Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Summary of tenders used with Manors:

- Churchward 3500g (this is the predominant type, but there were underframe mods and Collett underframe replacements)
- Collett 3500g (7812 and 7814 finished their BR days with these tenders)
- Collett 3500g 'intermediate' (7803, 7806, 7807, 7811, 7813, 7824 and 7828 using them at various times)
- Dean 4000g (7804, 7810 and 7822 at various times)
- Collett 4000g (7808, in its last 1965 railtour days, and using a 4000g only because water cranes were fast disappearing by then).

I expect Dapol will use the one behind their Mogul. (A vanilla Churchward 3500g)

7808 didn't have a 4,000 gallon tender on all its late railtour jobs - I have a photo of it with a 3,500 gallon tender on a railtour at Reading.

8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Is Hornby the only company which makes loco models?

No, and I also mentioned Bachmann.

But those are the 2 that "conventional RMweb" wisdom have as possibilities for a Manor beyond Dapol, and also conveniently the only other 2 makers of a line of OO steam.

Heljan could also be a possibility, and do announce at various times, but also seem to be juggling a bunch of new products at the moment as they seem to have increased production so they may be closer to a limit for their UK production until some of those items get delivered.

Accurascale (so far) hasn't shown any interest in steam, and GWR seems to be outside of their area of interest (at least based on what they have announced/produced so far).

Can't see a crowd funder attempting a Manor, even before this announcement - a Manor is too mainstream and thus too much danger of being cut off with a subsequent announcement by a regular model as we have seen too often in the last 5 or so years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Summary of tenders used with Manors:

- Collett 3500g 'intermediate' (7803, 7806, 7807, 7811, 7813, 7824 and 7828 using them at various times)

Collet 3500g intermediate? Should that not be Churchward 3500g intermediate? They were basically a high sided Churchward tender after all. 

Justin

Edited by jjnewitt
can't spel

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Additional thoughts suggest a need to revise my earlier response - while it is true that the likely competitors are nowhere near an announcement, it may well be rumours that start of work - whether it be CAD or perhaps even consideration of cutting of tooling - by a competitor for an announcement in the future persuaded Dapol to make an announcement now (this being brought on by the observation elsewhere that there aren't even any CAD drawings to go with this announcement).  So perhaps an attempt to avoid duplication?

Or simply to get in first so to speak.  First to announce gets a lot of interest and maybe even pre-orders which the second to announce then doesn't get.  But then maybe if there is another one underway - and Chinese factories can be notoriously 'leaky' when chatting with their mates as a number of us have discovered in the past - we don't know who is involved or how far advanced it is, or isn't.  Perhaps we live in interesting times and next year we'll see half a dozen new 'Manors'  (a slight exaggeration perhaps but you know what I mean I'm sure).

And if there's more than one, or two, it will no doubt come down to which one we think is the best when we part with the pile of dusty, j hopefully still legal tender) notes that have lived under the bed waiting for just such an event.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, jjnewitt said:

Collet 3500g intermediate? Should that not be Churchward 3500g intermediate? They were basically a high sided Churchward tender after all. 

I called them 'Collett' because they were outshopped in 1925. Maybe best to just call them 'intermediate'.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

7808 didn't have a 4,000 gallon tender on all its late railtour jobs - I have a photo of it with a 3,500 gallon tender on a railtour at Reading.

Thanks, Mike.

I tracked down the 4000g pic on 7808:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/8165410688

Not sure why I had 'railtour' going on in my head, so forget that bit, my point was simply that a Manor did run with a Collett 4000g.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Or simply to get in first so to speak.  First to announce gets a lot of interest and maybe even pre-orders which the second to announce then doesn't get.  But then maybe if there is another one underway - and Chinese factories can be notoriously 'leaky' when chatting with their mates as a number of us have discovered in the past - we don't know who is involved or how far advanced it is, or isn't.  Perhaps we live in interesting times and next year we'll see half a dozen new 'Manors'  (a slight exaggeration perhaps but you know what I mean I'm sure).

And if there's more than one, or two, it will no doubt come down to which one we think is the best when we part with the pile of dusty, j hopefully still legal tender) notes that have lived under the bed waiting for just such an event.

More than two? Crikey!

This could be an even bigger bunfight than with the Class 66s, the Terriers or the Large Prairies!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm

Don't forget the cost angle / This is very reasonably priced . I almost cant believe I've said that  but with Bachmann class C approaching £200, the 812 through Rails £200 and the V2 £225  then even if Bachmann were to have been working on one secretly the costing may well rule it out .   Hornby are a bit more moderate but I think the 2MT is around £175 ish, so probably a touch more expensive.

Cost could well be a significant factor here . Announce first at low cost .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks, Mike.

I tracked down the 4000g pic on 7808:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/8165410688

Not sure why I had 'railtour' going on in my head, so forget that bit, my point was simply that a Manor did run with a Collett 4000g.

I'll have to try and delve out my photo of it to check the date.  I vaguely recall seeing a published photo in a book of one with a 4,000 gallon tender at Cardiff Newtown or thereabouts.

Ah, found it - my photo of it is dated June 1964 so the previous year althoughit is on a railtour - should be on this page if you scroll down 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66924-the-stationmaster-goes-train-spotting-part-1/page/3/

Edited by The Stationmaster

1 hour ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Dapol are also doing 7820 Dinmore Manor via their site or via email to the GWSR to celebrate that railway's 70th anniversary of opening for preservation.

Here is my part finished version of Dinmore Manor. It will be in plain BR Black. I need to find the correct chimney from somewhere.

Mark Humphrys

5D1B9110-6040-4C90-8387-3D1BE30D85A9.jpeg

572FA364-5126-49C9-B035-D84768762949.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

7808 worked one of, if not the, last up steam hauled freights from Long Dyke yard (other side of the SWML from Newtown) in October ‘65, over a month after steam had supposedly finished beyond Severn Tunnel Jc, and as photographed leaving the yard, sans nameplates and with 4k gallon Collett tender.  Can’t recall the working now but it was an evening departure and the loco worked to Gloucester, having worked down from there earlier in the day.  Buffers and smokebox hinges picked out in silver or white, not sure which after this time, after railtour duty.  I had been at East Dock where the loco had taken water in the late afternoon and saw it leave what remained of the shed.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mark said:

Here is my part finished version of Dinmore Manor. It will be in plain BR Black. I need to find the correct chimney from somewhere.

Mark Humphrys

5D1B9110-6040-4C90-8387-3D1BE30D85A9.jpeg

572FA364-5126-49C9-B035-D84768762949.jpeg

Hi Mark, 

Nice work. 

Try PDK for a BR pattern chimney. Excellent quality and brilliant service. Here's the link:

www.pdkmodels.co.uk

On the home screen look under kit parts which is highlighted. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I'll see your bid, and raise you Branches Fork, and the pwllyrhebog incline.

See you and raise you the Vinegar Branch

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Hi Mark, 

Nice work. 

Try PDK for a BR pattern chimney. Excellent quality and brilliant service. Here's the link:

www.pdkmodels.co.uk

On the home screen look under kit parts which is highlighted. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers, 

Mark

Thanks. I will give that a go.

Mark Humphrys

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Is there anywhere on the GW/WR Manors did not work? 

Taunton-Barnstaple. And the Exe Valley - although 7801 and 7806 apparently took the Royal Train from Exeter to Thorverton, for overnight stabling, in July 1952.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Quite a few branchlines no doubt.  However if you scroll down on the page linked below you will find several of my photos of one - 7808 yet again! - shunting its ECS train at an ex-GWR branch terminus -

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66922-the-stationmaster-says-goodbye-to-steam-at-henley-on-thames/

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

As 'Blue' weight restricted locos they were barred from Routes that were classified as 'Yellow' or 'Uncoloured'. Yellow and Uncoloured routes made up 18% and 13% of the GWR's network respectively so that's nearly a third of the system off limits to them!

In addition there were some route-specific restrictions. For example, they were not authorised to work Norton Fitzwarren to Barnstaple even though the line was clear for other 'Blue' classified locos.

In practise the 'Manors' tended to be clustered in certain areas where there was work that could take best advantage of them. Before the war some were allocated to Banbury to work the 'Ports to Ports' Newcastle to Swansea inter-regional trains. From 1943 onwards they began to be allocated to the Cambrian Section, becoming that first 4-6-0s to work that extensive section of railway. In the 1950s several were allocated to the South West as pilot locos. They were according to the renown authority on all things Great Western, Bill Peto, always something of a rarity in the London area despite two having been briefly allocated to Old Oak Common 'from new'.

Another notable outpost for the Manors was West Wales, were they worked the Carmarthen - Pembroke Dock leg of the 'Pembroke Coast Express' as will as the very rural Carmarthen - Aberystwyth line.

Other Manor 'niches' included the Redhill line discussed earlier in the thread and the M&SWJR route from Cheltenham to Southampton.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

See you and raise you the Vinegar Branch

I'll call your Vinegar Branch, Phil, and see you with Brandy Bridge (Merthyr) to Merthyr.

I think you've make me think a bit, mind you!

• Like 2