Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Baz Ward

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

I have had ano email to tell me that Baz Ward, for many years a supporter of the York Show at Easter has died.

Baz was an interesting character who put his heart and soul into the Show. Only Baz would where a top hat and sport a sandwich board advertising the show in the busy streets of York. His artwork adorned the York show publicity and Handbook for many years.

He spent some time in Greece with his good lady and only moved back when she died.  This spurred him on to produce a layout based on Greek Railway practice. 

Baz was a very good artist, a good modeller, but, most of all, a nice guy who was a good friend.

RIP Baz 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

A real shame. Baz was a good friend of Trish Guerri (my other half Jenny's sister), so I met him years ago. Trish commissioned him to paint (on canvas) her parent's Rougier St off licence. Since Trish's untimely demise, Baz's painting now adorns one of our walls. He also invited me to operate "Megalo Horio" at Peterborough some years ago.  A really nice guy.

• Like 2

Sad news indeed. I enjoyed a long chat with him at Warley some years ago. 
Great sense of humour as the containers in the train were marked YING TONG YING TONG DIDDLE I PO and that lead to our chat.

Very few modellers of Greek railways are the time, so Baz was a pioneer. 
RIP Baz, you will be missed.

Malcolm

Edited by Fenway Park
Spelling error
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Fenway Park said:

Sad news indeed. I enjoyed a long chat with him at Warley some years ago. 
Great sense of humour as the containers in the train were marked YING TONG YING TONG DIDDLE I PO and that lead to our chat.

Very few modellers of Greek railways are the time, so Baz was a pioneer. 
RIP Baz, you will be missed.

Malcolm

I would have loved to have seen that!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Megalo Horio was based on the railways on Crete according to Baz. Crete didn't have any railways............

Here are some photos that I took of it at Peterborough Festival of Model Railways in October 2013 when he honoured me with team membership.

IMGP2574.JPG

IMGP2583.JPG

IMGP2585.JPG

IMGP2586_Post.jpg

IMGP2587_Post.jpg

IMGP2588_Post.jpg

IMGP2589_Post.jpg

IMGP2590.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 96701 said:

Megalo Horio was based on the railways on Crete according to Baz. Crete didn't have any railways............

Here are some photos that I took of it at Peterborough Festival of Model Railways in October 2013 when he honoured me with team membership.

IMGP2574.JPG

IMGP2583.JPG

IMGP2585.JPG

IMGP2586_Post.jpg

IMGP2587_Post.jpg

IMGP2588_Post.jpg

IMGP2589_Post.jpg

IMGP2590.JPG

Amazing. I am sad I never met Baz, I think perhaps I have missed out on meeting an incredibly interesting man.

Hi,

I've just joined your forum in order to add something to your kind comments about Baz Ward. I knew him through a dear friend of mine, who was his partner for a while and who helped him with the Greek railway layout pictured above.

I'm contributing to this thread to let you know that there will be a celebration in memory of Baz at the Winning Post pub on Bishopthorpe Road in York this coming Saturday (14th), between 2pm and 5pm. You might also wish to know that there is no funeral service taking place before then - that wouldn't have been Baz's style, and in fact I believe that a private cremation with just a few family members took place in Saltburn By The Sea yesterday.

Best wishes to you all,

Pete. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...