South Wales Railways in the 1980s.

Rivercider

I consider myself fortunate that Amberley Publishing are releasing my book 'South Wales Railways in the 1980s' in March 2020.

It is no heavyweight reference work, but more a record of some of my travels in South Wales between 1980 and 1986.

Many photos were taken in Newport, Cardiff and Swansea, but I also ventured off the main line into the valleys hunting class 37s on coal trains.

Apart from a few photos of a DMU charter all the pictures are of ordinary, everyday workings. The sun did not always shine, and I am no Ivo Peters, but I hope to have captured some of the atmosphere of the time and place.

South_Wales_Railways_in_the_1980s..jpg.c0b3f764d02d61cb2ab77c0fd4dd33e6.jpg

South_Wales_Railways_in_the_1980s._rear_cover.jpg.7d608f5648b93af4582ea63e6934b553.jpg

The front cover shows a Paddington bound HST at Bridgend, and 37204 at Llanwern Works West Connection with coal for the steel works. The rear cover shows 37251 with shale empties from Nelson bog passing the site of Trelewis Halt.

cheers  

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Currently reading. Picture quality is  rather poor, but what a stroll down memory lane. Wonderful.

Thanks Lee.

Yes I was disappointed with the colour reproduction,  and the quality of the paper of my previous book was better than this one. Some of my old prints had faded, I did some adjustment myself, but was told they would do more work.

Anyway I'm glad it brought back some good  memories, I enjoyed my visits there.

cheers  

• Friendly/supportive 1