2 LS Models Arrivals

After last week when I fitted the ground signals, I’ve put a couple of additional magnetic uncouplers which will allow some further moves to take, place hands free.

I’ve also reduced the number of uncoupling magnet bars from 5 to 4 as some would manage to uncouple whenever a train passed over them!! It does mean you have to be quite precise to get the delayed uncoupling to work though.

Couple of additions worthy of note, both by LS Models. A class 15 numbered 1502, the class finished their passenger duties on Liege to Gouvy services in 2004 and a class 13 which entered traffic in 1997. The class were designed for mixed traffic duties but ended up being split between Cargo and Passenger. The locomotive is one of the B Cargo ones.

SNCB 1306 and 1502 LS Models

I have previously struggled with getting directional headlights to work in DCC on LS Models locomotives. Anyway I experimented with the class 13, and found out that if you enable AUX3 and 4 and have the cab lights on it works!!!

I have a SNCB class 27 which I’d previously given up on, but tried the above combination on it and much to my surprise it worked without any issues!!!

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

First update for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately my Dad passed away and I had to head back to Bristol to help sort things out. His passing was very sudden and not at all expected, we only found out his illness was terminal on the afternoon and he passed peacefully that evening. So this has meant my time has been used elsewhere. My Dad started me on my modelling journey and made my first baseboard and laid the track when I was still in primary school.

I have managed a bit of modelling and I’ve fitted the remaining DCC concepts ground signals and connected these up, so the layout is fully signalled and also linked into the route setting in the Z21, this gives a whole new dimension to the operation of the layout, you just call a route and the signals and points change as appropriate. I have even added the level crossing into the system.

One thing I wasn’t really happy with was the lighting of the layout, so I’ve added a second strip of LED’s behind the front surround. This means I can run one strip being white the other being red. This in my opinion gives a better more natural feel. The picture below is unedited in any way, and doesn’t use any camera trickery.

SNCB 2611 - Mehano

I did have a running session the other week with the diesel shed representing a wagon repair works. I always have had a soft spot for shunting, going back through all my layouts. Everything was done handsfree using Kadee’s couplers and was great fun. One idea I’ve had for exhibiting (if I’m ever invited) is to start the morning in the 1980’s and finish in the present day’ish. As time progress’s the loco depot winds down as units take over the passenger services, the local industry closes, so the depot becomes a wagon works and then finishes up as a Infrabel depot. Would need to take a lot of stock with me!!!

SNCB wagon repair workshop

One bit of rolling stock has been added this a 3 Coach I11 set with DVT. I duly got hammered customs and handling which turned a good value purchase on eBay into a less good deal. The lights can be DCC controlled so it will be chipped in due course.

SNCB I11 Driving Trailer - LS Models

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the kind words after my Dad’s passing. It was a nice funeral if you can have such a thing, we gave him a good send off.

Having returned to Scotland and back to modelling, I’ve been building the fuel point, which looks similar to the one that was at Gouvy.

I’ve built a raised platform, from plasticard and the fuelling rig was made with different types of wire. The lamp was a cheap N gauge one from EBay, and will be wired up in due course. The platform has also been weathered.

Here is the progress so far:

SNCB Fuelling Point

SNCB Fuelling Point

After the fuel point is finished I’ll move on to my least favourite job, ballasting.....

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 3

Fuelling Point

Following yesterday’s update here is another.

Fuelling Point is pretty finished, now that I’ve added a equipment cupboard. I just used a OO scale relay cabinet I had in my spares box, I filled the back flat and sprayed it yellow. The no smoking sign is actually from a Czech Model which I removed the text from. I’m quite pleased with the overall effect.

SNCB Fuelling Point

SNCB Fuelling Point

Here’s what I was trying to recreate, it’s not identical but looks right. Photo is one I found on Flickr.

NMBS 5507 @ Gouvy

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 8

First Ballast Drop

Ballasting has started and temporarily stopped, ran out of glue!!!

I’ve been using Ballast Bond for the first time rather than just some PVA glue. On first impressions it goes down very smoothly after wetting the surface with a drop of washing up liquid.

The colour dries slightly darker having been stuck down. I’m using Woodland Scenics Grey Ballast.

Here’s a picture of an Infrabel class 62 having unloaded its ballast…

Ballast Drop in progress

Ballasting has started!!

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, bluedepot said:

nice work with fuel point and ballasting 

ive got the roco loco 6242 as well

are you going to buy any lineas livery locos or anything modern? 

tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the comments, I'm quite pleased with the fuel point.

I had sort of planned to stop about 2010'ish, however I broke my own rule as I purchased a Piko model of a 29 (E186).

I have looked at a Roco 186 in Lineas livery a few times but not taken the plunge (yet). I guess if someone produced a correct class 77 (SNCB one) in Lineas colours I might be tempted, its a shame Mehano went to the wall as they would have done by now I'm sure.

I already have a token 66 but that's a D-HGK liveried one. I did think about getting a Trix Lineas one but couldn't really justify the expense on something I'm not that bothered about !!! That said if a cheap'ish one passed in front of my nose I might be tempted.

My interest in Belgium really waned when the diesel hauled passenger trains finished and its this time period plus a few years I'm trying to create.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 2

More ballasting…..

More Ballasting!!

While I was waiting for it to dry I sprayed my buffer stop. This was a Lanarkshire models LMS/BR one which I widened and added a coffee stirrer to make a beam. I think it makes a passable example. The base will be covered in ballast in due course.

Belgian Buffer Stops

Here’s a suitable prototype, photo from FlickR.

NMBS K-Rijtuigen en tanks Leopoldsburg 30 maart 1989

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i look forward to seeing the lineas livery traxx on your layout soon then! 

mehano are releasing new models (vossloh g1000) so are you sure they have gone bust? 

i hope someone makes a better sncb class 77 one day with metal handrails and separate light controls. 

cheers 

tim

On 04/07/2021 at 18:47, bluedepot said:

mehano are releasing new models (vossloh g1000) so are you sure they have gone bust? 

Mehano used to manufacture in Slovenia. They eventually went bust and some (most?) of the tooling ended up in China. Lemke seems to have access to some of it and can do production runs but I don't think Mehano exists as an independent entity anymore.

The 77 was good for it's time but things have moved on since then.

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens
spelling correction
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I must be honest the Vossloh G1000 family confuses me, not helped by manufacturers repainting models in different liveries.

This started with Lillput and their NS6400's which are a development of the MAK De1002, their model was too short, I think Marklin / Trix was the correct version.

The Belgian 77's are a development of the G1205, which is a metre longer than a G1206 and has a different fan arrangement... 2 instead of 1. 

I wonder if Lemke will ever get around to producing the 77's. I guess the market is quite limited as they are have only carried SNCB / Lineas liveries. Where as the G1206 was sold to loads of different companies.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neils WRX said:

I wonder if Lemke will ever get around to producing the 77's.

Yes to G1000 family is frustrating!

I suspect that Lemke will eventually, if the have the tooling. It's been many years since the SNCB 77 was available and there will be demand for another run. If Lemke don't do another run then I wouldn't be surprised if another manufacture was to do one. The 77 will be around for many years to come and are as common on the Belgian scene now as they always have been (near enough!)

Luke

• Like 2

Back from holiday up north (nearest station to the cottage was Helmsdale). Despite visiting the former Lybster station site as well as Wick and Thurso stations. I managed not to come back with plans for a “might have been” Scottish Region layout in the 1980’s using Ian Futers 3 or 4 points system…..

Back to the Belgian depot, ballasting has continued.

Back to Ballasting

The buffer stop stop has been bedded in.

Bedded in Buffer Stop

SNCB Lilliput Glms Van

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ballasting finished (at last)

Ballasting pretty much finished.

Just need to patch a couple of spots and ballast the first few inches of the fiddle yard.

Here are a few pictures and a video.

Ballast is a mix of medium and fine ballast on the shoulders.

Ballasting nearly complete

Ballasting nearly complete!!

Ballasting nearly complete

6244 starts up and departs the fuelling point.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

As ballasting is pretty much complete the fascia has been fitted to the front of the layout.

I’m planning to paint this grey in due course.

Layout Fascia Panel

Next job will be to ballast the first 10 cm of the fiddle yard. This is so when you look through the bridge you will see ballast rather than wood!!

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1