Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Premium

That’s a very attractive price when compared to newly tooled tender engines from the likes of Hornby and Bachmann. I hope it doesn’t mean a lower spec. to come in at that price. I will have seen Manors as a child on the daily WR loco diagram Reading-Redhill-Reading, so might well succumb if the model is a good’un.

11 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

That’s a very attractive price when compared to newly tooled tender engines from the likes of Hornby and Bachmann. I hope it doesn’t mean a lower spec. to come in at that price.

The price matches Hattons current price for the Mogul, on an assumption that the Manor is still 18 to 24 months away I would expect that price to go up if it is correct.

7805 in post-war unlined green, with its original fat chimney, small-boss Churchward drivers (from Mogul 8301) and the hangers on its Churchward 3500g tender fitted with strengthening flange plates.

7805.jpg.bdb95e2da37d644af5d1cedae0406586.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
image re-instated
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Along with 7805 and 7828, one of the first Manors to be lined was 7801, because the tender it ran with (a Churchward 3500g with a late-Collett wide-hornblock replacement underframe) had its fender lined, so this picture predates the general lining implementation beginning in early 1957. It is possible the tender has been released from one of the 'Royal' Moguls (6372 and 6385) after May 1956. The early crest is small - there isn't room on a lined Churchward 3500g body panel for a large version.)

7801-tender-cropped.jpg.d10b732c3463ecae85289a8a99ff3780.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
image re-instated
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I’ll be first to say the pricing looks predatory....

£135 for DCC ready....

That might turn away competitive threat, as well as doing their own sales no harm.

7819 in BR lined black... exactly as I remember it on the Cambrian in the late 1980’s.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to disappoint, but Johnster won’t be going into meltdown.  I’m not surprised that Dapol are going to use the mech they are developing for their mogul and large prairie to take a shot at what must be the largest and longest standing open goals in the world of GW RTR, and wish them luck for what will undoubtedly be a huge success unless they seriously mess it up (and there’s no reason to think they’ll do that).  I’ll follow proceedings with due interest of course, but there is no way that a Manor can feature on Cwmdimbath no matter how much I mangle my interpretation of Rule 1. 

At least this announcement will focus the attention of Manor wishlisters.  It will be interesting to see how long delivery takes following this. 

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, philip-griffiths said:

Depends which valley.  They were cleared for the VoN.  

And 2 were allox to Neath Court Sart shed in the early 60s. The Pontypool-Neath route was more like a secondary through main line than a  alleys branch, and tender locos were not uncommon; 26xx Aberdare, Moguls, Manors, 28xx and ROD 2-8-0s, and Stanier 8Fs and Riddles Austerities towards the end of the route’s life.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Compensated chassis as well; if the loco can be brought in at the quoted £135 or an increase compatible with general rises over the period, this is very good value indeed!  Is this to feature on the prairie and mogul, I wonder?

6 hours ago, john dew said:

Excellent news.

But is Crompton Manor correct or a typo?

Wikipedia and GWR.org show Compton Manor.

It's number 33 and available in BR green, BR blue, NSE toothpaste and CE grey/yellow.

;)

As for Manors. I'm definitely in the wait and see category I'm afraid. I already have enough of them so no hurry. I blame Mainline for making so many locomotives from the Cambrian when I was at an impressionable age....

Funny that the photo is of Foxy at Deeside, yet that's not been announced.

Jason

• Funny 4

Great News ....the most exciting bit of 00 for quite  a while ....I had an inkling which will be replaced by one of these, maybe two.....rode over Talerdigg behind 7812 Erlestoke Manor on the Cambrian Coast Express in the last year of the Manor....it was a great memory for a fledgling train spotter..... the moguls look fantastic and these will be too.....all we need now is a 2251....anyone listening!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

That’s a very attractive price when compared to newly tooled tender engines from the likes of Hornby and Bachmann. I hope it doesn’t mean a lower spec. to come in at that price. I will have seen Manors as a child on the daily WR loco diagram Reading-Redhill-Reading, so might well succumb if the model is a good’un.

Hi,

The announcement says they were lightweight 4-6-0s but were they light enough for Reading-Redhill?. I only ask as I model Reading to Tonbridge and I like to get models of locos that ran on the line.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NIK said:

Hi,

The announcement says they were lightweight 4-6-0s but were they light enough for Reading-Redhill?. I only ask as I model Reading to Tonbridge and I like to get models of locos that ran on the line.

Regards

Nick

Here you go

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2510407

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

I knew that I had seen a pic of a Manor on Redhill - Reading but could not remember where.

1 hour ago, NIK said:

Hi,

Regards

Nick

Any particular station? It's an attractive line and I am surprised that it has not had more attention from modellers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NIK said:

Hi,

Regards

Nick

Some more pictures of Manors on Reading - Redhill for those of you interested:-

7813 Freshford Manor at Betchworth : https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/e315d4fc1

7817 Garsington Manor at Guildford https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/ebdb01d85

7829 Ramsbury Manor at Dorking https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/ede6e07dc

• RMweb Premium

OK  so we need to see what the mogul looks like before getting hyper excited, but given the quality of their diesels , the 68 and most recently 21/29 Dapol are emerging as an excellent manufacturer in OO.  Well done them . I will take the price with a pinch of salt . It appears Hattons may have jumped the gun here, so may well have got the price wrong too (they have form on creating prices when not yet known). So lets wait see . But it is also true that Dapol do seem to deliver value for money . 

Great news .  Risky as Hornby may be working on one , and Bachmann may yet surprise in their three monthly announcements - but that would be a very big surprise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

Regards

Nick

Freshford, Frilsham and Cookham were regulars on Reading- Redhill workings.

Torquay was seen once on the Margate- Wolverhampton as was Ramsbury.

All seen at Guildford over several years.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I will have seen Manors as a child on the daily WR loco diagram Reading-Redhill-Reading, so might well succumb if the model is a good’un.

Moi aussi! Classrooms on the south side of the school had a good view of trains climbing from Deepdene to Dorking Town, and the daily Manor was always a high-spot! I don't suppose Sherry noticed....

• Like 2
  • Funny 3