Test track wiring help

Monkeyhead

Hi there, hoping someone might be able to help me out with a bit of a project I'm planning.  I want to build a bit of a one board test/programming track, with a DC controller, a DCC/Programming controller and two tracks, one 009 and one 00.  What I'd like to be able to do is switch between the inputs and then the track.  So test a dc 009 loco, then programme a 00 loco.

I've done a rough diagram which I *think* works, but I'm struggling with the switch between the controllers.  What sort is it?  A 3PST one?  That doesn't seem right to me.  Can anyone give me any advice, or see any improvement/problems?

Thanks, Matt

project draft.jpg

IMG_20200302_151956%5B1%5D.jpg.c9aee6b825cbec173decd396b2a043e8.jpgI'm not sure I'm missing something here, since I don't understand why you have four outputs from your DCC controller. Is one for the programming track and one for operation? If so I would use a DPDT switch to change between program and operation outputs from the DCC controller and then I would use two DPDT centre off switches. the switch (centre) terminals of one connected to the OO line and the other connected to the OO9. One set of the 'outer' terminals of each switch to go  to the DC controller and the other set to go to the DCC controller program/operation switch.

One very rough diagram attached

Edited by grriff
Diagram inserted

I have to admit that I don't understand that diagram at all - there are red and black wires going to the same places and it would appear that the DC and DCC are connected together which is a very bad idea, but as I cant really make sense of the diagram that supposition could well be wrong.

Hi,

You can't connect the 'black' wires together as shown. You can't have 'common return' between a DC controller and a DCC one.

As Griff say use one Double Pole Double Throw switch to swicth between DC and DCC and then use a second to switch between 'Main' & 'Programming' outputs on you DCC controller.

BTW some DCC controllers (e.g. Z21) allow you to run a loco on the programming track for testing as well as programming.

Regards,

John P

• Agree 1

Hi, thanks for the replies - sorry my diagram wasn't very clear.  Yes, there are 2 outputs from my DCC controller, 1 for running, 1 for programming.  I'd wondered whether I'd got the black wires completely wrong, but my hypothesis was that they could all be connected up together if the reds were controlled by the switches.  Glad I checked before starting!! Thank you for your collective assistance.  I shall study the diagram above carefully!

Edited by Monkeyhead
Changed 4 to 2

• RMweb Gold

Will you be wanting to use your controllers elsewhere?

If so, it might be easier to make the test board/programming track a self contained unit with a pair of 4mm banana plug sockets or a 'chocolate block' type terminal on it.  Then you could make up a set of leads with banana plugs on or just plain wires and connect each controller or part of the dcc controller as required.  

Use a two pole rotary.   The six way two pole usually comes with a peg to restrict the travel so it can be used as 2 pole 3 way or 4 way if you want an off position.  Never connect the outputs of "A DC Controller" to the outputs of any other DC or DCC controller without understanding how they work. Some, Morleys and On track to my knowledge have no "Off" position which causes problems

Screenshot (210)a.png

Okay, I'd buy three Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) switches preferably with centre off positions and these would be labelled:

Switch 1 - '00 - 009';

Switch 2 - 'DC - DCC'; and

Switch 3 - 'Programming - Main'

Two track feeds from your 00 track to the left of switch 1 and two track feeds from your 009 track to the right side of switch 1.  The centre terminals on switch 1 would then be connected to the centre terminals on switch 2.  The left terminals on switch 2 would be connected to your DC controller.  The right terminals on switch 2 would be connected to the centre terminals on switch 3.  The left terminals on switch 3 would be connected to the programming output from your DCC Command Station and the right terminals on switch 3 would be connected to the main output from your DCC Command Station.

• RMweb Gold

Would it be necessary for switch 1?  The tracks could be wired from switch 2 in parallel although you wouldn’t be able to leave a loco on one when testing on the other.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Would it be necessary for switch 1?  The tracks could be wired from switch 2 in parallel although you wouldn’t be able to leave a loco on one when testing on the other.

On DCC it wouldn't be necessary of course, but may be advantageous for DC.

I would use a switch DPDT, to switch DCC controller or programming. Take the output of that to a 2nd switch DPDT centre off to select the DCC or DC outputs.

Then separate on/off switches for OO & OO9, so a loco can be isolated on DC. It can also isolate the DCC, but as I stated earlier it isn't strictly required, but the switch is already there.

3 hours ago, BoD said:

I'd only provide switch 1 for that very reason - ie a DC 009 locomotive could be left on the track when a DCC locomotive was being tested on the 00 track.  However, you could replace that switch with simply lifting stock off and on each track and leave them both live and controlled from the same source at the same time if that is what would be preferred.  However, switches are not that expensive.

I think the only essential is to use Double Pole switches to keep the DC and DCC controllers completely separate and also to keep the Programming and Main outputs from the DCC Command Station completely separate - ie no common return between any of the controller outputs. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hey all, thank you for your continued input.  I've tried to follow it (like the idea about the banana plugs) and have revised my drawing based on some of the thoughts above.  It seems to make more sense to me, how does it seem to you?

project draft.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Here is a neater version of Grriff's drawing 

With your latest version you are limited to only one track powered at any time( this can be both an advantage & a disadvantage)

Grriff's version gives more flexibility

You can program/run DCC on one track while running DC on the other track

I would use DPDT centre off switches for the DC/DCC selector switches so that you can have either or both tracks off

542458066_dccdc.jpg.3d527062a59e868304bb216a9f3bfc9b.jpg

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just an update on this thread, over the weekend I finally managed to "finish" my test track, guided be the discussion above.  Things I changed:

I decided that I could forgo the second track, as I didn't really have room on my bit of board, and I'm not yet at the stage of modelling 009 anyway.

However, I did like the idea of future flexibility, so wired in a set of banana plug sockets as an AUX, which should allow me to wire in a different gauge in the future if needed.

The track set up isn't very clear from the picture, but it's basically a length of track with DCC Concepts rolling roads on, 3 either side of a central screw, held down with a length of thin aluminium.  I wanted to use perspex, but couldn't find a way of cutting a piece accurately enough.  The aluminium is well clear of the rolling road so hopefully no shorts.  I can loosen the screws to then move the rolling road pieces around for different wheel configs.

Need to do some labels for the switch box, and then it's just about complete.

It's not the neatest piece of work ever, and I doubt I'll ever find a job as a carpenter, but to say I had no idea how to do it in March when I started, I'm quite pleased with myself.  Thank you to all the people who contributed to the thread and helped me work it out.

test_track.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1