Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Forester said:

Please could Dapol ditch Muddy Green and replace it with a decent Brunswick green for the BR versions.

I suspect these shots are fairly underexposed, and don't give a correct impression of the actual green. Having said that, I've a feeling that Bachmann do GWR and BR greens best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, NCB said:

I suspect these shots are fairly underexposed, and don't give a correct impression of the actual green. Having said that, I've a feeling that Bachmann do GWR and BR greens best.

TBF to Dapol, the Brunswick Green on their GWR Moguls was really quite nice in my opinion.

As you quite rightly comment, the photos of these samples could well be underexposed.

Looks like this is going to be an excellent model and quite possibly Dapols best to date.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the Manor looks very promising indeed. A real shame that Dapol have undermined confidence somewhat through the apparently flawed first edition of the 43xx. I expect many like me will wait to hear reports of the first batch before committing and of course there is the issue of the equally promising version of the same loco coming from a rival manufacturer.  From a personal perspective both are starting on minus points for planning overly complicated tender to loco coupling arrangements!

Edited by MikeParkin65
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I think the Manor looks very promising indeed. A real shame that Dapol have undermined confidence somewhat through the apparently flawed first edition of the 43xx. I expect may like me will wait to hear reports of the first batch before committing and of course there is the issue of the equally promising version of the same loco coming from a rival manufacturer.  From a personal perspective both are starting on minus points for planning overly complicated tender to loco coupling arrangements!

From what I was told Mike, Dapol have addressed the problems with the tender connection fitment on the 43xx.

By all accounts, It is their intention to incorporate the newer, more robust modifications to new releases that became an issue on previous releases of the Mogul.

I sincerely hope this is the case as I've got one Dapol and one Accurascale on Pre-Order !

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

From what I was told Mike, Dapol have addressed the problems with the tender connection fitment on the 43xx.

By all accounts, It is their intention to incorporate the newer, more robust modifications to new releases that became an issue on previous releases of the Mogul.

I sincerely hope this is the case as I've got one Dapol and one Accurascale on Pre-Order !

This is good news indeed though IMHO you can't beat a post locating into hole on a drawbar. Locked in and going nowhere.  The Bachmann adjustable gap version probably the ultimate. Some arrangement of plug and socket for the electricals.

• Like 2

Regarding Dapol’s rendition of BR Loco Green (it’s actually not Brunswick Green) I recall having a Triang Albert Hall for a present in 1966, just after they were first released.

I was struck at the time how realistic the green was, a sort of dull darker green, unlike Hornby’s Bristol Castle.

This of course was only twelve months or so since I’d seen the last in steam and there were still scrap lines with the odd ex-GW loco in.

Like Hornby’s 1950’s version of blood and custard and Triang maroon, I’ve always found contemporary model liveries more authentic than more recent renditions. Except, of course, the aforementioned Castle!

Edited by Chuffed 1
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, NCB said:

I'm comparing it with the equally poor muddy green of the recent Dapol Churchward Mogul I purchased and had to get rid of.

Looks the same to me.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/06/2021 at 22:26, Chuffed 1 said:

Regarding Dapol’s rendition of BR Loco Green (it’s actually not Brunswick Green) I recall having a Triang Albert Hall for a present in 1966, just after they were first released.

I was struck at the time how realistic the green was, a sort of dull darker green, unlike Hornby’s Bristol Castle.

This of course was only twelve months or so since I’d seen the last in steam and there were still scrap lines with the odd ex-GW loco in.

Like Hornby’s 1950’s version of blood and custard and Triang maroon, I’ve always found contemporary model liveries more authentic than more recent renditions. Except, of course, the aforementioned Castle!

Thought the HD Castle green was pretty good, just like the Castles I used to see on the Swindon/Stroud/Gloucester line in the 1950s. Locos seen in the death throes of steam aren't a good guide to what went before.

Nigel

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, TerryBewdley said:

I read somewhere that Dapol will only sell sound fitted models direct from Dapol is this the case if so wondered why?

That seems to be the case as none of the model shops I have looked at are offering a sound fitted version.  No idea why

11 hours ago, Gopher said:

That seems to be the case as none of the model shops I have looked at are offering a sound fitted version.  No idea why

I got the impression they'd had too many 3rd-party sound-fitted ones back for warranty repairs. 

No different in principle to Bachmann demanding I removed the hard-wired sound chip and reinstated the circuit board in the tender of a Farish WD before they'd do a warranty repair to the valve gear of the loco.....

Les

I let the WD run with missing valve gear for a couple of years on Hawthorn Dene, casually explaining why it was running broken to anyone who asked.....  Lee Palmer of LP rails finally fixed it for me.

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

I got the impression they'd had too many 3rd-party sound-fitted ones back for warranty repairs. 

No different in principle to Bachmann demanding I removed the hard-wired sound chip and reinstated the circuit board in the tender of a Farish WD before they'd do a warranty repair to the valve gear of the loco.....

Les

I let the WD run with missing valve gear for a couple of years on Hawthorn Dene, casually explaining why it was running broken to anyone who asked.....  Lee Palmer of LP rails finally fixed it for me.

Cunning! :lol:

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2021 at 08:48, TerryBewdley said:

I read somewhere that Dapol will only sell sound fitted models direct from Dapol is this the case if so wondered why?

Blimey - there is a post somewhere else on this forum showing a 'factory fitted' GWR railcar that was utterly appalling  - bare wires, clumsy soldering etc. I normally sound fit myself but if I were buying I'd want it fitting by virtually anyone other than Dapol! Reminded me of a friend who had a car radio fitted by Halfords - they wired it direct to the battery terminals!! :banghead:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/07/2021 at 14:05, MikeParkin65 said:

Reminded me of a friend who had a car radio fitted by Halfords - they wired it direct to the battery terminals!! :banghead:

That is the best place to connect a car radio. Car wiring looms act as aerial for all sorts of interference.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2021 at 22:47, Les1952 said:

If Dapol have the sound chip installed, then they get to have 100% of the QC issues.  Of course, the system  breaks down when untrained people pass off the damaged problem back to Dapol. 

"Honest Guv! It was like that when I opened the box!"

At first glance, it's not a bad looking thing - although I approach with caution, having been a bit disappointed with the mogul.

If I was to nitpick, then a few small details stand out to me...
* The BR-era smokebox numberplates just look wrong - the numbers appear to be much too small.
* The Dapol green, as on the mogul, can't hold a candle to Bachmann's efforts.

* I'm curious as to the plate behind the crosshead - it's not a dealbreaker for me, but I wonder how that's come about?

Edited by MattA

22 minutes ago, MattA said:

At first glance, it's not a bad looking thing - although I approach with caution, having been a bit disappointed with the mogul.

If I was to nitpick, then a few small details stand out to me...
* The BR-era smokebox numberplates just look wrong - the numbers appear to be much too small.
* The Dapol green, as on the mogul, can't hold a candle to Bachmann's efforts.

*  I'm curious as to the plate behind the crosshead - it's not a dealbreaker for me, but I wonder how that's come about?

TBF, Dapol do state that this is a sample at the start of this update and it's probably not the finished article

With regards to the green livery, it's much better than some other competitors efforts I could mention !

I'm looking forward to comparing the Dapol and Accurascale Manors side by side.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Black 5 Bear said:

TBF, Dapol do state that this is a sample at the he start of this update and probably not the finished article

With regards to the green livery, it's much better than some other competitors efforts I could mention !

I'm looking forward to comparing the Dapol and Accurascale Manors side by side.

Agree  - I'm thinking if we didnt have the Accura version to anticipate we'd be pretty positive about the way the Dapol model is shaping up. The only nit pick I have about the video is that the whistle didnt seem to have that enthusiastic shrill note that I associate with Manors but thats a very subjective observation. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MattA said:

*  I'm curious as to the plate behind the crosshead - it's not a dealbreaker for me, but I wonder how that's come about?

It's a splash plate to stop oil getting on the wheels. I'm sure someone has posted about this earlier in the thread with prototype pics

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1