Two Bridges

One thing I have been considering, is the bridge at the scenic break end of the layout.

The original idea was a laser cut girder bridge. But I don’t think this is really suitable for a road over bridge.

Scenic Break - Bridge A

Plan B is a more conventional precast concrete and girder bridge. 

Scenic Break - Bridge B

You have to use your imagination a bit the the piers will be brick supports, there will be railings up to bridge.

There will of course be a bus on the bridge!!

Bus on a bridge!!

You can see it better on option B.

Stay safe,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX

"A" is winning so far !! I do like the extra height it gives the layout.

I deliberately doubled up the thickness as I wanted it to look very chunky. I did find a bridge that looked a little similar in Belgium on the internet. It does obscure the bus a bit to much though....

Stay safe,

Neil

• RMweb Premium
On 27/07/2021 at 21:11, Neils WRX said:

One thing I have been considering, is the bridge at the scenic break end of the layout.

The original idea was a laser cut girder bridge. But I don’t think this is really suitable for a road over bridge.

Scenic Break - Bridge A

Scenic Break - Bridge B

You have to use your imagination a bit the the piers will be brick supports, there will be railings up to bridge.

There will of course be a bus on the bridge!!

Bus on a bridge!!

You can see it better on option B.

Stay safe,

Neil

Hi Neil.  I’ve not commented here before but I think your Czech layout is great and I really like the way this one is developing.  I’m not an expert on Belgian Railways (or European rail in general), but if I may offer an amateur observation on the bridge options based on the photos:

Like others, I’m impressed with the girder bridge (A), but I just wonder if that type of bridge might more commonly be seen crossing a wider span, or a deeper valley.  If that’s the case, then to make it fit here, I would change the pillars (not the bridge), and have sloping grassed or concrete embankments instead.  

Just a thought (feel free to ignore).  Hope that’s OK, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(Post edited as I didn’t keep a copy of a sketch previously posted as a photo)
  • Like 1

Yes I like the girder bridge too. I think it helps take your eye away from the scene break. The layout is certainly looking good and getting me thinking about building something portable....

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 21:11, Neils WRX said:

Two Bridges

Scenic Break - Bridge B

Definitely option B!

The bridge over the depot tracks would have been built / rebuilt at the same time as the depot so wouldn't be as dramatic as a a large arch bridge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.231737,4.4195002,3a,75y,114.38h,94.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHFw1EV9IzKzTSwfKdQUnyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

image.png.a27286973a3bcfbe36de2b599eb78f05.png

(C) Google Earth 2021

The above is the google earth side view of the bridge crossing the tracks (now removed tracks) outside Antwerpen Dam depot.

It's low and calm, with typical SNCB concrete structure.

Luke

• Like 1

16 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

Definitely option B!

The bridge over the depot tracks would have been built / rebuilt at the same time as the depot so wouldn't be as dramatic as a a large arch bridge.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.231737,4.4195002,3a,75y,114.38h,94.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHFw1EV9IzKzTSwfKdQUnyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

image.png.a27286973a3bcfbe36de2b599eb78f05.png

(C) Google Earth 2021

The above is the google earth side view of the bridge crossing the tracks (now removed tracks) outside Antwerpen Dam depot.

It's low and calm, with typical SNCB concrete structure.

Luke

Luke,

Agree B is a lot more prototypical, the Streetview pictures also have a wealth of detail on the pillars.

If you look on the N1 from above I think that bridge has been replaced at some stage as well so the brick work is original but the deck has changed.

I think I might work both up in parallel.

One other bridge that I had in my head was this one, which is much newer construction.

HLD .6312 @ Lier

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

If you look on the N1 from above I think that bridge has been replaced at some stage as well so the brick work is original but the deck has changed.

I would have expected to the have been damanged during WW2. Main entrance to Antwerpen Dam Depot: must have been a major target of both sides!

No modelling just playing trains... I only have one sound fitted electric locomotive. Here is 2611 arriving on a ECS uncoupling and running round. The sound file is from ESU website. Please ignore the lack of OHLE it  will come in due course.

I also got the proper camera out and took a few pictures. Here are 3 Nohab’s on shed. The locos are all by Roco and the 82 shunter is by Piko.

SNCB Diesels on Shed

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Another not much has happened update... Managed a few little jobs but have been playing trains again so here are a couple of videos.

First here 6218 starts up and moves off the depot. The loco is by Roco, fitted with a ESU Loksound V5 chip.

Next is an enthusiast special arrives, and everybody runs about taking pictures, then the horn blows and it departs again. The locomotive is 5404 by B-Models / Van Biervliet factory fitted with a ESU Loksound chip and the coaches are type K1 by OVB. These vehicles were common on rail tours in the 1990’s.

The only issue is my fiddle yard isn’t long enough for a loco and 3 coaches...

Hopefully next time I’ll have some actual modelling to show. 

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Another slow month as I’ve been busy doing other stuff.

I have still been working on the low relief depot building, adding concrete and experimenting with the roof style to get something I’m happy with.

Belgian Depots all look quite similar in design, I hope this looks “right”.

Here is progress so far, plenty still to do including painting it :

SNCB Low Relief Shed Building

I’ve also gained yet another project. Many years ago I purchased a model of a SNCB class 60 (numbered 6041 which is preserved at Kinkempois Depot) by Kleinmodellbahn. Unfortunately the model suffered from the “Zinc Pest” and the chassis split, which inturn split the body shell, rendering the model useless. However a couple of months ago I read on a Belgian forum that someone was producing replacement chassis and circuit boards for easy DCC conversion. So several emails back and forth and I have the necessary bits, just need the time to make it now.

SNCB 6041 - will live again

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Another bits and pieces update. 

I am planning to add a line of trees at the rear of the layout which will be on the grass/weedy area so to get an idea if it looks right I ripped up a couple of pieces of static grass sheet I just laid them at the back to get an idea how it might look. This is my normal method of construction, put something temporary down then replace in due course. On the Czech layout there is an embankment that has been there for 20 years awaiting replacement….

To create the illusion of depth for trees will probably be no more than 15-20 cm high.

Strip of Grass

I have also carried on working on the shed and added the depot offices on the side this was produced from slaters sheets of brick (Flemish bond of course) and concrete. The windows and doors are from a Kibri Belgian station kit.

Work on the shed continues

A view across the shed front.

Another view of the shed

I will confess I do like playing trains so here is the little 0-4-0 shunter 9101 by Van Biervliet departing the fuel point after a top up.

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 8

Despite having a list of jobs as long as my arm to do on the layout I’ve always wanted an “engineers train”. I was tempted to order the Marklin set that came out earlier this year but thought £150 was quite steep especially as I already have the suitable wagons.

So I’ve ordered and built a Kibri excavator kit (an Atlas 1604). This is to go on the back of a bogie flat wagon. This will be sprayed with Matt varnish in due course. I also have a portacabin (again Kibri) I’ve added mesh over the windows. Again this will get a coat of Matt varnish. The third wagon is a Roco Kbs with a sand load. All I need now are some pipes and cable drums to complete the look.

Atlas 1604 - Kibri

Kibri Portacabin

Engineers Train

I just can’t resist playing trains… in the last update the class 91 shunter departed, here it is again this time propelling a single M2 coach and then departing on the depot staff train which works to the nearby station. A similar working used to take place every day at Mons.

Another quick sequence here 5931 arrives from the carriage sidings and is stabled on shed, the loco is by Van Biervliet.

Next 5183 departs, having been fuelled, this is a Mehano model, with Dloc sounds. I’ve had to remove the Kadee couplers as my mini uncoupling magnets, are a bit to strong for the mountings, so that’s another job for the future....

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got a steam engine!!!

Roco have released a suitable steam engine. The engine in question is 26.101 which is owned by a Belgian preservation group. The locomotive did have authority to run on the mainline and I rode behind it a number of times, including through the Bruxelles Tunnels. Bruxelles Central station smelt of smoke for the rest of the day...

SNCB 26.101 - Roco

The loco in question is a former Polish Ty2, which the preservation group repainted to look like one of the SNCB version. SNCB originally had 100 which were built in 1944-1945, hence the loco being numbered the next in the sequence. The last Belgian ones were withdrawn at the end of steam in 1967.

Here is a quick sequence of it running on to the depot avoiding line.

https://youtu.be/fVv5HI1voH0

The layout now has a Facebook page, as I was getting fed up with all the ads on this site making the whole experience less enjoyable.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
Images didn’t imbed properly
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Must be honest I’m using this site less due to the pop up video’s which are very annoying on the PC. But luckily are not there on the phone.

A few bits and pieces to mention work has carried on, on the depot building and roof. The roof has had its first coat of paint. Might get a spray over with either green to indicate moss, or light grey to indicate a replaced roof.

Depot Roof

Still not quite sure on the correct colour for the concrete bits. I struggle with this every time!!!

I’ve added some Slaters brick sheets to the bridge supports, again these will be painted and weathered. Think I’m going to with a cream colour brick with a dark colour mortar, as per a post further up the thread. They will then get a good load of graffiti as per the”prototype”.

The Bridge

The layout has also been moved for the first time since assembly, as I wanted to paint the front and side, so I moved it into the “garden room” as it has more space.

Painted Surround

Also experimenting with a cobbled area beyond the water tower, just placed for the moment.

Cobblestones - Faller 170646

Cobblestones - Faller 170646

Couple of “drone” pictures.

Drone Pictures!!

Drone Pictures!!

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

As I occasionally put Danish models on the Czech thread here’s the latest arrival which will see use on the future Train Ferry layout (hopefully).

A MT by MCK, ordered from a shop in Denmark.

DSB MT 156 - MCK

Sorry to wander off topic…

Stay safe,

Neil

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Still not quite sure on the correct colour for the concrete bits. I struggle with this every time!!!

Neil, I use an absolutely ancient tinlet of Humbrol HS 202 "Concrete" which has just the right greenish-grey tinge to it and that I am trying to eke out for as long as possible...

HS202.JPG.4fcf54c7d84076a985fdc29a66c80147.JPG

The "Aces of Iron" conversion chart http://acesofiron.com/conversion.htm says that the modern equivalent is Humbrol 95, but I haven't tried it.

Cheers,

Peter,

Edited by TT-Pete
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Must be honest I’m using this site less due to the pop up video’s which are very annoying on the PC. But luckily are not there on the phone.

Yes, I'm finding the same. Occasional pop-ups I can managed but this lot are getting in the way of using the site...

Luke

• Like 1