Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

4 hours ago, MPR said:

How much of that is original, Mark? There seems to be an awful lot of nickel silver above the running plate. 

I redesigned the boiler in Nickel Silver last year to get finer boiler bands and the washout plugs on the right hand side of the Firebox were in the wrong position. I also made new steam pipes and a new smokebox door.

633943C3-FD46-4B9A-9283-3586DCDCE329.jpeg

7F700992-C41B-465E-8878-5E207B610FD3.jpeg

A7B89A6C-1B32-4F13-8914-323202E9FCAB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Mark said:

I redesigned the boiler in Nickel Silver last year to get finer boiler bands and the washout plugs on the right hand side of the Firebox were in the wrong position. I also made new steam pipes and a new smokebox door.

633943C3-FD46-4B9A-9283-3586DCDCE329.jpeg

7F700992-C41B-465E-8878-5E207B610FD3.jpeg

A7B89A6C-1B32-4F13-8914-323202E9FCAB.jpeg

Wow! simply stunning

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 7 months later...

Don't forget that if Dapol follow the Mogul precedent then the whole locomotive will be available as spare parts, covering all the variants. That may or may not be a good thing, but it will differentiate them from anyone else.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2021 at 15:08, SteamingWales said:

Let the rumours and speculation commence!

There are 2 possibilités:

1/ "We're cancelling"

2/ "We're still going ahead and promise the modeler the bestist Manor ever which will including a working crew and head lamps"

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Well, they carried on with the large prairie despite being gazumped by Hornby, whose model pre-empted theirs to the shops, so I reckon they'll plug on with the Manor despite Accurascale's model being more advanced, if in fact this is the case.  Dap have the chassis  and themech from the mogul, which they are apparently using with improved gearing in their large prairie, and the tender from the mogul, so only need a body tooling and front bogie to produce a Manor.

I think it's possible Dapol are being clever with the timing of the large prairie; sales will be good if they manage to bring it to market just as Hornby are running out of stock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Isn't the Manor already behind the Wainwright D Class in the Dapol pipeline? And the D still doesn't even have a price - just a "hope" it'll be under £200.

I'd be very surprised if they don't cancel the Manor.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I think it's possible Dapol are being clever with the timing of the large prairie; sales will be good if they manage to bring it to market just as Hornby are running out of stock.

Thats not Hornby's style though.

I’d expect them to swamp the market with praries, in every possible livery, and same livery/number as the competitor, for at least the next few years.

They've done that with the 71, Radial, J94, 66, Terrier, Generic coaches.

I wouldnt be even surprised if a Hornby Manor was announced in June ready to go, a few errors here and there, but cheaper and in a wide bunch of liveries... theyve got most of it already..just put a Manor body on the Grange.

The hobby is generally too small for duplicate toolings, and the choices left for Manufacturers are too small to avoid duplication. I think were reaching a very crowded point where some manufacturers are looking at law of diminishing returns and may focus elsewhere than rtr OO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The Grange shares wheels, cylinders, and motion with the Manor, but the frame is shorter at the back, so you can't quite just put a new tooled Manor body on a Hornby Granges chassis.  I do not know if the frame length is the only issue; the inside of a Manor tooling has a good bit less space than the no.1 boilered Grange, and fitting the mech in might be an issue as well.  Dapol's approach, start off with a Mogul and work upwards, producing a large prairie along the way, is probably easier.  Mind you, this does not preclude Hornby using their large prairie chassis and mech for a Manor, or a 43xx for that matter...

with the increasing price of 00 gauge , even allowing for increased detail and functionalilty doesn't seem to be always coming with either quality or longevity . when you are making an investment you do hope that the engine will be fit for purpose . Now I suspect that modern Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol/accurascale etc will not last as long as the Hornby O gauge, Hornby 00, Triang 00 . 

What realistically was the lifespan of the Airfix, Mainline, even early Bachmann , 20 years maybe less 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sidmouth said:

with the increasing price of 00 gauge , even allowing for increased detail and functionalilty doesn't seem to be always coming with either quality or longevity . when you are making an investment you do hope that the engine will be fit for purpose . Now I suspect that modern Hornby/Bachmann/Dapol/accurascale etc will not last as long as the Hornby O gauge, Hornby 00, Triang 00 . 

What realistically was the lifespan of the Airfix, Mainline, even early Bachmann , 20 years maybe less 

It's not uncommon to find fully functioning examples of all three, so it depends on how they are used and kept. I knew someone who stored half a dozen almost new early Bachmann locos in his loft for three summers and found the wheels had come off when he got them down.

I'd think that the current levels and fragility of detail will tell over time on locos that see intensive use so long as my pet peeve of dodgy gears don't let them down first. Even if Hornby were to announce a Manor, I'd rule theirs out on the basis of my repeated experience of those.

I have a small stock of Comet and Perseverance chassis kits, picked up relatively cheaply from club stands at shows etc., awaiting the demise of the originals.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Well, they carried on with the large prairie despite being gazumped by Hornby, whose model pre-empted theirs to the shops, so I reckon they'll plug on with the Manor despite Accurascale's model being more advanced

My basic understanding of the situation in general is (so please feel free to correct me on this if anyone knows better) the biggest outlay in production is the tooling, research and CAD's are relatively cheap in the production process. If you have started to tool up then you keep going owing to the outlay, but if you are just at research or CAD's you can stop with little cost. I cannot see any CAD's for the Dapol Manor so would be surprised if they had gotten too far with it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

My basic understanding of the situation in general is (so please feel free to correct me on this if anyone knows better) the biggest outlay in production is the tooling, research and CAD's are relatively cheap in the production process. If you have started to tool up then you keep going owing to the outlay, but if you are just at research or CAD's you can stop with little cost. I cannot see any CAD's for the Dapol Manor so would be surprised if they had gotten too far with it. 

Nobody saw any CAD's or had any hint of tooling with Accurascales Manor until they dropped the bombshell with their announcement last week, which included the partly complete EP.

Edited by David Stannard
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Well, they carried on with the large prairie despite being gazumped by Hornby, whose model pre-empted theirs to the shops, so I reckon they'll plug on with the Manor despite Accurascale's model being more advanced, if in fact this is the case.  Dap have the chassis  and themech from the mogul, which they are apparently using with improved gearing in their large prairie, and the tender from the mogul, so only need a body tooling and front bogie to produce a Manor.

Hardly gazumped - the Hornby prairie had been under development for quite a while, over a year- 18 months, before Dapol announced theirs and obviously the Accuracsacle 'Manor was underway when Dapol announced theirs (there is even a suspicion that Dapol got wind of somebody else working on a 'Manor which caused them to announce theirs in rather a hurry notwithstanding the fact that it was a sensible course for them to follow).  

As ever the fact that something is announced offers no indication at all as to whether or not it was the first one under development.    And as already noted the only time it becomes a problem for a manufacturer is when they have reached the expensive stage of tooling - expenditure up to that point is really no more than chicken feed in the total costs of producing and marketing a model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, David Stannard said:

Nobody saw any CAD's or had any hint of tooling with Accurascales Manor until they dropped the bombshell with their announcement last week, which included the partly complete EP.

Or indeed Bachmann's partial retool of the Modified Hall which is stated as due in the spring.

• Like 2