Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, philip-griffiths said:

Depends which valley.  They were cleared for the VoN.  

Common Branch Junction. I know it was red route; there are lots of photos of 42xx's working up to Cwm, and 56xx's worked over the entire branch, from Llantrisant up to Pontypridd-Merthyr, and All of the Rhondda & Dare valleys. My sticking point would be large tender locomotives like a Manor on the Llantrisant branches.

Ian.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, mdvle said:

Can't see a need for a rushed announcement - Hornby are still 10 months away from their next, Bachmann at least 2 months

Strange announcement - nothing on Dapol's Facebook page, no other retailers have it listed, doesn't appear to be a Hatton's exclusive though.  Have Hatton's announced early?  Or just quicker to get it listed?

Hattons always has the need to get ahead of the game ( expressed diplomatically)  I wonder how Dapol themselves view this  ? Not the first time someone has spilled the beans in advance though......and there’s nearly a month to go before April  1st. News not unexpected. And very welcome.My memory of them goes back to 1953 and a return holiday journey to Cornwall .They were piloting over the South Devon banks. Next up were the pair 7828/7829 Odney and Ramsbury which were trialled on the Vale Of  Neath line.Remember a journey c.1954 ? between Aberdare HL and Neath behind one of them.Later Tyseley’s 7818 on a fitted freight waiting for the road to at the Gadlys to ascend the Gelli Tarw .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I knew that I had seen a pic of a Manor on Redhill - Reading but could not remember where.

Any particular station? It's an attractive line and I am surprised that it has not had more attention from modellers.

Hi,

I was thinking of modelling Reigate because of the third rail spur from Redhill and the sidings.

There was a model of Redhill station in one of the mags recently but the platforms had been reduced to 8 coaches and the junction lines didn't diverge as much as the real thing.

I'd been hoping for a 43XX mogul until it was announced but now I can add a Manor to my wish list.

Regards

Nick

I have still got my Bachmann 'Foxcote Manor' .  It did visit the Swanage Railway that I am modelling on a special. As Dapol are not making 'Foxcote Manor' I will not be buying a Dapol Manor as I have got nowhere to store it.

If Dapol make 'Foxcote Manor' in the future I would trade in my Bachmann model at Hattons. I am finding it impossible to sell my model railways and Hattons do reasonable trade in deals.

It will be interesting to compare the two in a review.

P1090759.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Compensated chassis as well;

I wouldn't put too much implication on the adjective. The Mogul was initially described as having 'sprung' front and centre drivers (presumably a saddle spring a la Bachmann), but we have yet to see what is actually incorporated in the Mogul chassis.

In the meantime, it would help if Dapol stopped calling the Manor's bogie a pony truck...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Summary of tenders used with Manors:

- Churchward 3500g (this is the predominant type, but there were underframe mods and Collett underframe replacements)
- Collett 3500g (7812 and 7814 finished their BR days with these tenders)
- Collett 3500g 'intermediate' (7803, 7806, 7807, 7811, 7812, 7813, 7824 and 7828 using them at various times)
- Dean 4000g (7804, 7810 and 7822 at various times)
- Collett 4000g (7808, probably using 4000g only because water cranes were fast disappearing by then).  (7824 was seen outside the works with a 4000g, but whether it entered service with that tender is unknown.)

I expect Dapol will use the one behind their Mogul. (A vanilla Churchward 3500g)

Edited by Miss Prism
url for 7814 inserted, caveat on 7824 using a 4000g tender
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Excellent news!  Well done Dapol!  Competitively priced and top of the 'wish list' for a while now so providing the level of detail is there and it runs well, this should be a winner for Dapol! I'll definately be in for Lydham Manor to go with my 3 Bachmann versions!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I have still got my Bachmann 'Foxcote Manor' .  It did visit the Swanage Railway that I am modelling on a special. As Dapol are not making 'Foxcote Manor' I will not be buying a Dapol Manor as I have got nowhere to store it.

If Dapol make 'Foxcote Manor' in the future I would trade in my Bachmann model at Hattons. I am finding it impossible to sell my model railways and Hattons do reasonable trade in deals.

It will be interesting to compare the two in a review.

P1090759.JPG

I’d say that comparison will show the new Dap to be be a big improvement on the Mainline-derived Bachmann.  This was a good model in it’s day, but the body tooling features an oversized and somewhat deformed firebox, necessary to accommodate the original rather weak Mainline ‘pancake’ motor; the Mainline-derived Mogul and 2251 suffered similar indignities.  The Bachmann revised mech is an improvement, but the model is still prone to the ills associated with the split chassis. 

If it were me, I’d be looking to replace your Mainline Foxy with the Dapol as soon as it hits the shelves, and fitting replacement etched brass name and number plates for Foxcote Manor. 

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I’d say that comparison will show the new Dap to be be a big improvement on the Mainline-derived Bachmann.  This was a good model in it’s day, but the body tooling features an oversized and somewhat deformed firebox, necessary to accommodate the original rather weak Mainline ‘pancake’ motor; the Mainline-derived Mogul and 2251 suffered similar indignities.  The Bachmann revised mech is an improvement, but the model is still prone to the ills associated with the split chassis. 

If it were me, I’d be looking to replace your Mainline Foxy with the Dapol as soon as it hits the shelves, and fitting replacement etched brass name and number plates for Foxcote Manor. 

Nothing easier to rename and number than a BR livery ex GWR loco :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ryde-on-time said:

Wrong in what way? If you take the normal initial 15% discount off Dapols price then the Hattons prices are correct

More than happy to be proved wrong. If Dapol can deliver this spec at this price I wont be complaining at all - indeed Dapol seem to have taken on the mantle of 'reasonably priced quality models for the masses' :)

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

The announcement says they were lightweight 4-6-0s but were they light enough for Reading-Redhill?. I only ask as I model Reading to Tonbridge and I like to get models of locos that ran on the line.

Regards

Nick

There was one out and back turn daily for a WR loco, something like 06.45 Reading to Redhill and then 11.35 Redhill to Reading. This was to maintain WR crews route knowledge. Moguls were the most common type for many years, with Manors appearing later, and then Hymeks after the end of WR steam. Class 31s started to appear on the line once OC received an allocation but not as far as I know on passenger turns, just parcels.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Might be Hattons who got it wrong?  But equally it could suggest that Dapol are at a very early stage and have rushed out their announcement for whatever reason?

Additional thoughts suggest a need to revise my earlier response - while it is true that the likely competitors are nowhere near an announcement, it may well be rumours that start of work - whether it be CAD or perhaps even consideration of cutting of tooling - by a competitor for an announcement in the future persuaded Dapol to make an announcement now (this being brought on by the observation elsewhere that there aren't even any CAD drawings to go with this announcement).  So perhaps an attempt to avoid duplication?

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, mdvle said:

Can't see a need for a rushed announcement - Hornby are still 10 months away from their next, Bachmann at least 2 months

If this is an early warning to other makes that Dapol intend to do one and Hornby already have one in the works, Hornby could be well advanced and no one will find out about it until next year. Hornby panicked getting the King announced after DJM/Hattons revealed theirs. They then found it did not stop anyone else in their program and now hold their cards close to their chest (Terrier and class 91 are recent examples).

6 hours ago, truffy said:

And the catalogue includes sound-fitted options... ... ... ...:o!

I "think" Dapol said previously that sound fitted locos are now only directly available from themselves due to the costs involved in not having any viable margin - for themselves - when sold through retailers.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 7007GreatWestern said:

Some more pictures of Manors on Reading - Redhill for those of you interested:-

7813 Freshford Manor at Betchworth : https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/e315d4fc1

7817 Garsington Manor at Guildford https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/ebdb01d85

7829 Ramsbury Manor at Dorking https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p682368180/ede6e07dc

Not surprising really - they spent quite a bit of their last years working the WR crewed Reading - Redhill services after they were transferred back off the Cambrian and replaced 43XX at Reading.  So they covered the Reading Up Pilot plus Redhills so you could regularly seen them assisting semi-failed diesels (boiler failed) between Reading and Paddington.

• Thanks 1