Warning Model Shop Owners!

AGR Model Store

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Britain is no longer part of the European "Shengen zone",  perhaps they have returned home as Europe has closed its borders.

Britain never was part of the Schengen zone.

Andi

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

20 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Britain is no longer part of the European "Shengen zone",  perhaps they have returned home as Europe has closed its borders.

The UK never was part of the Schengen zone (nor was/is Ireland).

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2020 at 08:49, ruggedpeak said:

they take plates theft seriously as it facilitates much more serious crimes. Catch a plate thief and generally you've got someone for more serious things. 

My plates are secured using anti-tamper/security screws, readily available from Ebay.  Not infallible, but every little helps....

On 11/03/2020 at 20:18, jcredfer said:

Thank you Chris, that's very recent, indeed.  It's almost surprising that a City could / would be created in modern times.  Very interesting, thanks again.

Julian

Sunderland's another granted City status in recent times, 1992 to mark the 40th anniversary of The Queen's accession.

It's also another one to be without a cathedral, being part of the Diocese of Durham

• Informative/Useful 1

On 13/03/2020 at 17:52, ianLMS said:

DO is listed on this map for German numbers plates and its in the area of Dortmund. Took a while to find, but look to the area half way up the map, and across to the left and you will see it. 

I should have been an Interpol officer!!

Given that the very same information/speculation has already been posted in this thread, you might want to reconsider your application, Sherlock! ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Oh and another thing - don't forget that if you're having to close down for the duration and not living on the premises, make sure that the shop has as much security as is reasonably possible as movement restrictions won't stop the scrotes getting out and about.

One shop I know, being aware that restrictions may have been on the horizon had removed all high value items out and stored elsewhere - says it gave an opportunity to do stock-taking at the same time.

Take care out there everyone.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Interesting Bourton on the Water is 4 miles north of Northleach where This Country is filmed.

There must be someone out there buying these models.   They won't get very rich flogging them to folks like me but they must be getting 50% of retail to make it worth while.  

The lock down is a great time for burglars to break in as per the Paignton Model Railway centre raid where they broke in from the property above.

The number plate theft is a bit amateur, they usually just find a similar vehicle to theirs and make up some plates. As the numbers tend to stick to the clear perspex and clear perspex is readily available Its not that hard to change the numbers well enough to fool the police ANPR cameras.  

If they steal plates then you give plod a bell and they flag it up on the computer which defeats the object of driving around on your MOT and Insurance for months and having you pay their parking and speeding fines.

But think about the crims, drug dealers and cash in hand self empolyed as they suffer a catastrophic loss of income due to the C virus.     There that cheered you up didn't it.

8 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Interesting Bourton on the Water is 4 miles north of Northleach where This Country is filmed.

There must be someone out there buying these models.   They won't get very rich flogging them to folks like me but they must be getting 50% of retail to make it worth while.  

The lock down is a great time for burglars to break in as per the Paignton Model Railway centre raid where they broke in from the property above.

The number plate theft is a bit amateur, they usually just find a similar vehicle to theirs and make up some plates. As the numbers tend to stick to the clear perspex and clear perspex is readily available Its not that hard to change the numbers well enough to fool the police ANPR cameras.  

If they steal plates then you give plod a bell and they flag it up on the computer which defeats the object of driving around on your MOT and Insurance for months and having you pay their parking and speeding fines.

But think about the crims, drug dealers and cash in hand self empolyed as they suffer a catastrophic loss of income due to the C virus.     There that cheered you up didn't it.

I was thinking the same myself, thankfully I never got caught up in the drugs culture and nether did our daughter other than having to obtain evidence in her line of work, but watching various programs on TV the drugs culture is rife, I wonder how much this lock down will change peoples outlook on how they live their lives

The other thing is what will be the effects on these low lives when their source of income reduces/disappears, at the moment bulgery must be reducing with folk staying at home, with reduced numbers being allowed into shops at a time, theft must be harder and I guess with less people being out, there are fewer opportunities to rob folk

Another thought about Covid-19 and incomes.

The self- employed are now to be given aid, based upon their tax returns I believe. Now I'm not saying the vast majority of those workers are bad, but we all know that some will prefer cash-in-hand rather than cheques, cards, or money transfers, presumably so they can get a bit of "bonus" tax relief. Is this new handout going to hit them hard for their non-claimed past? I reckon there may be some at the edge of that group who could well be into, shall we say, the black market, and turn more to crime. Meanwhile as ever the mass carry on as best they can.

Stewart

4 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Another thought about Covid-19 and incomes.

The self- employed are now to be given aid, based upon their tax returns I believe. Now I'm not saying the vast majority of those workers are bad, but we all know that some will prefer cash-in-hand rather than cheques, cards, or money transfers, presumably so they can get a bit of "bonus" tax relief. Is this new handout going to hit them hard for their non-claimed past? I reckon there may be some at the edge of that group who could well be into, shall we say, the black market, and turn more to crime. Meanwhile as ever the mass carry on as best they can.

Stewart

We had some building work done two + years ago, the contractor employed both tradesmen and labourers. I paid the contractor via bank transfer, but I can see the labourers struggling as I doubt if some of them were on the books. Also I have a few friends in the building industry, most like cash jobs every now and then.  

I thought what about the travellers, I doubt if they ever fill in a tax return

Then there is a whole economy of migrants who have no work permits, many here illegally working for those who take advantage of them. Must be very frightening. I feel those who have taken advantage of then should be made financially responsible for them