Hattons Trade In

Robin Brasher

After trying to sell my Tri-ang Hornby Kneller Hall at various model railway exhibitions and toy fairs I tried trading it in for a Bachmann bargain 'Rood Ashton Hall'.

The trade in went very well. Hattons gave me a quote and gave me a label to print on my box which I took to a shop 200 yards away. On receipt of the locomotive and the balance Hattons sent me the new model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Used them a couple of times, always had very good service. I suppose I could have got more money selling them on ebay, but Hattons was less hassle - and I got more for store credit than for cash. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Used them a couple of times, always had very good service. I suppose I could have got more money selling them on ebay, but Hattons was less hassle - and I got more for store credit than for cash. 

What was the uplift in the store credit value versus cash in percentage terms?

• 2 months later...

Hattons are doing an online trade in service now. You can click on popular items you want to sell and they give a quotation for a sale or a trade in. They offered me £5 cash or £6 for a trade in of a Hornby BR green Mk1 brake.  You have to buy something for the trade in as you cannot store the credit or use it on a pre-order. In theory the model is worth between £12 and £16 according to the 9th edition of Ramsay's catalogue but I had stands at toy fairs and model railway exhibitions and sold nothing.  I offered some similar coaches to a trader and he said he would give me £4 per coach but he increased his offer to £5. I think the Hattons offer is a good deal in the present climate and I have got so much rolling stock that I am getting to the stage that if it wasn't for Hattons I would have to pay someone to take them away.

• RMweb Premium

I'm at saturation point storage wise . Probably got a goof few Bachmann Mk1s to be offloaded . I might give Hattons a try. I take it the label Hattons provided covered postage or did you have to pay that yourself?

Hattons pay for the postage.  It is a while since I used their service but I printed the label, glued it onto a box and took the box to a convenience store where the courier picked it up. The whole process went very smoothly. I am going try and do a trade in next time.

When you take the cost of postage into account £6 is a good deal for an old Hornby MK1 BG.

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe consider the for sale section of this site ?

The whole point of the thread is that it can be (or rather is) quicker and easier to sell to a trader even if you do not realise quite as much...possibly, maybe........

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, LBRJ said:

The whole point of the thread is that it can be (or rather is) quicker and easier to sell to a trader even if you do not realise quite as much...possibly, maybe........

perhaps 20 years ago, but with the internet things have moved on.

A lot of retailers don't touch second hand any more.
i’m surprised at some of the stuff Hattons does touch.

But the poster referred to hawking around Shows etc.. those days have largely gone to history too, online has mostly replaced those options too.

so is Hattons faster, easier ? -

maybe, from what i’m reading above, there is a benefit of an instant sale of very old models mass produced that are low value and twice retooled since.

But  if youve a desirable loco in excellent condition i’m sure a lot of people would yank your hand off at the shoulder on here if you offered it at a Hattons trade in price, or higher... and that would be as fast and as easy i’d wager.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I've now used their new trade-in site for the second time.

It is really easy to use, and saves a lot of hassle vis-a-vis descriptions.  After using it the first time, they asked me to complete a questionnaire; in the further comments section at the end I suggested one upgrade - add an 'obvious' save button so that you can work on the list over time rather than all at once.  That said, if you have set up and account, and log-in, before listing then it automatically save it when you log-out.  When I had a question about their system the staff were their usual helpful and approachable selves.

If I had any criticism it is that they use Collect+ as their collection courier.  This company is part owned by Yodel; I find them to be slow, and in the past they have tried to tell me that my local delivery depot is in the Greater Manchester area despite living in EH6 at the time.

I have no connection with Hattons other than as a happy customer for the last eighteen years.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1