New layout in converted garage

Johnny Rock

I've an unmade Settle and Carlisle station building in card from Metcalfe. I've opened it but decided not to build it as I've gone for the Hornby Skaledale East buildings. Its available at a much reduced price if anyone is interested? 

image.png.bf502c9b94eebb524d1c893ca9c84c37.png

On 04/04/2020 at 11:07, RAF96 said:

My railway room is a converted garage - previous owner used it as a photo studio.

My door is also top right of your plan opening inwards, so I have gone for a four foot space at the door end to act as workbench and operating area, PC, controllers, etc.

For access to the centre well I have a four track at two levels bridge section. At first I tried it as a lift-out but it was awkward to remove and refit and my chosen method of powering and locating it using plug-in choc block connectors was problematic so I changed the design to a slide in ‘drawer’ arrangement. The choc blocks are mounted one half on the drawer and the other half on back stop blocks. The section just slides in on wooden runners and the electrical connections self locate, reliably.

The drawer is secured by a bolt either side at the front. The electrics as wired so as to provide an isolated section either side of the gap when the section is removed. When the section is secured the isolated sections power is restored. It works like a charm.

1EFD4AD1-A278-496D-AC62-A8D58CAD4021.jpeg

I see the track is not fixed down securely yet. Does it work reliably?  Can you get the "Drawer" back in easily?  Does the alignment stay put?     I did consider something similar but sliding vertically on guides.    I think it has potential.  But, for the S&C layout I would make the viaduct the lifting or lift out section on the visible part of the layout. Maybe scenery down to the floor a la Gorre & Dapheteid.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have begun ballasting sections of track, track sprayed in a mid brown firstly to resemble rust and weathering. Weathered ballast added and glued in the usual tried and tested manner. Have just bought an air brush  tool so will be adding extra weathered touches to track edges. 

I've decided on the digitrax system with tortoise motors operated by DS64s  and an NCE switch 8. 

Many thanks for your comment, 

What I wanted was for goods to be able to slip into the yard from the up line and also cross over from the yard to the down line. My slip position achieves this. I did look at many drawings and photos before putting the slip in. The double slip at the opposite end of goods yards has many routes to the up line plus the loco spur which can be used as a head shunt. 

• RMweb Gold

The crossover from the far track into the yard incorporating a trailing slip to the near track is characteristic of MR practice. Goods trains would always set back into the yard, from either direction.

The double slip in the yard itself is fine - it's just that they avoided facing points in running lines wherever possible.

• Agree 2

Trains would almost always reverse into yards, certainly at this kind of location. I think someone on here said that the entire Settle & Carlisle line had one facing point in its entire length, in the down line at Appleby where the junction was.

However if you're happy then nothing else really matters.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

Trains would almost always reverse into yards, certainly at this kind of location. I think someone on here said that the entire Settle & Carlisle line had one facing point in its entire length, in the down line at Appleby where the junction was.

However if you're happy then nothing else really matters.

Oh no, no way.
And I would do anything for love,
But I won't do that
No I won't do that

Well, I'm not a perfectionist and all model railways have a compromise in some shape or form. As long as I achieve a feel of the settle and carlisle in my efforts with the space available, then I'm happy. My posts are really aimed at sharing enthusiasm with like minded people. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's your baby but turning the single slip round is a very simple change to make at this stage and it would make your station identifiably S&C, make the operations more authentic and avoid lots of tedious justification when you show people your layout in years to come.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

These are like-minded people who are genuinely trying to help ....... it took me a long time to understand why the real railway didn't do things that would have made things operationally much simpler, like being "able to slip into the yard from the up line".  Eventually I got it, but it does make fitting goods yards into layout designs that bit more difficult!

On a different note, I really like your ballasting work - looks just tip top :good:

Edited by Chimer
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, I'm not a perfectionist and all model railways have a compromise in some shape or form. As long as I achieve a feel of the settle and carlisle in my efforts with the space available, then I'm happy. My posts are really aimed at sharing enthusiasm with like minded people. 

Thanks all, 

Taking the relevant comments into consideration I'll try to lift the slip and rotate hopefully with out too much track damage. Thank you for the ballasting feedback, I really didn't want it to look as if it had just been laid. My son has worked on the North York Moors railway and gave me some tips. 

• Like 2

A technical question for anyone who may know.

I have 16 points and wish to use my NCE switch 8 in conjunction with my 2 x DS64 s. I have a Digitrax system. I'd like to use the NCE for individual points and the  DS64s for route setting. 

I'd appreciate any thoughts .

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since my last post. Progress on Kirkby St. John is going well but slowly. Have completed my collection of locomotives all running with DCC. 

Bachmann "Galatea" 4-6-0

Bachmann "Jinty" 0-6-0

Hornby Duchess of Montrose 4-6-2 (Sound Fitted)

Bachmann 2-6-0  4 MT Crab

Bachman Fairburn Tank 4-6-2

Hornby 8F 2-8-0 

Hornby 4F 0-6-0

All track and points of the main line section now installed and running well. All points controlled with tortoise motors. (Love these) I discovered that crossover pairs of points can be wired through 1 switch output hence making sure that the crossover switches both points simultaneously. This also releases another output for other switches. 

Have continued with dummy point rodding project using a mixture of thin plastic strip and the Wills point rodding kits. I found the Wills were very expensive and need quite a long run so making the rodding bars from strip, suitable painted etc with the Wills connectors for joints and levers.

Have also begun the construction of the station platforms (curved). These are scratch built.

Will send some photos soon.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...