Railroad

The Johnster

The Railroad tender used a complete motor block. Less the magnet, gears and armature.

So, replacement can be another motor block, or the trailing bogie small block.

Using an old Margate made motor block would probably involve drilling a hole for the centre axle.

I think that the Railroad motor block had pick ups for the front and back wheel sets?

I also think that these were the type that fit onto both flat ends of the motor block, with machine screws that fit into the weight retaining screw holes.

It does make you wonder why Hornby didn't use the trailing bogie block, as it is a tidy solution.

It is also a bit lighter...maybe they thought a slightly heavier tender was a good idea?

• Like 1

On 05/03/2020 at 20:06, Colin said:

There are others in the main Hornby range which IMHO definitely belong in yellow Railroad boxes - the J94, 2P and 4F come to mind. All are good models and mine certainly run well but they are not up to current detail standards and don’t really justify their price tags.

The 150 Sprinter is an old Lima model that Hornby are selling in the main range, that model should also be in the Railroad range.

In my view Hornby are missing an opportunity here.

They should treat Railroad as a stand alone range with its own marketing manager and build up brand loyalty by offering a complete Railroad all-you-need-for-a-simple-layout range including budget rolling stock, buildings, locos all in a chosen compatible era - a sort of big brother of Thomas.

Items could cascade down from the main Hornby range, suitably toughened up by removing some of the delicate detail, but there should be no marketing confusion between the two ranges.

23 minutes ago, Forester said:

build up brand loyalty by offering a complete Railroad all-you-need-for-a-simple-layout range including budget rolling stock, buildings, locos all in a chosen compatible era

I thought that that was essentially what the Family Fun Project was all about. I'm not convinced that 'compatible era' is that important to someone looking at something like this though.