Brake levers for sand tipplers...?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, I'm currently putting together a number of Red Panda sand tipplers to dia. 1/072 (unfitted) using the Parkside chassis kit, and I'm looking to improve the brake levers and guards with something better, i.e. brass etch items.

The best candidate I've been able to locate so far is one or other of the Bill Bedford etches (CES037/A or B), which though described as Midland design are close enough to do the job.

However, there are two types available, long and short, and I'm unsure which would be better?

I suspect the longer one, but if anyone can confirm I'd be grateful. Even better, perhaps there's a more appropriate alternative out there somewhere?

I'm not looking to replace the shoes and push rods, though I am replacing the safety loops, but they're of course much easier.

Justin at Rumney Models does an etched brass fret for detailing wagons catering for Morton Brake levers and a wealth of other useful detailing bits. Each fret has sufficient parts for two wagons and includes the following:

Morton brake levers

GWR & RCH brake lever guards, brackets and stays (suit Parkside / Bachmann solebars)

Replacement vees

Tiebars

Solebar detailing

Lamp irons

Vacuum pipe brackets

Open wagon door springs

Coupling hooks

GWR & LMS/BR Instanter links

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wagon-detailing

The part number is B.114 should you wish to order.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you gentlemen...

Wizard was my first port of call as it happens, but I had discounted the 51L fret as I would need quite a number to complete my project, and the Bill Bedord frets offer a more economical route.

Similarly the Rumney frets would mean ending up with loads of unwanted parts...

Comparing the levers on the 51L etch with the Bill Bedford long lever etch, it would appear that the levers are at least very nearly identical, and one pack provides levers and guards for 12 wagons... so I think I've found the answer, with a little help. :)

Edited by Nickey Line

It might be worth checking with Ambis Engineering. They have a wide range of economic etchings for brake levers and other metalwork in the brake department. Their website is rather difficult to navigate so it might be worthwhile contacting them directly, and, if you can't identify what you need from the attached list, they might even produce a new etching if you can provide the information.

image.png.75abfeb2c1c392d32f8e370bdb544ba5.png

• Agree 1

One of the problems with the Ambis website is that there are very few pictures to show what you are getting. I have Just discovered that Hobby Holidays, who retail Ambis's 7mm range, have an excellent website which has photos of most of the items they stock. Not all the 4mm range are available in the senior scale, but those that are are marked with the blue HH on the list I posted.

https://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/products.php?cat=60&pg=1

Edited by Nick Holliday

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. Unfortunately there's not much in the way of written descriptions, and seeing the etches 'in the flat' doesn't really help much. :(

Are folk just expected to know? Could always ring I suppose but a short resumé of intended usage would be helpful.