Class 710’s in service with London Overground

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I may have missed something here but I’ve just seen on WNXX that the Class 710’s are now entering service with London Overground on the Watford Junction - Euston route.  Can I ask where the Class 378’s are being bumped too or are they going on another LO route to increase the service?

9 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I may have missed something here but I’ve just seen on WNXX that the Class 710’s are now entering service with London Overground on the Watford Junction - Euston route.  Can I ask where the Class 378’s are being bumped too or are they going on another LO route to increase the service?

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Doubt that there is much track capacity for increased services. 378s more likely to be replacing 315s or some other older stock.

710s started on the Watford dc line in September.  The plan eventually is for the released 378s to increase the service frequency on the ELL.

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

I saw one(710) at Gospel Oak on Tuesday doing the GOBLIN service to Barking.

Rob

710s started on the GOBLIN in May 2019

Edit.  They've also just started out of Liverpool St to Cheshunt, Chingford and Enfield

Edited by DY444
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, billbedford said:

...and people started complaining they were filled to capacity in the peaks by September. 

So they'd probably be complaining even more if the 2 car 172s were still on the route.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DY444 said:

710s started on the Watford dc line in September.  The plan eventually is for the released 378s to increase the service frequency on the ELL.

Project currently underway on ELL (signalling alterations) to increase capacity to 18 tph. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, iands said:

Project currently underway on ELL (signalling alterations) to increase capacity to 18 tph. 

Which is ironic because ISTR that the WLL currently has far more overcrowding — but can’t have extra trains because freight paths are apparently needed through central London. 

WLL is always the poor relation to ELL — I suspect because TfL controls the infrastructure on the latter while the former is NR. 

Paul

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Fenman said:

.... I suspect because TfL controls the infrastructure on the latter while the former is NR. 

Paul

You are quite correct Paul, London Overground are the "Infrastructure Manager" for the ELL, but that is only from Highbury & Islington to New Cross/New Cross Gate and Old Kent Road Junction, about 7 miles - not much in railway terms (but I agree, that's 7 miles more than on WLL, or even NLL). The other major factor of course is that there is no freight on ELL.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jim.snowdon said:

I don't know what the current ELL service is in terms of tph, but if they want to increase it to 18tph, the extra trains have to go somewhere once they get onto NR's infrastructure. Any clues as to where?

Jim

Hi Jim, 

I think the additional capacity is spread around to serve the West Croydon, Crystal Palace and Clapham services. Not sure if the increase is just for "peak time" services or the entire timetable service. I'll find out some more details next week and provide an update. I also think the ultimate aim is to provide a 20 tph service on the core route (i.e. Dalston Jcn to Surrey Quays). 

On 05/03/2020 at 12:43, Fenman said:

Which is ironic because ISTR that the WLL currently has far more overcrowding — but can’t have extra trains because freight paths are apparently needed through central London. 

To be fair they're now running 5tph on the West London Line during the peaks - with 10tph on the NLL - thanks to the 378s freed up from Euston-Watford.

5-car 710s will then allow a further cascade, displacing 378s from the NLL to boost frequencies on the ELL.

Edited by Christopher125

7 hours ago, Christopher125 said:

To be fair they're now running 5tph on the West London Line during the peaks - with 10tph on the NLL - thanks to the 378s freed up from Euston-Watford.

5-car 710s will then allow a further cascade, displacing 378s from the NLL to boost frequencies on the ELL.

5 tph on WLL *

versus

18 tph on ELL

Er... what do you mean, “to be fair”?!

Paul

* and isn’t one of those a Southern service, so “they” (ie, TfL) are actually only running 4. 

Edited by Fenman

6 minutes ago, Fenman said:

Er... what do you mean, “to be fair”?!

Paul

* and isn’t one of those a Southern service, so “they” (ie, TfL) are actually only running 4. 

You said it was ironic that the WLL can't have extra trains, but *to be fair* it's just had a frequency increase - the extra 378s available has allowed London Overground to increase frequencies on the NLL (10tph) and WLL (5tph) during the peaks.