13 hours ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Hi Neil, what manufacturer is SNCB 6106 from please.

Hi Brian,

Its a Van Biervliet one, but the box says its an LS Models exclusive.

I brought it as a replacement for my other class 60 (6041 the Kinkempois "Depot Pet" as was) which was a Kleinbahn one and had suffered from the Zinc Pest Rot, and the chassis had become a kit of parts..... I'd like to replace the chassis at some point on this model, but at the moment its just in my to do pile. Not sure what to use as a donor, as I'd want it DCC fitted with sound.

Back to the new 60 its a good model the only comment so far is the speaker struggles with the volume so I've turned the volume right down which seems better, just looking for the horn CV now!!

Will post a video at some point.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Hi Brian,

Its a Van Biervliet one, but the box says its an LS Models exclusive.

I brought it as a replacement for my other class 60 (6041 the Kinkempois "Depot Pet" as was) which was a Kleinbahn one and had suffered from the Zinc Pest Rot, and the chassis had become a kit of parts..... I'd like to replace the chassis at some point on this model, but at the moment its just in my to do pile. Not sure what to use as a donor, as I'd want it DCC fitted with sound.

Back to the new 60 its a good model the only comment so far is the speaker struggles with the volume so I've turned the volume right down which seems better, just looking for the horn CV now!!

Will post a video at some point.

Stay safe,

Neil

Hello Neil,

Thanks for the reply,

look forward to the video when you get round to it, by the way,  SNCB 2802 went light engine from Gosport to Dusseldorf, so i have credit on another model,

Keep safe.

I managed to fit my Klein Modellbahn 60  ( bought as a project, zinc rot!! ) onto a spare Roco Cl 62 chassis.  

Biggest faff was changing the bogie side frames over. The bogies centre frames get a bit fragile without the outers, especially around the Coupler pocket. 

HTH  

Ken

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andania 213 said:

I managed to fit my Klein Modellbahn 60  ( bought as a project, zinc rot!! ) onto a spare Roco Cl 62 chassis.  

Biggest faff was changing the bogie side frames over. The bogies centre frames get a bit fragile without the outers, especially around the Coupler pocket. 

HTH  

Ken

Thanks Ken, looking in the “B Diesel” book they do have the same bogie centres etc Just need to find a Roco donor chassis now for a reasonable price, as I’ve already got 12 different Roco 62’s already....

Stay safe,

Neil

Yet more Kadee couplers...

Having finished putting the magnets down thought I’d fit some more rolling  stock with Kadee’s, some of the stock hasn’t been on a layout for 25+ years since I moved out of my parents house. The remains of said layout are still there.

Here is a Piko 80 class on a car carrier and MU Sleeper.

SNCB 8045 - Piko

The original plan was to only fit Kadee couplers to a small number of locos and wagons but I seem to be well on with the loco fleet and have them on the ends of the passenger rakes and a few wagons. The idea being that the shed would undertake repairs on wagons occasionally. So they would arrive and need to be shunted hence the Kadee couplings, I am getting quite hooked on the hands free uncoupling.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

39 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

hi neil

nice one with the alternative track magnets.   which ones did you buy? 

ive contacted hmrc about the missed tax revenue on the class 60!

tim

Hi Tim,

Ended going with “First4magnets” 3mm cubes N42 magnets, I laid them in a row of 4, and superglue them down one row at a time. Even taping them down, they did move a little bit so a few aren’t straight, but they will be disguised in due course.

They did next day delivery which was a selling point as the ones i’d ordered from EBay took forever to turn up.

Thanks for letting HMRC know ;-)

Stay safe,

Neil

6106 sound clip

Had a play with 6106, the sound just sounded “dirty” to me. So I opened the loco up with a view of replacing the speaker with a better one. However there was a bit of metal sat on the speaker and I think this was vibrating and ruining the sound.

Removed the bit o metal and things improved a lot. As the loco is fitted with a Loksound V5 chip I’ve added “Drive Hold” and included a section on the end of this clip with it enabled.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 16:58, doctor quinn said:

I bought a Rivarossi SBB Bm4/4 with split gears ( it was cheap) and replaced them with a set found on eBay, I looked for the correct diameter and number of teeth. I did have to rewheel it with Peters Spares wheels as the original axles had splines and we’re too large a diameter for the axles - hence the brass sleeves outboard of the gears

1E217F49-FF32-4B76-8037-9C1068B2BDCF.jpeg

I have a Rivarossi Bm4/4 with exactly that problem, can I ask which gears/wheels you used? I have been trying to get hold of some Rivarossi spares but to no avail

The gears came from eBay, I searched for the right diameter and number of teeth and the wheels were from Peter’s Spares intended for OO Lima coaches. However they are too big (12mm diameter) and a bit coarse so I’m probably going to change them for 10.5mm wheels from Locos & Stuff. The gears fit on a 2mm axle with some easing with a brooch. I also made cuffs from brass tube to reduce the tendency to waddle. 

Yet another 51...

Not much visible process on the layout, I’d like to get the backscene painted but need the weather to warm up a lot so I can paint outside, rather than in my office / man cave where I don’t have much space.

Yet another arrival, my 4th class 51, this one in a slightly different livery. This loco fits in the 1980’s time period, although the pictures I can find it seems to have gained the additional yellow band on the front at some point.

SNCB 5150 - Mehano

SNCB 5150 - Mehano

I’ve fitted Kadee’s to most of the diesel fleet now. I have had a few issues with the Trix / Marklin models, the little magnets I have installed for uncoupling are a bit to powerful and they pull the couplers down and out of alignment. This is the same as the Mehano 51’s so I’ll find a fix for these in due course.

On another matter still trying to find the right gear wheels to fix the Mehano 77 I mentioned before. Need to do more searching on eBay.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 3

Not much happening...

Just a bit of playing trains. Firstly I’ve time travelled back to the early 1980’s (a time when I was still in school and had yet to go to Europe to ride around on trains) but I can look at pictures in books and online....

Here a selection of green diesels are stabled outside the depot building.

1970’s Depot

One addition this week is a EMD 567 16 cylinder power unit from Walthers, which is same unit as in a Belgian Nohab class 52, 53 and 54. The Belgian loco’s do have a different exhaust arrangement, so I’ve slightly modified the kit. This will be painted when the weather improves. Not sure my depot would have ever lifted power units as I think this was only undertaken at Salzinnes Workshops or Antwerp Dam Depot but rule one applies so I have a power unit on a Kbs flat.

EMD 567 Power Unit

One quick video 5403 arrives on a ECS, is uncoupled and is then stabled. Loco is by Roco, my only criticism of this model is Roco have chosen a numbered loco without rheostatic brakes, but the bodyshell is of a rheostatic braked example, one day I might renumber it rather than hack the roof around.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Flashing Lights 

Still not managed to paint the backscene so been carrying on with other odd jobs.

As I mentioned earlier this layout is planned to be a fully DCC one without a control panel, with everything being controlled by an iPad/phone or a Roco Multimaus controller.

One of the features I want to include is an open level crossing on the bypass line this so that road vehicles can get access the loco shed.

Previously I would just have connected a switch on the panel but going DCC this isn’t an option, so I’ve invested in a Roco Switch Decoder to switch the crossing on and off.

After reading the manual I ended up programming it using the Z21 Maintenance Program on the laptop which was actually very straightforward.

Here’s a demo of it working prior to being installed on the layout. For ease of installation I think I will glue a couple of tubes on the bases to ease installation.

Next electrical job will be to get the signal working.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Bridge

The temporary cardboard bridge has been replaced by a semi temporary foam board alternative. I will stick this all together and cover the bases with concrete paper or plasticard.

The actual girder bridge will be sprayed in due course when it warms up a bit outside. The bridge will probably end up a light blue colour.

Bridge End of the Layout

The water tower will act as partial view blocker.

Bridge and Watertower

Here’s the bus on bridge picture, is there a layout that doesn’t have a bus on it?

Belgian Bus on a Bridge

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 6

New Shed

Using my new favourite material a temporary shed has arrived to replace its cardboard mock up !!

Its a bit rough but it gives an impression of what I’m trying to achieve.

Temporary Shed in Foamboard

Looking out of the shed

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

Let there be light

One thing I’ve wanted to do with this layout is to include integrated lighting (another first for me). I’ve added a strip of colour changing LED’s from Amazon. I only needed 5 feet of the 5 metre strip.

Let There Be Light

I might add a second strip to warm the light up a bit in due course.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 4

Its gone blue...

As Spring has finally arrived in the West of Scotland and it’s got a bit warmer I’ve managed to get the first coat on the backscene and sides have been painted blue.

Backscene First Coat

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 3

Backscene painted and front surround refitted.

Painted Backscene

I’ve also been carrying on with the depot building, I’m already on version 3 of the foam board shell the opening has been raised by 5mm. I’m adding “concrete” to the front of the building, brickwork will be added in due course, then I need to find a suitable paint to go on the foamboard. Will normal Precision Paints / Humberol work on it?

Shed Building

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Will normal Precision Paints / Humberol work on it?

Is it the kind of sandwiched foamboard that has a paper/card surface to it?  I use a Humbrol light grey as an undercoat to seal it and then use enamels over that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Is it the kind of sandwiched foamboard that has a paper/card surface to it?  I use a Humbrol light grey as an undercoat to seal it and then use enamels over that.

Yeap thats the stuff, will give that a try, thanks very much.

DCC wiring is just 2 wires, right...

Had the layout on its side to fit the Roco Accessory unit and have fitted the lights for the ungated level crossing.

DCC is only 2 wires...

Here’s a quick video, just need to run a train by now.

Next job is to work out how to wire up this signal. I have purchased the B Models decoder to do with it, just can’t seem to program it with the Z21.

B Models Signal

Stay safe everyone,

Neil 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I’ve now got the B Models signal working, in the end I gave up with their decoder and just wired it into the Roco Switch Decoder that operates the level crossing.

Here’s a quick video of the Piko 80 class passing over the level crossing (with flashing lights) and pulling up to the signal, the signal coming off and then departing.

As I’m only using 3 switches on the Roco Switch Decoder this does limit the signals functionality a bit. So the signal only shows red / green the shunt indicator and the route indicator. In reality this is enough possible options for its location on the layout.

I’ve ordered some shunt signals which should hopefully turn up next week, so next electrical job will be to wire those in.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

I’ve carried on working on the depot building and started added some brick work (Flemish bond of course).

Locoshed so far

As I was on leave today I’ve put the longer fiddle yard up so the Mehano class 41 DMU has had its first run on the layout.

SNCB 4193 - Mehano

Quick picture along the Depot walkway with a Roco class 62 on the fuelling point.

SNCB 6218 & 4193

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ground Signals

Just a quick update, I have fitted a few DCC Concepts 2 aspect ground signals which make a passable impression of Belgian signals. They will be painted in due course.

I had hoped to wire them into the Roco Z21 accessory switch decoder. However this proved not to be possible as the DCC Concepts signals only have 2 wires and it works by switching polarity to change the aspect. I dropped DCC Concepts an email about this and they suggested I needed a Mimic Panel, which was easy to set up and wire into the Accessory Bus.

The only issue I had was when using the Roco Handset I had to add 4 to the Accessory Decoders number.to make it work and change the signal aspects.

i’m definitely modelling at the edge of my comfort zone!!!

Here’s a picture of 5404 in the carriage sidings, with the new signals.

Dcc Concepts - Ground Signal

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2