Esu ECoS Point direction

Ouroborus

Fairly new to the ECoS and spent tonight adding my points to the system.  Quick question - the ECoS gives an indication of whether the point is thrown.   But if this wrong and the ECoS is showing the point thrown when it's actually straight, is there any way of correcting this within the ECoS or do I have to physically switch the +ve and -ve wires for each point affected?  Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

The change should be possible within the decoder.  Which decoder are you using?

Switching the track wires will likely mess up your frog switching, assuming this is being done through the point motor.

I’ve only had my ECoS a few weeks, so can’t answer if it can be changed within the controller. I certainly haven’t found anything yet, but it may be worth asking on the ESU forum.

I’m using Tortoise motors and when setting them up, had a similar problem with the display out of sync with the turnout. Very easy to fix by swapping over the feed wires on the Tortoise motor that go to terminal 1 & 8.

No problem at all with the frog polarity as you are not changing any of that set up in the motor, simply the turnout position relative to the display.

• RMweb Gold

The ECoS allows you to "mirror" the point which will change it to the orientation you require, without affecting the decoder operation or settings ill try and get you a picture of the button tonight.

Edited by pheaton
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gordon s said:

I thought the mirror control just changed a turnout from a left hand to right hand. My understanding from the OP was that the display was showing straight ahead, but the turnout was set to go left or right.  

You have this right.  The mirror function is used to align the point on the plan, but does nothing for how the point is switched. 

Looking on the Lenz instructions and more widely on other forums, there seems little to be done at ECoS end and there is some suggestion of switching the DCC feed wires into the Lenz.  I will be surprised if this works, but you never know.   The Lenz instructions point out that if the decoder throws the point the opposite to the direction intended, "simply reverse the wires".  Easy on a bench in front of you, less easy when you're upside down under the layout.

You need some of these. Just cut and strip both feed wires to the point motor and open and close the ZIF cam lever. That can be anywhere along the cable length. Swap the wires over and no soldering. I use them all the time for exactly that reason.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/2-way-lever-connector-222-series-pack-of-50/97689

You'll be amazed how often you will use them and how easy it is. Saves soldering under a board. If you only need a couple, send me your address by PM and I'll send you two.

• Thanks 1

So I use neither ECoS nor Lenz, (Z21 & NCE Switch 8 in my case)

But faced with the same problem I have 3 options.

Reverse the point throw on the Z21 app.

Reverse the point throw by programming the NCE Switch 8

Reverse the wires going to the point motor.

I would be surprised if options 1 or 2 are not available to you with the ECoS or the Lenx decoder.

Regards,

John P

2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

You have this right.  The mirror function is used to align the point on the plan, but does nothing for how the point is switched. 

Looking on the Lenz instructions and more widely on other forums, there seems little to be done at ECoS end and there is some suggestion of switching the DCC feed wires into the Lenz.  I will be surprised if this works, but you never know.   The Lenz instructions point out that if the decoder throws the point the opposite to the direction intended, "simply reverse the wires".  Easy on a bench in front of you, less easy when you're upside down under the layout.

You need to switch the wires between the LS150 and the point motor.  Switching the DCC wires into the LS150 will do nothing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, gordon s said:

I thought the mirror control just changed a turnout from a left hand to right hand. My understanding from the OP was that the display was showing straight ahead, but the turnout was set to go left or right.  

So that's correct and then if you rotate the turnout after mirroring it corrects the issue :)  well that's how I managed to get round the issue of turnouts not switching the way they show on the screen.

Edited by pheaton
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, pheaton said:

So that's correct and then if you rotate the turnout after mirroring it corrects the issue :)  well that's how I managed to get round the issue of turnouts not switching the way they show on the screen.

I'd go along with that. 

If you have a RH turnout that is showing the wrong route; change it on the ECoS to a LH turnout, then mirror it, then rotate if required to the correct orientation.  That should solve the problem without messing with wiring.

Steve

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...

I purchased 12 original Cobalt digital point motors and 36 original classics. For lots of reasons they stayed in their boxes until Lockdown when I got round to laying track and fitting point motors. Alas the throw of the point did not match the icons on the ECoS 50200. John at DCC concepts advised that I could swap over the feeds to the classics which did the trick but. also discovered that there was no way of matching up the digital motors until I saw Steve’s post above which gave a clear description of how to solve my problem, so thank you Steve.

it works.

TomsGrandpa

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had this issue where ECoS display didn't match the actual turnout throw. I've just purchased a 50210 and in the process of wiring up 30 or so servos. Was wondering how to resolve this so a RMweb search threw this thread up.

I'm using Switchpilot servos as decoders and found out by chance that when the address is programmed, just before pressing the "learning" button on the switchpilot, change the point position on the ECoS to match the layout. It then is in sync with the turnout. Just have to go back now and reprogramme a few that are out of sync.

neil 

17 hours ago, Downendian said:

Had this issue where ECoS display didn't match the actual turnout throw. I've just purchased a 50210 and in the process of wiring up 30 or so servos. Was wondering how to resolve this so a RMweb search threw this thread up.

I'm using Switchpilot servos as decoders and found out by chance that when the address is programmed, just before pressing the "learning" button on the switchpilot, change the point position on the ECoS to match the layout. It then is in sync with the turnout. Just have to go back now and reprogramme a few that are out of sync.

neil 

To reverse the orientation with a SP Servo, so that the actual position of the point blades matches the onscreen position just swap over the end point values for the relevant CVs. Or use the "mirror" method as described above.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, GoingUnderground said:

To reverse the orientation with a SP Servo, so that the actual position of the point blades matches the onscreen position just swap over the end point values for the relevant CVs. Or use the "mirror" method as described above.

Sure that’s an option, it’s just simpler to make sure the ECoS display matches the turnout position before programming its address.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2021 at 12:40, GoingUnderground said:

That advice was spot on. Changed the CVs on my Switchpilots by swapping the values for A and B positions of servos (CVs 38/39; 41/42; 44/45 and 47/48 on Switchpilot 2 servo decoders. By manually adjusting the servo positions on the decoder, then a simple switch of cv values was the simplest solution for those points not matching the ECoS display. Thanks Goingunderground