Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

On 29/07/2021 at 20:16, 57xx said:

It's a splash plate to stop oil getting on the wheels. I'm sure someone has posted about this earlier in the thread with prototype pics

Here

Not the same shape as the splash plates intended to stop oil getting on to the brake blocks where the blocks were in front of the drivers, e.g. the large Prairies (unlike the 2-cylinder 4-6-0s).

Here's Erlestokes:

erlestoke-slidebar.png.90369c0e617168e84ab315cd04e5e5ae.png

Edited by Miss Prism
image re-instated
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

For interest, here's Foxcote Manor close up on a blustery day last year. You can see the splash plate again and hear the spitting and pinging valves that are a feature of the Dapol sound project.

Correction: I see this sound project has a separate Brake Whistle (F18). Excellent! We need this to be standard on all GWR loco sound projects.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Harlequin said:

For interest, here's Foxcote Manor close up on a blustery day last year. You can see the splash plate again and hear the spitting and pinging valves that are a feature of the Dapol sound project.

Correction: I see this sound project has a separate Brake Whistle (F18). Excellent! We need this to be standard on all GWR loco sound projects.

The 'spitting and pinging valves' are not valves but the vacuum pump which is a bit on the noisy side (?lubrication).  The vacuum pump is normally most noticeable when the regulator is closed on the over-run but it is can also be sometimes when the exhaust is quiet as on this example.  Listen to lots of recordings of Western engines working and it usually won't be heard because of the exhaust and other noises.

As ever I'm a bit under impressed by the sounds on this 'Manor' but it is very difficult to get the speakers right for steam engine sound in a 4mm scale model.  The injector sound was more like an ejector than an injector because there was no sound of water puck=up or indeed any sound at all connected with the water moving.  On the other hand the ejector sound was pretty good.  The cylinder draincock sound was very weak - hardly like thh real thing on an engine starting away and it didn't keep going with the exhaust note which in many cases it would.  The whistle - as already noted - didn't get that shrillness that seemed to be common with 'Manor's but that could well be down to the speakers.

On the plus side the exhaust synchronisation looked to be pretty good at all speeds but - as ever with steam sound in this scale there was no effect from alterations of the cut-off and no drifting effect  but I'm sure it would need some pretty sophisticated techniques (and a suitable controller to realistically capture that sort of thing).  Alas nobody in the UK yet seem to have managed to do steam sound properly on a model.

Listen to some of these -

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/soundsgwr.htm

Or at about 11.50 onwatds on this one where the engines go right past the recorder and the vacuum pump can't be heard at all -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/time-out--the-four-steamers/zbwhwty

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The 'spitting and pinging valves' are not valves but the vacuum pump which is a bit on the noisy side (?lubrication).  The vacuum pump is normally most noticeable when the regulator is closed on the over-run but it is can also be sometimes when the exhaust is quiet as on this example.  Listen to lots of recordings of Western engines working and it usually won't be heard because of the exhaust and other noises.

Not cylinder valves but valves in the vacuum pump?

22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

As ever I'm a bit under impressed by the sounds on this 'Manor' but it is very difficult to get the speakers right for steam engine sound in a 4mm scale model.  The injector sound was more like an ejector than an injector because there was no sound of water puck=up or indeed any sound at all connected with the water moving.  On the other hand the ejector sound was pretty good.  The cylinder draincock sound was very weak - hardly like thh real thing on an engine starting away and it didn't keep going with the exhaust note which in many cases it would.  The whistle - as already noted - didn't get that shrillness that seemed to be common with 'Manor's but that could well be down to the speakers.

On the plus side the exhaust synchronisation looked to be pretty good at all speeds but - as ever with steam sound in this scale there was no effect from alterations of the cut-off and no drifting effect  but I'm sure it would need some pretty sophisticated techniques (and a suitable controller to realistically capture that sort of thing).  Alas nobody in the UK yet seem to have managed to do steam sound properly on a model.

Listen to some of these -

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/soundsgwr.htm

Or at about 11.50 onwatds on this one where the engines go right past the recorder and the vacuum pump can't be heard at all -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/time-out--the-four-steamers/zbwhwty

Model steam sound is still a developing artform. At the moment it is limited by the sound reproduction of the speakers and the sound path out of the body. I try to address both when I'm installing sound and I'm sure there are ways to improve the basic technology.

Note that Accurascale have said they will do something radical with the sound in their Manor...

Edit: One sound that the speakers we currently use really ought to be able to reproduce is a shrill whistle!

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe but i suspect the oil level in the pump might have been a bit low as they tend to get noisier if that is the case.

Unless the rings have gone, in which case there is no reassuring tick. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TerryBewdley said:

Will sound versions of the Manors be available from local model shops or only direct from Dapol?

Rails doesn’t list sound fitted versions, so my guess is that they will only be available from Dapol. Dapol isn’t quoting a price yet but has previously charged £125 more for sound fitted. That will come on top of an undiscounted price, so is likely to be an expensive choice.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, TerryBewdley said:

Will sound versions of the Manors be available from local model shops or only direct from Dapol?

As per my reply to you on 7 July.  Does not look like it.  My local model shop is not expecting to stock sound fitted versions, plus the major box shifters are not advertising them for pre-order  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, B15nac said:

Wonder if these will be available before Christmas? Can't wait for them.

Regards Neil

Hopefully yes that will be the case.

However, the Prairie tank, which was announced long before the Manor isn't due until next month.

Fingers crossed for a nice Pre-Christmas surprise!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Dapol's Neil Morrlle reckons 'hopefully early next year' for the Manor.

id imagine he wants them delivered before the Accurascale one appears which I think maybe summer 22 

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I think it'll be a case of getting what you pay for here.

Quite possibly and there's not that much in it with regards to RRP or discounted prices.

Personally, I've ordered late BR versions in the form of the Accurascale Erlestoke Manor and Dapol Lydford Manor. I'm very much looking forward to receiving both.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Quite possibly and there's not that much in it with regards to RRP or discounted prices.

Personally, I've ordered late BR versions in the form of the Accurascale Erlestoke Manor and Dapol Lydford Manor. I'm very much looking forward to receiving both.

Now there’s a brave man indeed. Nothing like stimulating competition.Dapol are relatively new to the production of OOsteam and for Accurascale it’s a first. Comparisons are awkward things but in this case it’s unavoidable. Not being uncharitable but I suppose you’re a guinea pig. :senile: Good luck with both and. a gremlin free experience with each 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2021 at 22:26, Chuffed 1 said:

Regarding Dapol’s rendition of BR Loco Green (it’s actually not Brunswick Green) I recall having a Triang Albert Hall for a present in 1966, just after they were first released.

I was struck at the time how realistic the green was, a sort of dull darker green, unlike Hornby’s Bristol Castle.

This of course was only twelve months or so since I’d seen the last in steam and there were still scrap lines with the odd ex-GW loco in.

Like Hornby’s 1950’s version of blood and custard and Triang maroon, I’ve always found contemporary model liveries more authentic than more recent renditions. Except, of course, the aforementioned Castle!

I have found that the best way of expressing it is simply….”BR Green “ avoiding the “Brunswick “ title. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2021 at 20:44, Clearwater said:

One thing I'm wondering about, both for the Manor and the Mogul, is how it will look when alongside the competing product.  I'm sure some people, myself included, may want to support both manufacturers and buy one of each.  Will the models have points, particularly the shade of green, that make them glaringly incompatible to have next to each other?  

David

Hello David.    Just been doing a catch up on this thread and came across your post. A clash between brands is perhaps inevitable as the world of model railways hasn’t yet caught up with world of agreed standards. Really perhaps one way around this is to have one in BR black,which is the livery the Manors were dressed in when I first saw 7829 on the  Vale of Neath line in the early 1950’s…complete with red background nameplate. Regards,Ian 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I think it'll be a case of getting what you pay for here.

You of course Robin are ahead of the curve,having handled with I note enthusiasm an engineering Accurascale example recently.  Dapol are capable of producing very good stuff but the difficulties encountered with stalling on pontwork need a degree of perhaps design tweaking and/or assembly attention. Thus for the time being at least it remains a curate’s egg of a model. So before the Manor is released,I hope exhaustive attention is paid to improved current collection for a start.Also please no Slim Jim tall chimney. The potential is there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

One question with regards to Dapol’s Manor is the chimney. Is it shaping up for an undernourished example as with the Prairie ?  

The Dapol fat chimney (i.e. pre-blastpipe mod) is currently a bit of a disaster. The narrow BR one is looking ok at the moment.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2021 at 09:46, Miss Prism said:

The Dapol fat chimney (i.e. pre-blastpipe mod) is currently a bit of a disaster. The narrow BR one is looking ok at the moment.

As I've got a deposit down on one, can you expand on the issues with the "fat" chimney please?