Boiler looks split?

29 minutes ago, Forester said:

It is normal for the Hornby Rebuilt Merchant Navy - if at the wide end of the normal range.

(I have most of them although the majority are body only for identity changes)

Thanks, is there any fix?

Ask for some more photos of it out of the box so you can judge better. 

I once was looking to buy a Heljan 47 on ebay. Pictures of the loco tucked up in its box, but no pictures of it out. I asked for pictures of it out the box, but he wouldn't because it had never been out the box and he advertised it as mint boxed. 

I didn't buy it because the cynical part of me suspected that it had mazac rot and he was hoping to get shot. So I would ask for pictures of it from above and judge for yourself. I know the front bogie on them suffered from mazac rot on some early ones. But you need to also check the whistle isn't snapped off. I have seen plenty like that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

Thanks, is there any fix?

It's the way the MN body is assembled and glued together so not unless you can unglue it and make a better fit. Never tried and think it unlikely without further damage.

• Informative/Useful 1

Might I suggest you buy a Wrenn Merchant Navy engine. Ok not as detailed as the Hornby one, Buy boy does it have more presence on the layout. Plus it pulls like the proverbial steam train. I have 3 of them and decided not to buy the Hornby one because of this.

Edited by cypherman
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Might I suggest you buy a Wrenn Merchant Navy engine. Ok not as detailed as the Hornby one, Buy boy does it have more presence on the layout. Plus it pulls like the proverbial steam train. I have 3 of them and decided not to buy the Hornby one because of this.

The Wrenn is not a Merchant Navy but a West Country - and the motor sticks out of the back of the cab!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Forester said:

The Wrenn is not a Merchant Navy but a West Country - and the motor sticks out of the back of the cab!

Indeed - Whilst quite a lovely product for its time, I have a mint, run in only Wrenn "Sir Keith Park - Golden Arrow", it's past its prime when compared to the latest Hornby offerings and is still in its box!

Edited by Ian Abel