line, and elsewhere.

However in 1961 Standard 2 tanks 84020-23 spent a few months at 72A 

cheers

82010-82013, 82017-82019 were sent new to 72A in 1952, while 82020-82025 went new to 72A in 1954.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnR said:

82010-82013, 82017-82019 were sent new to 72A in 1952, while 82020-82025 went new to 72A in 1954.

Thanks for the additional info.

My quickest source of reference was a 'BR Steam Shed Allocations' book, which covers 1957 to the end of steam.

cheers 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes my apologies,

6 hours ago, Rivercider said:

I think you mean the four Standard 2  tanks, (the Standard 3 tanks were at 72A for some time).

Colin Maggs mentions them briefly in his book 'The Exeter and Exmouth Railway'.

I presume they were just extra locos for the summer period. Could they do anything that the 72A allocation of Ivatt tanks could not do?

cheers 

it was Standard 2s I am really sorry about that.

I have no excuse other than my brain is really starting to go these days.

It was 84020/1/2/3 from may till September 61 according to BR database

Could have been a paper transfer I suppose?  Nope. Thanks Rivercider. 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yes my apologies,

it was Standard 2s I am really sorry about that.

I have no excuse other than my brain is really starting to go these days.

It was 84020/1/2/3 from may till September 61 according to BR database

Could have been a paper transfer I suppose?

See above, 84022 was on the Lyme Regis branch that summer, I have linked to the photo on Flickr

cheers

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Theres a picture on Facebook showing 84022, and the caption claims it is at Exmouth Junction. According to the records, a set of 4 were at 72A for 4 weeks - I presume this is a rare picture of one of them. I think they may have been used on the Bude line, which might explain why none of the 72A staff can recall them.

Yes, that's the one I think they are talking about John. personally I don't think thagt pic is at 72A but now we have the evidence of 22 at Combpyne I am more convinced.

11 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Thanks for the additional info.

My quickest source of reference was a 'BR Steam Shed Allocations' book, which covers 1957 to the end of steam.

cheers 

http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php    I use this matey. Brilliant

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Really appreciated this though, Phil - I never knew the Standard 2 tanks were on the Lyme Regis branch. 

Cheers John. I sort of had that fact in the back of my remaining brain cell. I think they used to work an Exeter Central Axminster 'commuter train' too in the evenings and maybe swapped the loco for the Lyme on that run?  That's my excuse for having one on my layout anyway.:rolleyes:

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK so this is probably boring but......I have spent quite some time this afternoon looking at Tank loco transfers in the 72A area around this time. Very interesting as I had personal experience of quite a few of them but wasn't really aware at the time (I was only a nipper then).

It remains for me to find the place where I have read about the use of the 84XXX on the Lyme Branch and I am sure I have a photo in one of my books. Which one though? Certainly in one of my West Country volumes. 

P

The four 84XXX type 2s transferred to Exmouth Junction in 1961 were all already Southern Region locos and were "freed up" by the interim Kent electrification stage in June that year. For some reason the Southern engine men much preferred the Ivatt type 2s on which the standard versions were based and this preference, which led to their priority ousting from the SED, seems to have transferred with them to Exmouth Junction (which already had plenty of experience with the Ivatts) as they were replaced by Ivatts there at the end of the summer timetable.

The 2-6-2Ts were needed at Exmouth Junction in 1961 as all three Adams radials (for the Lyme Regis branch) were withdrawn that year, the first early in the year, the other two in the summer (presumably once it had been established that 2-6-2Ts could work the branch satisfactorily in practice and not just theoretically).

There may have been some feature of the standard locos which in theory made them a better choice for the Lyme Regis branch than the Ivatts (and perhaps later made them a better theoretical choice for the IoW), but the Ivatts quickly won out, they were certainly very capable little locos.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, bécasse said:

There may have been some feature of the standard locos which in theory made them a better choice for the Lyme Regis branch than the Ivatts (and perhaps later made them a better theoretical choice for the IoW), but the Ivatts quickly won out, they were certainly very capable little locos.

The successful deployment of the 2MTs (both Ivatt and Standard) followed improvements to the track earlier in 1961 which then allowed the Adams Radials to be withdrawn. 

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, RFS said:

The successful deployment of the 2MTs (both Ivatt and Standard) followed improvements to the track earlier in 1961 which then allowed the Adams Radials to be withdrawn. 

The work on the Lyme Regis branch was done in the winter of 1959 (I believe November), and the first trials were done with 41297 trialled on 18th September 1960 and 41308 on 13th November 1960.